August 2021 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread: Summer Loving

2nd August - “With my music, I create change…I am using my music as a weapon”
Play an album of African music or one that encompasses funk/jazz/afrobeat etc.

Ebo Taylor - My Love And Music

340BE704-19A8-4926-AE4B-F5F359BE6D04.jpeg

My kids usually don’t acknowledge most music I play, so when one of them says “whoa, I like this!” within the first minute of the record, you know it’s good

Day 3 - Selaws' birthday. Album from your year of birth, bonus if also month of birth.

Happy Birthday Selaws!

My year of birth is 1968 and I just received this Joni Mitchell Box Set - The Reprise Albums (1968-1971). There are two versions of this - one pressed in RTI and the other Optimal. This is the RTI version.
1627962384110.png

Comes with 4 LPs mastered by Bernie Grundman and I am playing the first one which Joni remixed to positive reviews. This is Song to a Seagull, 1968
1627962733020.png

3rd August - @Selaws Birthday!
Its my birthday! Play an album from the year that you were born (or close to that year). Imaginary bonus points if it was released in the same month that you were born.

What do you give the man who has everything?

Bet you didn't expect some smokin' bluegrass for your birthday, did you @Selaws? In my neck of the woods, it's our Appalachian hillbilly jazz so should be up your alley...

Check out that beautiful 1961 new vinyl price...

Lester Flatt & Earl Scruggs and The Foggy Mountain Boys - Foggy Mountain Banjo

20210803_003710.jpg

Last edited:
Its my birthday! Play an album from the year that you were born (or close to that year). Imaginary bonus points if it was released in the same month that you were born.

Slowdive - Souvlaki

20210803_001639.jpg

Born in '93, so I had a few to select from. Stress-free challenge day, as I'm not sure how many others were born in '93 + participating in this thread this month.

The Pharcyde ‎– Bizarre Ride II The Pharcyde (Delicious Vinyl, 1992 First Pressing)

Thanks for all the birthday wishes and for sharing some great records today team, much appreciated!

I had a look to see what was released on the year that I was born, 1992, and came up with The Pharcyde's 'Bizarre Ride II'. Such an incredibly childish, funny album and I still stand by 'Passin Me By' being an incredible jam.

IMG_4934.JPG

Day 3 - Selaws' birthday. Album from your year of birth, bonus if also month of birth.

Happy Birthday Selaws!

My year of birth is 1968 and I just received this Joni Mitchell Box Set - The Reprise Albums (1968-1971). There are two versions of this - one pressed in RTI and the other Optimal. This is the RTI version.
View attachment 107529

Comes with 4 LPs mastered by Bernie Grundman and I am playing the first one which Joni remixed to positive reviews. This is Song to a Seagull, 1968
View attachment 107530
Scooped! I also got the box set and had Seagull lined up. It was released 6 days before my birth date.

Joe Henderson Featuring Alice Coltrane - The Elements
1974 (released one month before my birth month of June)

PXL_20210803_114337307.jpg

Happy Birthday @Selaws !

The Police - Synchronicity

Just scored this CD box set at a great price, and their swan song coincides with my freshman year of life, so that's the one getting played.

P.S. Happy birthday @Selaws !

IMG_20210801_202812696_HDR~2.jpg

First off, happy birthday @Selaws !

Harry Nilsson "Nilsson Schmilsson" (1971 RCA; 2021 MOFI 2x45 reissue)
I was released in November 1971, same as this little record.

IMG_1680.JPG

Day 01: Start With A BANG!
Play an album thats LOUD! Heavy drums, powerful vocals and thunderous bass! Start as you mean to go on!

Lightning Bolt - Wonderful Rainbow
35391731-7638-45A8-AC9D-D5211051F92C.jpeg

Nothing like being fashionably late to a party. This two piece made up of only heavy drums and thunderous bass. For those day when the coffee just ain’t cutting it.

Day 02: “With my music, I create change…I am using my music as a weapon”
Today marks the anniversary of the passing of Fela Kuti. Kuti took jazz, funk and traditional African music and melded them into his own sounds. Play an album of African music or one that encompasses funk/jazz/afrobeat etc.

Fela Kuti - Gentleman
711D891C-9E7B-4675-8F11-4E2888FDDA6B.jpeg

Not enough Fela Kuti being played for Fela Kuti day.

Day 3: @Selaws Birthday!
Its my birthday! Play an album from the year that you were born (or close to that year). Imaginary bonus points if it was released in the same month that you were born

Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark - Architecture & Morality
A01803C1-8D21-4B17-B392-53363DC0EC3B.jpeg

So the best I could do was this, Architecture & Morality was released November 8, 1981 I was born al bit over a month later on December 12. If only I’d purchased Black Flag’s Damaged by now bonus points could have been achieved.

Back