August 2021 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread: Summer Loving

Day 04: Pioneering Artists!
Today would have been Louis Armstrong’s Birthday. Armstrong massively influenced jazz and pushed the music from collective improvisation to solo performances. He wasn’t the only pioneering musician though, so share some others and let us know how they shaped their genre

The one and only FZ. I can’t say more than what has already been said over the years about this inimitable artist. Damn I miss him.

20210804_173108.jpg

5th August - Hens Teeth!

Play a rarity from your collection. It could be a low pressing, signed copy, expensive, sought after....

I have back to back meetings tomorrow and then a Board meeting in the evening so I am posting a little early (still after midnight in the UK)

Tina Brooks - Back to the Tracks (1990 withdrawn Japanese promo pressing)

Recorded later in 1960 after his True Blue sessions. The recordings sat on the shelf until 1985 when they were released as part of the Complete Tina Brooks box set. This copy is a Japanese promo copy that was withdrawn at the last minute just before being released in 1990. A cd of the album was released in Japan in 1993 but a vinyl copy of the stand alone record would not be released until 1999.
6CAE4CF5-BF35-4E7F-B339-6B6A8667F03A.jpeg

2nd August - “With my music, I create change…I am using my music as a weapon”

Afrobeat is a style I should have more of, I just don't have that much.

Lafayette Afro-Rock Band ‎– Malik
Topomic Music/Vinyl Me, Please ‎– VMP-039, 1974/2018

Numbered/Limited to 1500, #590

Pressed at GZ

wSkWxo.jpg

WYoC7W.jpg

3rd August - @Selaws Birthday!

Happy belated Birthday!!!

1977 was the year of Rumours. Since that came out early in the year (February), most other release couldn't really compete.

This one gets me some imaginary bonus points for being released in March 1977

Emerson Lake & Palmer ‎– Works (Volume 1)
Atlantic ‎– SD 2-7000, 1977

Cut by Dennis King at Atlantic Studios
Pressed at Presswell

UH21Li.jpg

1aYQ1u.jpg

4th August - Pioneering Artists!
Today would have been Louis Armstrong’s Birthday. Armstrong massively influenced jazz and pushed the music from collective improvisation to solo performances. He wasn’t the only pioneering musician though, so share some others and let us know how they shaped their genre.

Boards of Canada - Music Has a Right to Children

You can hear this album reverberating through many first albums of the next generation of mellower electronic musicians, but also in places like Radiohead's "All I Need."

20200517_123640-jpg.47486

Day 4 - Pioneering Artists
Indigo Girls
The mix of Amy’s punk/DIY style with Emily’s jazz leaning folk with their amazing harmonies and counter melodies.
I couldn’t pick one album so I took a mix.
Indigo Girls with the U of Colorado symphony.
4BB4EB31-63C2-4B42-ADDB-6180C6338B09.jpeg
Brandi says it better than I ever could.

DAY 4
PIONEER
I am on a kick now.. lol
Gorillaz - G-Sides
This certainly sounded pioneering to younger me. Music that can't be pigeonholed into one specific genre, with no musical boundaries whatsoever. The sheer amount of styles mixed together still makes this early era of Gorillaz unique two decades later imo.20210805_001100.jpg

5th August - Hens Teeth!
Play a rarity from your collection. It could be a low pressing, signed copy, expensive, sought after....

The Presidents of the United States of America - The Presidents of the United States of America

20210805_000503.jpg

Remember when one of the guys from PUSA made an account here? I think most of us are thankful for that KickStarter. Hope they are doing well.

5th August - Hens Teeth!

Christmas in August?
Only 100 copies, lathe cut to look like a snowflake.

The Joyful Noise ‎– Holiday Party, Vol. 3 - Merry Christmas (I Don't Want To Fight Tonight)
Written By: Ramones
Performed By: Adam Harding, Allison Durst, David Woodruff, Jackson Vanhorn, Jessica Clark, Jonathan Lee Horne, Karen Hover, Karl Hofstetter, Kiely Hofstetter, Mark Dippel, Olive Hofstetter, Ryan Hover, Thor Harris

PXL_20210805_115748079.jpg

Last edited:
5th August - Hens Teeth!

Elvis Costello "Hey Clockface!" (2020 Concord)
I pre-ordered a signed copy because I'm a big fan and I received the Eclipse vinyl variant with it. The Eclipse vinyl itself is limited to 350. There were actually two sleeves with the shipment - I framed the signed cover, shown here. Elvis Costello is one of my favorite artist so I'm pretty stoked to have this. It's not one of his heyday masterpieces, but still a pretty good late career outing.

IMG_1695.JPG

Back