August 2021 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread: Summer Loving

Selaws

August 2021 Challenge Thread

Welcome everyone, I hope we can have fun this month and share some great records.

Usual rules.

No competition, just have fun!
Diversity is key! Try to stretch out with a range of music.
Try to avoid duplicates or the same artist.
Imaginary bonus points if there is a good story attached to your choice.

1st August - Start With A BANG!
Play an album thats LOUD! Heavy drums, powerful vocals and thunderous bass! Start as you mean to go on!

2nd August - “With my music, I create change…I am using my music as a weapon”
Today marks the anniversary of the passing of Fela Kuti. Kuti took jazz, funk and traditional African music and melded them into his own sounds. Play an album of African music or one that encompasses funk/jazz/afrobeat etc.

3rd August - @Selaws Birthday!
Its my birthday! Play an album from the year that you were born (or close to that year). Imaginary bonus points if it was released in the same month that you were born.

4th August - Pioneering Artists!
Today would have been Louis Armstrong’s Birthday. Armstrong massively influenced jazz and pushed the music from collective improvisation to solo performances. He wasn’t the only pioneering musician though, so share some others and let us know how they shaped their genre.

5th August - Hens Teeth!
Play a rarity from your collection. It could be a low pressing, signed copy, expensive, sought after....

6th August - International Beer Day!
Choose a record that you like listening to whilst relaxing with a cold beer (or drink of your choice).

7th August - International Hangover Day!
After yesterday perhaps it's best for a quiet night in. Play an acoustic album that's nice and relaxed.

8th August - Now THAT'S a cool story!
Play an album that has a great story linked to it.

9th August - International Day Of The Worlds Indigenous People!
Play an album that highlights those people that are often overshadowed and bring them to the attention of more people. Doesn’t necessarily need to be a particular group of people, but perhaps an overlooked group/genre/person of cultural significance or interest.

10th August - It's Been A While…
Play an album that you haven’t played in ages. The longer the gap between its last play and now the better. Tell us why its been sitting on your shelf for so long and how you feel about it after a listen.

11th August - Put Your Phones Away!
After more than a year it looks like live gigs are starting up again. Play a live album from your collection.

12th August - World Elephant Day!
Today is all about raising awareness about the need of preserving and protecting elephants. Play an album that features animals (imaginary bonus point for Elephants)

13th August - Unlucky.
Play an album that took you ages to find, or that slipped through your fingers before you eventually found a copy.

14th August - That's unexpected!
Play an album that is unlike any other in your collection, or that we wouldn’t necessarily think would fit in with your tastes. Explain why you like it.

15th August - Bookworms.
Show us a music-related book or a book that has musical themes, tell us why you recommend it and play an album by the musician/group that it highlights.

16th August - This should be Grand.
Today would be the birthdays of pianists Bill Evans and Mal Waldron. Play an album that features the piano as a key element.

17th August - Kind Of Blue
Today marks the 62nd anniversary of Miles Davis’ seminal album ‘Kind Of Blue’. Play the album OR your favourite jazz album.

18th August - “Old Enough...To Party.”
Superbad was released in cinema’s 14-years ago. Play an album from your youth - imaginary bonus points if there is an embarrassing story linked to it!

19th August - Here Comes The Sun.
The Beatles finished recording this track today. Play an artist that you think is overhyped or that you have never clicked with.

20th August - Space, The Final Frontier.
Voyager 2 launched on this day in 1977 carrying with it the ‘Golden Record’. Play a space-themed album.

21st August - Sweet! World Honey Bee Day!
Bees keep the world running so the more flowers the better. Play an album with flowers in the title, theme, or artwork.

22nd August - Wu-Tang Forever!
Today is GZA’s 55th birthday. Play a hip-hop album to commemorate the day.

23rd August - Memorabilia Monday.
Show us some cool memorabilia (poster, ticket stub, photo, etc) of a band/musician and play one of their albums.

24th August - That's Random.
Randomly select a record without looking and tell us a story about it.

25th August - The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill.
The album was released on this day in 1998 and become the first hip-hop album to win the Grammy for Album of the Year. Play an album from an award-winning female musician.

26th August - Sounds As Good As It Looks.
Share an album with great artwork.

27th August - Pay Day!
Show us your latest record purchase.

28th August - “I’m only here for the money.”
Oasis split up on this day in 2009. Play the last album from a group before they broke up/changed line-up.

29th August - "Own up, half your music is black,”
After Eric Clapton’s racist rant, Rock Against Racism was founded. Play an album with anti-racism themes or lyrics.

30th August - International Whale Shark Day!
I was lucky enough to swim with Whale Sharks a few years ago and it was an incredible experience. Choose an album that has a sea theme!

31st August - We Made It!
Play whatever you fancy today.

First! :)

Looks good, nice variety. Some look like I will really have to think hard to find a record in my collection that fits it
Thanks, good to hear!

As a general rule for everyone, I would say just interpret each day how you want. If you struggle to find something that fits then it's all good, just go for something close. It's meant to be fun so no pressure.

1st August - Start With A BANG!
Play an album that's LOUD! Heavy drums, powerful vocals and thunderous bass! Start as you mean to go on!

Blue Cheer ‎– Louder Than God (The Best Of Blue Cheer)
Rhino Records ‎– RNLP 70130, 1986

Cut by Ken Perry at K Disc Mastering
Pressed at Allied Record Company

a9YvRI.jpg

2kpggU.jpg

Back