August 2020 Challenge Thread - The Dog Days of Vinyl Playing

wmeugene

Welcome to the August 2020 Challenge Thread. Just in case you are new, the idea is to play a record from your collection that meets the theme of the day. Creativity is welcome and if a record has been played for the day, please try to avoid playing it again. But you won't be dinged for doing so.

If you miss a day, feel free to catch-up!

There will be a raffle at the end of August for all who have participated every day to be entered into. Prize TBD, but will be comparable to previous months in value and quality.

Without further adieu, here are the days and their themes:

August 1 - In honor of our July's host, play an album related to "blue" or "grass."

August 2 - Coloring Book Day - Play an album that uses a unique adjective to describe its color.

August 3 - Play a 3rd album or single by an artist.

August 4 - Chocolate Chip Cookie Day - Play a "sweet" album.

August 5 - Neil Armstrong's birthday - Play an album that takes you to outer space.

August 6 - "Thor's Day" - Play an album evocative of lightning, thunder, hammers, or Chris Hemsworth.

August 7 - Fridays in the Summer - Play an album thats appropriate for a Summer Party!

August 8 - Dollar Day - Play an album that you would find in a dollar bin (if such things existed any more).

August 9 - The day Jerry Garcia passed - Play a sad album.

August 10 - National Lazy Day - Play whatever you want, or don't. Just don't expend any effort on it.

August 11 - A certain someone's birthday - Play an album you received as a gift.

August 12 - Vinyl Record Day - Play an album that makes you appreciate the vinyl format.

August 13 - Alfred Hitchcock's birthday - Play something scary!

August 14 - Fortnight - Play a long album.

August 15 - The Day the Panama Canal Opened - Play an album that makes you think of water.

August 16 - Leo - Play an album that is loud and demands to be the center of attention.

August 17 - Case of the Mondays - Play an album that is about work in some manner.

August 18 - Bad Poetry Day - Play an album with terrible lyrics. Bonus points for posting your favorite cringe-worthy lyric.

August 19 - World Humanitarian Day - Play an album by a socially conscious artist.

August 20 - Radio Day - Play an album that you discovered because of radio.

August 21 - Senior Citizens Day - Play the oldest album in your collection.

August 22 - Vacation - Play an album that makes you think of the beach.

August 23 - Sunday, Sunday - Play an album that puts you in a restful state of mind.

August 24 - Dave Chappelle's birthday - Play an album that is funny and/or insightful.

August 25 - Kiss and Make Up Day - Play an album that has themes of either kissing or forgiveness to it.

August 26 - Dog Day - Play an album for the dogs.

August 27 - International Lottery Day - Play an album that makes you feel lucky.

August 28 - National Red Wine Day - Play an album that makes you want to drink wine.

August 29 - Hangover - Play an album that will help you get over the hangover from Wine Day.

August 30 - Back to School - Play an album that reminds you of being in school.

August 31 - Dog Days Are Over - Play a final album or single by an artist.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Aaaaahhh here we go!

lTYcfYp.gif

August 1 - In honor of our July's host, play an album related to "blue" or "grass."

I'll never have an opportunity as good as this one...

Bill Monroe With The Blue Grass Boys - Bill Monroe Sings Country Songs

I love watching the choreography of bluegrass bands working that single mic. Kinda like air traffic control. And this stuff is hot!

20200731_232833.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks a lot to @wmeugene for doing this thread, the themes sound very interesting and I'm looking forward to everyone's choices. 😍

August 1
Play an album related to "blue" and "grass"

I have to be honest, I didn't even know what "bluegrass" is until an hour ago. I don't think I have any records from that genre, but I've learned that early Elvis Presley was somewhat inspired by that genre.

In July 1954 he and two fellow musicians had been in the studio. Bill Black was the oldest at 28. Elvis was the kid at 19. Bill started slapping his stand up bass and making fun of an eight year old bluegrass tune by Bill Monroe called, "Blue Moon of Kentucky". He even sang in a high nasal voice like Monroe. Scotty joined in on lead guitar and Elvis picked up his rhythm guitar and began singing. That's when studio owner and engineer Sam Phillips told them to start over and he began the tape rolling with a little extra echo added. The record was quickly pressed and delivered to local radio DJs in Memphis. It soon appeared on stations in Nashville and New Orleans and the career of the "Blue Moon Boys" and Elvis had begun.

So I'm playing some Elvis Presley "30 #1 Hits" today.

IMG_20200801_064205.jpg

Day 1 - blue or grass

Joni Mitchell - Blue

Probably going a little too literal here but this was the first thing that came to mind. Had to take the cover down off the wall. After a couple of months of only playing black artists, I'm going to try to play only women this month.

20200801_092505.jpg

Day 1: Blue or Grass

I don't have many Bluegrass records...but this one is pretty good.

Eric Weissberg And Steve Mandell ‎– Dueling Banjos From The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack Deliverance And Additional Music
Warner Bros. Records ‎– BS 2683, 1973

Pressed at Columbia, Terre Haute

vJvgOV.jpg

3eX22P.jpg

Back