Baseball

yeah....I don't know what the hell is going on with these guys.

Good luck to the Nats.

Whoever they play, they'll at least be good competition.

Good luck to the Nationals I hope ya'll take this to the World Series

this is insane I guess the Cardinals decided not to show up to play a game 4

to be fair (letterkenny voices please) the braves blew it and should have swept the cards. maybe it was ineffective management of the pen, or youth - but it is kind of karma-riffic that in the most likely final game of the nlcs; the cards were down 7-0 after dumping on atlanta in their last game. pretty ironic actually.

still. i dont see anyone beating the stros. just too damn dominant in all facets.

I always forget there’s a baseball thread here (and a misc forum, generally)

- I love playoff baseball
- Really hoping for a Nats/Astros World Series. Has there ever been a better potential starting pitching matchup than Scherzer/Strasburg/Corbin vs Verlander/Cole/Greinke? Every game would be absolutely nuts
- Rooting for the Nats, as a Dbacks fan, as they have about 87 former Dbacks on their team, and all are very likable. Would especially love to see Daniel Hudson get a ring for all that he’s been through, and because he seems like one of the most solid athletes, personality-wise, that you’ll ever come across
- But now that the Dodgers are out...Anybody but the Yankees is fine with me
- I love playoff baseball

This is pretty much the best case scenario for me in the World Series. Was really dreading a Cards/Yanks WS. Now, I can be happy for either team, although I think I'll be rooting for the Nats because NL and lol Harper. Or maybe the Astros because of Michael Brantley. Hmmmm...

This is the match up that scares me. I would much rather destroy the Yankees and put their horrible fans (all present company excluded) in their place. The Astros are STACKED

But this will be fun, no matter the outcome.

Astros and Nats seem to have the same basic approach with their teams. Emphasis on strong starting pitching. Glad that we are hopefully past the bullpen starters stuff for the year, at least with our opposition, but the starting arms they will be putting out there are impressive.

Nats will have had a long period off come Tuesday, and that could have them a bit rusty in Game 1. They were so hot after tearing through the Cardinals...maybe they cooled off a bit? Once again, Greinke will be sort of the X-factor for the Astros. I wish I felt more confident about him in the postseason. If he can throw at least one good outing, and eat up some solid innings in his starts, that will go a long way. I'm glad they have him as the third, but, honestly, I would prefer to have Wade Miley in his May-July form as the third starter. He was such a great counter from the power pitching of Verlander and Cole, he induced ground balls (which tend to be less stressful, particularly in Minute Maid Park), and he pitched fast (which kind of keeps batters off balance). But, he lost whatever he had somewhere around August. I was glad to see that Ryan Pressly's knee issue wasn't as serious as everyone first thought. Some scar tissue came loose apparently, He will supposedly be available for the World Series. He isn't as strong as he was pre-All Star Game, but he can still be an effective guy to get a few outs late in games.

I think the Nats starting rotation is deeper. The Astros bats, even in some of the wins against the Yankees, still weren't great. The Astros had some big timely hits, but the New York bullpen did a pretty great job on them considering how much they were asked to do in some of those games. I feel like Yordan has hit the wall that many minor leaguers hit their rookie year in the bigs. Maybe he can make some adjustments over the next few days, but he had so many situations in the New York series where he could have made a positive impact, and it just wasn't even close to happening for him. Until his big homer in Game 6, Yuli was really unlucky. He was hitting the ball really hard, but right at people. Maybe that homer will get him going again.

It should be a fun series, and hopefully the games will be a little bit shorter with all of the great pitching involved. These bullpen heavy games with the Rays and Yankees have felt so long. I'm really hoping the more traditional pitching matchups will benefit the Astros bats.

Last edited:
Astros and Nats seem to have the same basic approach with their teams. Emphasis on strong starting pitching. Glad that we are hopefully past the bullpen starters stuff for the year, at least with our opposition, but the starting arms they will be putting out there are impressive.

Nats will have had a long period off come Tuesday, and that could have them a bit rusty in Game 1. They were so hot after tearing through the Cardinals...maybe they cooled off a bit? Once again, Greinke will be sort of the X-factor for the Astros. I wish I felt more confident about him in the postseason. If he can throw at least one good outing, and eat up some solid innings in his starts, that will go a long way. I'm glad they have him as the third, but, honestly, I would prefer to have Wade Miley in his May-July form as the third starter. He was such a great counter from the power pitching of Verlander and Cole, he induced ground balls (which tend to be less stressful, particularly in Minute Maid Park), and he pitched fast (which kind of keeps batters off balance). But, he lost whatever he had somewhere around August. I was glad to see that Ryan Pressly's knee issue wasn't as serious as everyone first thought. Some scar tissue came loose apparently, He will supposedly be available for the World Series. He isn't as strong as he was pre-All Star Game, but he can still be an effective guy to get a few outs late in games.

I think the Nats starting rotation is deeper. The Astros bats, even in some of the wins against the Yankees, still weren't great. The Astros had some bit timely hits, but the New York bullpen did a pretty great job on them considering how much they were asked to do in some of those games. I feel like Yordan has hit the wall that many minor leaguers hit their rookie year in the bigs. Maybe he can make some adjustments over the next few days, but he had so many situations in the New York series where he could have made a positive impact, and it just wasn't even close to happening for him. Until his big homer in Game 6, Yuli was really unlucky. He was hitting the ball really hard, but right at people. Maybe that homer will get him going again.

It should be a fun series, and hopefully the games will be a little bit shorter with all of the great pitching involved. These bullpen heavy games with the Rays and Yankees have felt so long. I'm really hoping the more traditional pitching matchups will benefit the Astros bats.
So many nats fans are thrilled we had a week off. I'm not. For the reason you stated. I think they'll be rusty and have lost some of that magical momentum.

I'm looking forward to these pitching match ups. Some of the best pitchers in mlb facing off. This is a series for purists. I can't wait.

Back