August 2021 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread: Summer Loving

The White Stripes - Icky Thump X (Third Man Records, 2017 Vault Package No.33)

Loving all the picks that have been posted, and I had to go back to the drawing board after seeing a few had already been posted.

Decided to go for the White Stripes Icky Thump X album from the TMR Vault set. Playing it LOUD!

IMG_4770.JPG

1st August - Start With A BANG!
Play an album thats LOUD! Heavy drums, powerful vocals and thunderous bass! Start as you mean to go on!

Heavy drums - check
Powerful vocals - check
Thunderous bass - check
Throw in Richie and Jon on guitar and keys and this is one loud, heavy, awesome kick off.
What an absolutely killer opening track Highway Star is.

Deep.jpeg

Thanks @Selaws for putting together August! I'll be gone for a bit of the month, but I'll hang around as long as I can...

2nd August - “With my music, I create change…I am using my music as a weapon”
Today marks the anniversary of the passing of Fela Kuti. Kuti took jazz, funk and traditional African music and melded them into his own sounds. Play an album of African music or one that encompasses funk/jazz/afrobeat etc.

This comp has been in heavy rotation since I picked it up. Some blazin' shit.

Exhibit A...

African Scream Contest 2

20210802_004051.jpg

Today marks the anniversary of the passing of Fela Kuti. Kuti took jazz, funk and traditional African music and melded them into his own sounds. Play an album of African music or one that encompasses funk/jazz/afrobeat etc.

Shabaka and the Ancestors - Wisdom of Elders

20210801_233728.jpg

Shabaka Hutchings can do no wrong. Thanks again, @Poly-Rythmo.

1st August - Start With A BANG!

nine inch nails - broken
20210801_235821.jpg

I lucked out on the day I had some trade in at my local a while back; I'd inherited a small collection, poached what I wanted and got a goodly bit of store credit a few minutes after this minty used definitive edition hit the bins. My favourite halo will always be five.

Ok no beating about the bush for me. I just played Fela Kuti himself. I missed out on the curated box sets but found it quite easy to buy individual albums independently. I think this is probably my favourite.

Zombie - Fela Kuti and Afrika 70

1627889250615.png

Last edited:
DAY 2
AFROBEAT
Rocket Juice & the Moon - Rocket Juice & the Moon
I'll admit that this was mostly gotten to add to the Damon Albarn collection, but for a piece of his discography that is mostly overlooked, this is pretty good, if a little unfocused. Much of it is instrumental noodling over short tracks that don't really go anywhere, but when your band's rhythm section is composed of Flea and the late, great Tony Allen, a little noodling isn't the worst thing in the world.
20210802_043720.jpg
RIP to the king Tony Allen!

Tunde Mabadu - Viva Disco

PXL_20210802_115143358.jpg

2nd August - Afrobeat
046CCB78-C945-47EB-B459-60C6CE0D6C5D.jpegToday marks the anniversary of the passing of Fela Kuti. Kuti took jazz, funk and traditional African music and melded them into his own sounds. Play an album of African music or one that encompasses funk/jazz/afrobeat etc.

AMANAZ - Africa (VMP Anthology)
Ask me about nice artists in Zambia. I have 2 VMP Anthologies (Zamrock and Blue Note) and both were definitely worth it.

Oumou Sangare - Acoustic
I was introduced to Samare's music by browsing the No Format catalogue while ordering @Colonel_Angus AOTM for march 2021.

20210802_142733.jpg
20210802_142714.jpg

Sampa the Great - The Return

She was born in Zambia, raised in Botswana, and lives in Australia- and sonically she brings her whole journey and more into the mix of styles, with hip hop, jazz, and soul blended with the sounds of southern Africa. It's an auspicious debut that leaves me excited for what she'll be able to do in the future.

20210525_111553-jpg.100569

William Onyeabor ‎– Atomic Bomb (Wilfilms Records, 1978 First Pressing)
William Onyeabor - Tomorrow (Wilfilms Records, 1979 First Pressing)
William Onyeabor - Body & Soul (Wilsfilm Records, 1980 First Pressing)
William Onyeabor - Hypertension (Wilsfilm Records, 1982 First Pressing)
William Onyeabor - Anything You Sow (Wilsfilm Records, 1985 First Pressing)

After listening to a William Onyeabor record I couldn't stop so ended up playing a few! Super funky.

IMG_4893.JPGIMG_4892.JPGIMG_4890.JPGIMG_4894.JPGIMG_4895.JPG

T.P. Orchestre Poly-Rythmo De Cotonou Benin "Vol. 4 Yehouessi Leopold Batteur" (1978 Albarika Store; 2021 Acid jazz reissue)
This is a good opportunity to spin this gift from @Poly-Rythmo following his challenge month earlier this year.

IMG_1387.JPG

Khalab & M'berra Ensemble - M'berra
20210802_094152.jpg

A collaboration between an Italian producer and a collective of Malian musicians from the M'berra refugee camp in southeast Mauritania, this has been a standout release for me this year. I'm ever grateful to have found a decent shipped price on a physical copy as the overall package is wonderful. The booklet is very illuminating and nearly worth the price of admission alone. A very cool synthesis of traditional musics and contemporary production.

Back