August 2021 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread: Summer Loving

Day 3: @Selaws Birthday!
Its my birthday! Play an album from the year that you were born (or close to that year). Imaginary bonus points if it was released in the same month that you were born

Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark - Architecture & Morality
View attachment 107591

So the best I could do was this, Architecture & Morality was released November 8, 1981 I was born al bit over a month later on December 12. If only I’d purchased Black Flag’s Damaged by now bonus points could have been achieved.

Extra imaginary bonus points because this actually links to my job as an Architect :ROFLMAO:

3rd August - @Selaws Birthday!

Its my birthday! Play an album from the year that you were born (or close to that year). Imaginary bonus points if it was released in the same month that you were born.

Bonus points achieved. Not as close as Joni (March 23 1968) but still released in my birth month (March 4)
Miles Davis - Nefertiti
62F592C6-4A35-431D-A64A-3C6E2C2E39DC.jpeg

4th August - Pioneering Artists!
Today would have been Louis Armstrong’s Birthday. Armstrong massively influenced jazz and pushed the music from collective improvisation to solo performances. He wasn’t the only pioneering musician though, so share some others and let us know how they shaped their genre.

Name a genre of music. Any genre. Someone in that genre has covered this band.

That's influence...

The Beatles - Hey Jude (The Beatles Again)

20210804_001518.jpg

Today would have been Louis Armstrong’s Birthday. Armstrong massively influenced jazz and pushed the music from collective improvisation to solo performances. He wasn’t the only pioneering musician though, so share some others and let us know how they shaped their genre.

Talk Talk - Laughing Stock

20210804_002448.jpg

Might be incorrect to use a band here over a solo artist, but Mark Hollis was the heart and soul of this group. The foundations of post-rock are all over this record, with beautiful pockets of open space. An argument can be made for it to qualify as an ambient record. The record feels much longer than the 43.5min runtime would indicate.

Talk Talk - Laughing Stock

View attachment 107645

Might be incorrect to use a band here over a solo artist, but Mark Hollis was the heart and soul of this group. The foundations of post-rock are all over this record, with beautiful pockets of open space. An argument can be made for it to qualify as an ambient record. The record feels much longer than the 43.5min runtime would indicate.
Dammit, another one scooped

Son House ‎– Father Of The Delta Blues: The Complete 1965 Sessions

tl;dr Son House given up playing music in the early 40s. He was tracked down 25 years later to record this session.

PXL_20210804_120718538.jpg

The Velvet Underground & Nico "The Velvet Underground & Nico" (1966 Verve; 2017 reissue)
The pioneers of art-rock & glam...

IMG_1693.JPG

The Velvet Underground & Nico "The Velvet Underground & Nico" (1966 Verve; 2017 reissue)
The pioneers of art-rock & glam...

View attachment 107657
Dammit. Do I need to start getting up at 4am EST so everyone stops scooping me?

Sister Rosetta Tharpe Live - in 1960

20210804_182703.jpg20210804_182632.jpg

Sister Rosetta Tharpe, born on March 20, 1915, was called the "Godmother Of Rock'n'Roll" and influential to Little Richard, Chuck Berry, Elvis Presley and many more.

Day 04: Pioneering Artists!
Today would have been Louis Armstrong’s Birthday. Armstrong massively influenced jazz and pushed the music from collective improvisation to solo performances. He wasn’t the only pioneering musician though, so share some others and let us know how they shaped their genre

Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue
0ACF15C0-600F-47A9-93E1-559D58D45794.jpeg

This is low hanging fruit I suppose but obviously Miles was at the forefront of pioneering innovative Jazz his entire life. He was an innovator of Modal Jazz with Milestone and this, it’s follow up he really showcased what could be done with Jazz Modality.

Since I got snookered on my choice for yesterday, I will use that same artist.
Joni Mitchell - Blue
B05C6140-C582-4E86-815D-D05C10157A6B.jpeg

Day 04: Pioneering Artists!

The Jazz Couriers With Ronnie Scott And Tubby Hayes - In Concert (Tempo, 1958 First Mono Pressing)

I love all the selections chosen by everyone today, such a diverse set! Great job team! I was close to choosing 1 of 2 band leaders today, both of which used their groups as platforms for younger/other musicians to cut their teeth and launch down their own paths, Art Blakey and Howard Rumsey.

In the end, the choice was too tricky so I went down a completely different route with Ronnie Scott. Scott was one of those people whose legacy is arguably built upon the work he did outside of his performances (although these were fantastic and impactful as well). Between 1935-54 the British and American Jazz Unions created a ban on jazz musicians travelling to either side of the pond to perform. Despite a yearning on both sides to tour, no jazz musicians were able to do so.....until Ronnie Scott stepped in. Scott wrote a letter to the unions petitioning to allow a trade (one American musician to tour in the UK and 1 British musician to tour in the US) and he had the perfect venue lined up to host the UK side.....his own 'Ronnie Scotts Club'. This opened the floodgates and essentially broke the ban, with thousands of musicians visiting Ronnie Scotts (and the UK) over the following years. Although Scott passed away several years ago, his club is still going strong.

IMG_7746.jpeg

Back