Best Music of 2020

Life has thrown me a curveball over the past few months so music wasn't sounding good. NOTHING was holding my attention.

I'm pleased to say that Caribou's Suddenly is the first album in months that has sounded good to me, front to back (except Sister, which I don't enjoy). I'm not ready to declare it the best of the year. I'm just excited that an album is grabbing me!!!! YAY!

Last edited:
What is everyone's wantlist for this month? As far as new releases to look out for in March. For me it's U.S. Girls and Caroline Rose.
These are what I'm looking forward to hearing.
This Week
R.A.P. Ferreira - Purple Moonlight Pages (hip-hop)
Pears - S/T (Punk)
Rest of the Month
Carnosus - Dogma of the Deceased (Metal)
Blanck Mass - Calm With Horses (Electronic/Score)
Somni - Home (Electronic)
Circles Around the Sun - S/T (Jam)
Temple of Void - The World that Was (Metal)
The Chats - High Risk Behavior (Punk)

Last edited:
Meant to post this at the beginning of the week but havent gotten a chance until now. This year has already been a crazy good year for jazz, and there have been some really good hip hop releases as well. My favorites from February are below:

Navy Blue - Àdá Irin
Spectacular Diagnostics - Raw Unknown
Antibalas - Fu Chronicles
D Smoke - Black Habits
Boldy James & Alchemist - The Price of Tea in China
Gil Scott-Heron & Makaya McCraven - We're New Again - A Reimagining by Makaya McCraven
Against All Logic - 2017-2019
The Heliocentrics - Infinity of Now
Moses Boyd - Dark Matter
Tame Impala - The Slow Rush
Moses Sumney - græ: Part 1
Vic Spencer - Psychological Cheat Sheet
Caribou - Suddenly
Alabaster DePlume - To Cy & Lee: Instrumentals Vol. 1
Jeremy Cunningham - The Weather Up There

This is my top ten so far:
Katie Pruitt - Expectations
Monophonics - It’s Only Us
Moses Sumney - Grae part 1
Devon Gilfillian - Black Hole Rainbow
Bonny Light Horseman
Swamp Dogg - Sorry You Couldn’t Make It
The Third Mind
The Secret Sisters - Saturn Return
Jungle Fire

This Ratboys album is very good. I was turned off of them just by seeing their name. I thought they were a grungy punk band but that’s not the case at all. Like Waxahatchee meets Kississippi.
i, too, like everything about ratboys except for their silly name

Two other recent albums I can recommend if you liked that Ratboys:

Gladie - Safe Sins (featuring members of the now-defunct Cayetana and Modern Baseball)
Snarls - Burst

1) Grimes- Miss Anthroposcene [indie electronica / pop]
2) Porridge Radio- Every Bad [rock]
3) Caribou- Suddenly [electronic]
4) Moses Boyd- Dark Matter [jazz / acid house] (thanks guys)
5) Nicolas Jaar- Cenizas [electronica]
6) Moses Sumney- grae: Part 1
7) Allie X: Cape God [pop]
8) Four Tet: Sixteen Oceans [electronic)
8) Jay Electronica: A Written Testimony
9) R.A.P. Ferreria: Purple Moonlit Pages
10) Katie Pruitt: Expectations

Everything else has been meaningless or disappointing (A.A.L, Quinlan, Rose, Soccer Mommy). Really intrigued by the new Car Seat Headrest, Jessie Ware, Haim and Four Tet singles though.

Also- wtf- stop paying attention to VMP and they go and drop Songs for the Deaf. Sigh.

Last edited:
Also, I made a playlist of my top 220 albums of last decade after spending the past 3 months whittling down the top 50 lists I made at the end of every year. Unfortunately, it starts at #1 (To Pimp A Butterfly). Sort of wish it was in reverse order. But since this is one of the few threads I frequent, I thought I'd leave it here.

This is my top ten so far:
Katie Pruitt - Expectations
Monophonics - It’s Only Us
Moses Sumney - Grae part 1
Devon Gilfillian - Black Hole Rainbow
Bonny Light Horseman
Swamp Dogg - Sorry You Couldn’t Make It
The Third Mind
The Secret Sisters - Saturn Return
Jungle Fire

Did you get the webstore exclusive of Katie Pruitt? Kind of wishing I would have bit on that. It was 31.00 shipped but I know it is only going to go up in value. Saw her in store and got my copy signed so I guess all is not lost.

Did you get the webstore exclusive of Katie Pruitt? Kind of wishing I would have bit on that. It was 31.00 shipped but I know it is only going to go up in value. Saw her in store and got my copy signed so I guess all is not lost.

Country isn't usually my jam so I've ignored the praise for this. Just listened to Expectations on a whim... I dunno if Golden Hour broke me or if it's that this album has the same reliance on indie rock textures... but I dig it.

Back