August 2021 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread: Summer Loving

5th August - Hens Teeth!
Play a rarity from your collection. It could be a low pressing, signed copy, expensive, sought after....

Elvis Costello "Hey Clockface!" (2020 Concord)
I pre-ordered a signed copy because I'm a big fan and I received the Eclipse vinyl variant with it. The Eclipse vinyl itself is limited to 350. There were actually two sleeves with the shipment - I framed the signed cover, shown here. Elvis Costello is one of my favorite artist so I'm pretty stoked to have this. It's not one of his heyday masterpieces, but still a pretty good late career outing.

View attachment 107754

Listening to this reminded me that Elvis managed to channel late-era Bowie on "The Whirlwind". It's uncanny.

4th August - Pioneering Artists!

John Coltrane - Giant Steps
20210805_075117.jpg

Coltrane was a pioneer in many respects, remaining one of the most influential saxophone players of all time. Giant Steps, in particular, saw the culmination of his theories in harmonic progression in what are known as the Coltrane changes - now a standard advanced harmonic substitution used in jazz improvisation.

5th August - Hens Teeth!
Play a rarity from your collection. It could be a low pressing, signed copy, expensive, sought after....

Christmas in August?
Only 100 copies, lathe cut to look like a snowflake.

The Joyful Noise ‎– Holiday Party, Vol. 3 - Merry Christmas (I Don't Want To Fight Tonight)
Written By: Ramones
Performed By: Adam Harding, Allison Durst, David Woodruff, Jackson Vanhorn, Jessica Clark, Jonathan Lee Horne, Karen Hover, Karl Hofstetter, Kiely Hofstetter, Mark Dippel, Olive Hofstetter, Ryan Hover, Thor Harris

View attachment 107752
Oooh this actually reminded me of something.

Back in 2012 Kishi Bashi released a pay-what-you-want snowflake 7" that might have been in the same series as this? It was my first purchase from the US and I know its in my collection.....I just dont know where. I suspect I kept it in the sleeve of another album but I dont know which one. Maybe I will find it one of these days....

Oooh this actually reminded me of something.

Back in 2012 Kishi Bashi released a pay-what-you-want snowflake 7" that might have been in the same series as this? It was my first purchase from the US and I know its in my collection.....I just dont know where. I suspect I kept it in the sleeve of another album but I dont know which one. Maybe I will find it one of these days....

That Kishi Bashi one sounds cool, I hope you find it!

This is the only one I have. I think it is a series, but not sure if JNR does one every year. They should probably make a covid-shaped one this year!

Edit: Looks like they did a whole bunch last year:

Last edited:
That Kishi Bashi one sounds cool, I hope you find it!

This is the only one I have. I think it is a series, but not sure if JNR does one every year. They should probably make a covid-shaped one this year!

Edit: Looks like they did a whole bunch last year:
Oh man, I love the Covid shaped one idea :ROFLMAO:

5th August - Hens Teeth!

Blue Öyster Cult - Tyranny and Mutation
20210805_091334.jpg

A couple of my friends run a vintage business and have been dealing with all sorts of estate sales and thrifting trips through the years. When they learned I had gotten a turntable a couple years ago, Steven knew they had just the thing kicking around to give me as a birthday gift - this well-enjoyed signed copy of BÖC's first album!

20210805_091352.jpg

Last edited:
Day 05: Hens Teeth!
Pavement - Live Europaturnén MCMXCVII [61 of 95]
88D2C8B4-8BC7-4ED3-8008-CD71A50BDE72.jpeg

AF298976-61D0-491F-B0B4-CFBB0C0BAEF5.jpeg
Part of a bigger run of 2,500 on black vinyl. This is #61 of 95 hand-numbered copies on red wax that were sent out randomly to Independent Record Stores as part of RSD 2009. Live Europaturnén MCMXCVII is a vinyl-only live album, with a silkscreened, fold-over cover. The recording is from a concert in Cologne, Germany on August 15, 1997. It contains an early rendition of "The Hexx", credited as "And Then", which would subsequently appear on their next studio album, Terror Twilight. Although the record is a Matador Records release, it has no mention of a record label of any type anywhere on the album or sleeve. And though the album was recorded in Germany, all of the text on the back cover and labels is printed in Spanish.

5th August - Hens Teeth!

Kenny Dorham And The Jazz Prophets - S/T (His Masters Voice, 1957 First UK Sample/Promo 10" Pressing)

Some amazing records are being shared here today!

I struggled with this one as there's more to rarity than monetary value, so I didn't just want to show off the most expensive record I have. I'm lucky enough to have quite a few test pressings and signed records which I also considered choosing from. In the end, I decided to go with a truly unique record. Kenny Dorham And The Jazz Prophets is a rarity in itself but this copy is a promo (of which there would only have been a handful). The real rarity comes from who used to own it.

About a year ago I started chatting to a guy who is managing the estate for Tony Hall. Tony was a legend in the UK music scene and amongst his many accolades includes being:
- Amongst the first to record Tubby Hayes and the Jazz Couriers (way before he became a well-known musician).
- A prolific writer for the NME.
- One of the first major promoters for Decca.
- Producing an album by trumpeter Dizzy Reece, released on Blue Note.
- Signing Black Sabbath to Vertigo.
- Promoting Jimi Hendrix, the Who, Dusty Springfield, the Zombies, etc.

After chatting for a while, the executor offered up several of Tony's personal records, many of which are promo/sample copies, and some of which Tony had direct involvement in producing.

I have shared some thumbnail pictures below of the records that I acquired from Tony's collection plus their labels, and a seperate photo of Hall (standing) producing Dizzy Reece's 'Blues In Trinity' album

IMG_5045.JPG
IMG_1502 (1).jpegFC81CFA0-49DB-4E96-B61C-E30C8F2728D7 (1).jpeg7feeb7887d07e3be518d9fea61e55e9d619d6592.jpeg

5th August - Hens Teeth!

Not anywhere near my most valuable record, but priceless to me. A copy of the second Treat Her Right LP signed by Mark Sandman. This was his pre-Morphine band for those unaware.

@Mather - have you gone down the THR rabbit hole? It's only two records deep.

Treat Her Right - Tied To The Tracks

20210805_200911.jpg

20210805_200542.jpg

Last edited:
5th August - Hens Teeth!

Not anywhere near my most valuable record, but priceless to me. A copy of the second Treat Her Right LP signed by Mark Sandman. This was his pre-Morphine for those unaware.

@Mather - have you gone down the THR rabbit hole? It's only two records deep.

Treat Her Right - Tied To The Tracks

View attachment 107841

View attachment 107840

I have not! I guess I know what I'm doing tonight...

4th August - Pioneering Artists!

I agree with @ranbalam, but I'm going with the debut album from The Mothers.

The Mothers Of Invention ‎– Freak Out!
Verve Records ‎– V/5005-2, 1966

Mono

Pressed at H.V. Waddell Co.

fWQXIV.jpg

8QoB3Z.jpg

5th August - Hens Teeth!

Mobb Deep - The Infamous

I remember when VMP released this exclusive, it was an absolute shit show. I was lucky enough to actually receive my copy. Currently goes for a decent amount on Discogs.

55DF8CAD-42F1-4688-BE88-CF00535D5732.jpeg

6th August - International Beer Day!
Choose a record that you like listening to whilst relaxing with a cold beer (or drink of your choice).

Sade "Diamond Life" (1984 Epic; 2020 half-speed remaster from This Far box set)
Sade's voice is just what the doctor ordered when I'm relaxing.

IMG_1700.JPG

Back