August 2021 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread: Summer Loving

On this note, I'll be away from my turntable for the next week starting this afternoon. I'll still monitor the board, of course, but I'll have to pause the challenge. Should be able to resume next thrusday or friday.

Anyone that hasn't started the challenge want to tag in for me while I'm away? :LOL:

giphy.gif

On this note, I'll be away from my turntable for the next week starting this afternoon. I'll still monitor the board, of course, but I'll have to pause the challenge. Should be able to resume next thrusday or friday.

Anyone that hasn't started the challenge want to tag in for me while I'm away? :LOL:

giphy.gif

Let's gooooooooooo!

1st August - Start With A BANG!
Play an album thats LOUD! Heavy drums, powerful vocals and thunderous bass! Start as you mean to go on!

Dio - Holy Diver

FD1E5B4F-5B88-4F58-8F3B-91F744F8DCBD.jpeg

6th August - International Beer Day!
Choose a record that you like listening to whilst relaxing with a cold beer (or drink of your choice)

Frank Turner - Tape Deck Heart
Europe 2013

20210806_195208.jpg20210806_195140.jpg

Toughest choice yet, regarding vinyl and beer. I'll go with Frank Turner because nearly all of his albums seem suitable on a day like this.

The fitting beverage for this evening is a Pinkus Naturtrüb, a brewing specialty from Münster, North Rhine Westphalia.

Imaginary bonus points for attending Frank Turner live shows in Münster (while enjoying quite a few beers more than tonight).

Choose a record that you like listening to whilst relaxing with a cold beer (or drink of your choice)

Red Fang - Red Fang
A 24 oz Rainier Man Can
AKA A Rain Dog
AKA Vitamin “R”
B64BAC8D-2D7A-4680-A604-6D9D5B978F89.jpeg

Barney Wilen Quintet - S/T (Guilde Du Jazz/Sam Records, 2013 Limited Mono Pressing)

Yet again, you guys have smashed it with the choices today, really fun looking at all the different approaches.

I've had a really draining week so angling towards the more relaxed beer-drinking record today. Barney Wilen's tone is just incredible and this album is a great example of more laid-back jazz. In fact, listening to it actually makes me think of those classic, low lighting, smokey, small jazz bars with a small stage and tight band. Perfect with a cold beer on a relaxed friday night.

IMG_9587.jpeg

John R. Miller - Depreciated

621540CD-3331-4112-A704-DEB0E534BC95.jpeg

I’ve had this one repeat since I received it, definitely in my favorites of the year. Good mix of John Prine on some songs and Uncle Tupelo/Son Volt on others…

A4EEFC27-1798-4109-9D28-057C80EBD3F8.jpeg

This is made by this brewery down the road but it tastes like juice and I don’t like it

Day 6 - International Beer Day!

Listening to the new King Woman (finally arrived today) and having a nice summer beer. I don’t really associate any specific type of music with beer, so this should work!

116F6A2F-DA58-4591-9C46-EE141922C80B.jpeg

7th August - International Hangover Day!
After yesterday perhaps it's best for a quiet night in. Play an acoustic album that's nice and relaxed.

Marissa Nadler - July

20210807_000041.jpg

Certainly an acoustic album, but perhaps not a "relaxed" one, as the challenge would suggest. Very brooding and moody.
I look at my collection and I'm surprised at how few acoustic records I own.

7th August - International Hangover Day!

Seu Jorge ‎– The Life Aquatic Studio Sessions (Hollywood Records, 2014 Bootleg Pressing)

I actually played Bob Dylan's 'Blood On The Tracks' earlier and very nearly posted it here. Instead, I decided to dig out this album of Bowie covers by Seu Jorge, performed acoustically in Portuguese. Superb, hopefully it gets an official release at some point.

IMG_7276.jpeg

5th August - Hens Teeth!
Play a rarity from your collection. It could be a low pressing, signed copy, expensive, sought after.

I doubt this has much value, but it certainly qualifies as a rarity. Back in the 80s there were a couple local shops that had Zep bootlegs. Most sounded horrible but I’d buy them up anyway. This one isn’t great either, but it’s the only one I have left from those days.

IMG_20210807_095809_950.jpg

Back