August 2020 Challenge Thread - The Dog Days of Vinyl Playing

August 7 - Fridays in the Summer - Play an album thats appropriate for a Summer Party!

The Beach Boys - All Summer Long (Capitol, 1965 Pressing & 1973 Signed Pressing)
The Beach Boys - Endless Summer (Capitol, 1974 Pressing & 1981 Pressing)
The Beach Boys - Keepin' The Summer Alive (Caribou Records, 1980 Pressing)

If theres one thing the Beach Boys loved to do its putting out a summer album/compilation. I had a running joke for a while whereby I would buy any Beach Boys album I found at a carboot (for 50p - £1) and the chances are I would already have it with a different title or cover art. Its crazy how much these guys squeezed out of their music, putting out countless compilations which a lot of the time they had already released several times over. It got to the point where it was just too much so I stopped, but theres still some cool oddities amongst the ones I have and the music certainly puts you in a summer mood.

IMG_0739.JPG
IMG_0740.JPG

Day 7: Summer Party.

Not a lot of partying being done around here...fireworks were much more subdued than usual...and stopped right around midnight.

Various ‎– Stranger Things 3: (Music From The Netflix Original Series)
Legacy /Netflix ‎– 19075947541, 2019

Limited Target exclusive - Clear w/ Red, White, and Blue Splatter

Pressed at MRP/GZ

BSHp2N.jpg

pCtIky.jpg

August 7 - Fridays in the Summer - Play an album that is appropriate for a Summer Party!

Well, if we're following safety guidelines, we need to be far-away-from-everyone-you-know.....

Altopalo ‎– Farawayfromeveryoneyouknow

IMG_20200807_114435.jpg

Day 07: Fridays in the Summer - Play an album thats appropriate for a Summer Party!
Willie Bobo - Uno Dos Tres 1-2-3
F72492F7-4C63-4209-B521-72E495B2C6A5.jpeg

A few people were not a fan of this LP when it was chosen as a ROTM but I love it. The whole album feels like a an imaginary 1960’s rooftop barbecue on a steamy summer evening In Hell’s Kitchen. It is party music for a party that only exists in my mind but during the Summer of COVID that’s enough for me. So grab a sweaty Miller Highlife from the cooler, the bottle opener is on the table next to the potato salad and help yourself to a burger. It’s gonna be a good night! Cheers! 🍻

Last edited:
7 - Summer

I mean, my whole life is a party and I bring it wherever I am so that makes my whole collection valid. That said, this is a favorite of mine that I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone who wouldn’t jam to it. If I did they would be ejected from the party post haste.

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - It’s Blitz

57A9CD51-F277-4EB9-AE06-4C5F7FDB2E02.jpeg

Day 8: Dollar Bin

It may not be in dollar bins of today, but this soundtrack was in most of the ones I lived near 20+ years ago in Illinois.

The movie isn't really that good, I haven't seen it in quite some time. The tracks/artists on this compilation are REALLY good, though.
Roxy Music, Gary Numan, Talking Heads, XTC, The Ramones, Lou Reed, The Cure...and many others.

Various ‎– Times Square (The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
RSO ‎– RS-2-4203, 1980

White Label Promo

Cut at Sterling
Pressed at Columbia, Terre Haute

zLSIjo.jpg

Avrndj.jpg

Back