August 2020 Challenge Thread - The Dog Days of Vinyl Playing

August 31 - Dog Days Are Over - Play a final album or single by an artist.

Elliott Smith - Figure 8

His final album he finished before his death. I listened to this one so much my freshman year of college (along with all his other albums), and then headed out on a two-year Mormon mission. During those two years, I wasn't allowed to listen to any non-church music, but Elliott's songs were some of the ones I'd play in my head (a lot of time was spent mentally "listening" to music I couldn't listen to). Right about halfway through those two years, my dad let me know in the weekly email that Elliott Smith had died, and I was crushed, but I couldn't really talk about it with anyone, or even listen to his music. It was the first time an artist who meant to much to me had died, and I still am sad to think about all the music we could have heard from him during these years. Instead, I have gems like this album to visit and revisit again and again, music that can break your heart and soothe your soul in the same song, and find so much beauty in life's pain.

20200831_154121.jpg

The party is movin’ on over to @Gavaxeman come and join in the fun!

Day 30 - School Daze

Billy Squier - Don't Say No

This is among a handful of albums that will always remind me of getting home from school, dropping the needle and playing Atari. Mostly Yar's Revenge, but sometimes Pitfall. This is my actual OG copy from then.

20200831_182352.jpgScreenshot_20200831-193157.jpg

Gonna finish up my last 2 days real quick before I go to bed.

Day 30 - Back to School

I got this on CD for Christmas of my freshman year...along with Hammer ‎– Too Legit To Quit (I don't know why...but I asked for it.)

I didn't get a CD player for Christmas that year, so I had to save up for a month or 2. I watched this movie a lot back then...back when we taped everything off HBO.

I still have the CD of this...I have no idea where the Hammer CD is...or when I got rid of it.

Various ‎– Pump Up The Volume (Music From The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
MCA Records ‎– MCAD-8039, 1990

DMM cut at Precision Disc Mastering

XUW3zK.jpg

yc3elZ.jpg

Catch up post - August 30 - Back to School - Play an album that reminds you of being in school.
U2 “The Joshua Tree” 1987 ...oh to be 16 again..

Saw that tour too! Back in the days where you had to wait overnight for ticket sales, we waited in line to buy tickets for the shows in LA, and they kept selling out and adding shows. Luck of the draw put us at the front of the line when they added the last show, and ended up with 6th row. Definitely one of my favorite gigs, along with seeing them on the anniversary tour a few years ago.

Saw that tour too! Back in the days where you had to wait overnight for ticket sales, we waited in line to buy tickets for the shows in LA, and they kept selling out and adding shows. Luck of the draw put us at the front of the line when they added the last show, and ended up with 6th row. Definitely one of my favorite gigs, along with seeing them on the anniversary tour a few years ago.

Yep , I’ve queued overnight for U2 tickets twice ..slept in the NEC hedgerow ...great crack and memories ..I think queueing for Rsd at silly o clock evokes that feeling ...love U2..will defend them to the death , Great band and do more than most for the less fortunate...and this album is super. As were the b sides

Day 31 - Dog Days Are Over

Unfortunately this ended up his final completed score*. He had some others he was working on, but those had to be competed by someone else...or scrapped.

I really like the movie. I wish the vinyl release was a bit better, so I usually stream it.

*some say this one...some say it was another. Both movies came out in early 2018.

Jóhann Jóhannsson ‎– Mandy (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
Invada/Lakeshore Records ‎– LKSINV203LP, 2018

Cut and pressed at Optimal

tpcLFU.jpg

yU1UI0.jpg

Relevant - did you know that Jeff Rosenstock's ska band Arrogant Sons of Bitches put out a live album consisting entirely of Radiohead covers? It sure is a thing.

DAY 14
LOOOOOONG
Jeff (Death) Rosenstock - Thanks, Sorry!
This live album is roughly 90 minutes worth of punk rock awesomeness, and that's *before* you take the bonus LP of material exclusive to the vinyl edition into account!
View attachment 61841
DAY 19
SOCIALLY CONSCIOUS
Jeff Rosenstock - NO DREAM
When Rosenstock decides to get political, he pulls no punches. The title track is one of his best written songs and a timely one for sure. The whole song is great but this passage sticks out:
"The only framework capitalism can thrive in is dystopia
Fuck all the fakers acting like they’re interested in hearing us
When we yell, "Hold accountable the architects of hopelessness and never ending violence"
They'll be like, "Whatever, idiot" and fuel their brand of power
Incorruptible like it exists
Saintly fronts in a system that rewards only the greediest
The only endgame for capitalism is dystopia
And we know all about it but we just don't know what to do
What can we do?
"
View attachment 62150
DAY 31
FINAL ALBUM
Bomb the Music Industry! - Vacation
This was the final album released under the BTMI! banner before Jeff Rosenstock decided to start putting music out solo under his own name, and it makes sense since this is probably the BTMI! album that most closely resembles his solo stuff. The album title also seemed to fit the "dog days" theme. I think in this case it being the final album is not as tragic, as Rosenstock's current solo output is the best he's ever been imo. And this is the most realized BTMI! album, foreshadowing the greatness to come :D
View attachment 63998
I must have had Rosenstock on the brain this month 😅

Back