August 2020 Challenge Thread - The Dog Days of Vinyl Playing

August 8 - Dollar Day - Play an album that you would find in a dollar bin (if such things existed any more).

Prince "Sign o the times"

With the peach colored vinyl and super deluxe vinyl box (which I've pre-ordered) coming up soon, I've seen prices for old copies of this absolutely fantastic album drop on discogs and last time I had a look it was pretty cheap, though probably not for a dollar. đź’˛Really can recommend this album. đź’ś

IMG_20200808_153033.jpg

August 8 - Dollar Day - Play an album that you would find in a dollar bin (if such things existed any more).

I don't do much if any dollar-bin shopping. Mostly all online. So I searched through my collection of vmp essentials and classics on discogs, checking the lowest and average price. There were a few that had median selling price of less than $15. Sarah Webster Fabio, The Silvertones, Ayalew Mesfin, and the one I chose. This is kinda sad because I do like this album, though it has many extenuating circumstances that put people off of it.

Sleater-Kinney ‎– The Center Won't Hold

IMG_20200808_094615.jpg

Better late than never!

August 1 - In honor of our July's host, play an album related to "blue" or "grass."

DCE3960F-800E-4459-9BBB-ACA3916F9F2F.jpeg

Jon Spencer BLUEs Explosion "Plastic Fang"

No grass was harmed while playing this record but you can be damned sure that the blues exploded!

August 2 - Coloring Book Day - Play an album that uses a unique adjective to describe its color.

5D6E01DC-F427-41C7-BEDC-EBB5E8054F90.jpeg

Wolf Parade "Apologies to the Queen Mary"

Not a huge colour guy and I know I didn't buy this for the colour so let's call this one peach cobbler surprise! I love this album and never miss an opportunity to post about it here! (Also I clearly don't know what an adjective is!)

August 3 - Play a 3rd album or single by an artist.

0B94F267-C654-47D9-AB23-F229F044EC0C.jpeg

Sharon Jones and The Dap-Kings "100 Days 100 Nights"

The grand incredible Ms Sharon Jones!!! You should listen to more Sharon Jones she was a goddamn national treasure!!

August 4 - Chocolate Chip Cookie Day - Play a "sweet" album.

AB50DA21-0E6D-49AE-AE6D-881CC2712C85.jpeg

Sugarman 3 & Co "Pure Cane Sugar"

A little on the nose but once you dip into your Daptone section you can't stop at just one!

Wait, there's MORE!!

August 5 - Neil Armstrong's birthday - Play an album that takes you to outer space.

42A3FC5D-E91C-43F8-A795-83D7AE2177CC.jpeg

The Invaders "Spacing Out"

I could see old Neil driving around in the 70's listening to this on his 8-Track player in the whip thinking about the good old days out there doing space shit!

August 6 - "Thor's Day" - Play an album evocative of lightning, thunder, hammers, or Chris Hemsworth.

1D4F7EB0-EC13-4685-B170-3AE6FE9D7676.jpeg

Stereolab "Emperor Tomato Ketchup"

I'm not all that familiar with Thor but I'll just assume he's either fought for or against Emperor Tomato Ketchup!!

August 7 - Fridays in the Summer - Play an album thats appropriate for a Summer Party!

C755576C-BB0B-4D96-B2D3-1325F6211210.jpeg

Dr Dre "The Chronic"

Look we all have different ideas of what the word appropriate means, and we all have different types of parties! This is a hell of a soundtrack to the type of party I used to have! I stress the words USED TO as nowadays I'm living that Danny Glover life...

8 - Dollar Bin

I see your silly singles here and there and raise you a whole damned dollar bin or more! To be clear, these records are inherited, lol! They still represent a virtual who’s who of dollar bin classics. See how many you can spot, haha. I got a real laugh getting these out. I plan on seeding my kids with these to start with since I have no investment in their wellbeing and replacement is a Salvation Army visit away,

A53688A3-69D8-451F-9F44-537936CD7CBF.jpeg

Day 08: Play an album that you would find in a dollar bin (if such things existed any more).
John Cougar Mellencamp - Scarecrow
161BD2FF-3DA0-4FAA-8D88-828139AD104F.jpeg
I love Johnny Mellencamp. I found this at a record garage sale a local collector was having, he had acquired a bulk collection from another collector in Central Oregon and cherry picked out everything he wanted now he was attempting to sell off the remainder to recoup some or all of his investment. He had some decent things but they were all priced accordingly. He did have a couple $1 tables set up (it might have been $2 or $3 an LP but I digress). Nothing really worthwhile, I ended up adding this, a white Label promo of Billy Joel’s The Stranger, and a nice copy of Steely Dan’s Aja. I think that is the closest I have come to a dollar bin purchase in about a decade. My collection used to be mostly made up of $1 bins, flea market finds and donations but as I became more serious about the hobby and space became more limited the $1 bins were slowly phased out.

...Anyways, here’s “Small Town”

Day 08: Play an album that you would find in a dollar bin (if such things existed any more).

The Dave Brubeck Quartet ‎– Time Out (Colombia, 1959 First US 6-Eyed Mono Pressing) & (Fontana, 1959 First UK Mono Pressing)

Not sure if this album would actually warrent the dollar bin title, but on the rare occations that I find a copy I have only paid ÂŁ1! These were admittedly found at carboots (I only ever pay ÂŁ1 on average at carboots). If fact, I think Brubeck is seen as the dollar bin of the jazz world. His music is fantastic but because of his prolific recording and popularity, the albums were churned out in the ten's of thousands so they are luckily readily available.

IMG_6313.JPG

ISAIAS POWER OUTAGE CATCHUP PART 1

DAY 4 - SWEET

IMG_20200808_165616.jpg

It doesn't get much sweeter or cuter than this.
Also, for extra credit, I read the 33 1/3 entry for this album during blackout.

DAY 5 - OUTER SPACE

IMG_20200808_165735.jpg

Featuring their now classic song "Outer Space."

DAY 6 - THUNDER

IMG_20200808_165832.jpg

Every. Single. Drum hit.

August 7 - Fridays in the Summer - Play an album thats appropriate for a Summer Party!

The Talking Heads playing in a living room on a summer night, that would be my kind of party!
To my wife's embarrassment I move like Elaine Benes but, it would totally fit the music.

C4F443C7-798E-437F-9629-2C4B7729CF4A.jpeg

Steve Winwood - Chronicles
View attachment 60652
Price tag says $1.99 but pretty sure I paid less for it. Such a great compilation!
Day 8: Dollar Day

I don’t go looking in the $1 bins too often and I only have a few records in my collection I picked up for $5 or less. This is one of them:

Tina Turner - Private Dancer

View attachment 60660

I had different Steve Winwood and Tina Turner picks for this day!
Gonna look for something else.

August 7th - Summer Party (catching up)

Sinkane - Life & Livin' It

So, this was the first album I thought of when I initially read the list.
And more days than not, I tell my wife the day's challenge topic.
Today's convo went like this:
Me: "I'm playing catch up on the challenge thread, yesterday's topic was 'Summer party music'."
Dola: "Are you going to play Life & Livin it?"

She gets it.
Also, she's the best.

SINK.jpg

Day 8 - Dollar bin

Paid exactly a dollar for this one several years back. Great shape, plus it has all the inserts. I don’t even bother with dollar bins these days since it’s always junk, but I still have a ton of good ones from when I first started collecting.

8B7D7369-91C0-499E-B983-C924F79D0CAA.jpeg

Back