August 2020 Challenge Thread - The Dog Days of Vinyl Playing

Wednesday is my usual catching up day.

Day 3: 3rd Album

The 3rd soundtrack from Trent Reznor And Atticus Ross after their Oscar winning Social Network and The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.

Using old images below, but this was my first copy that needed some time in the vinyl flat. Was "baking" for about a day or so then I turned it off and forgot about it until now, so it's been in the vinyl flat for almost 2 months.

Plays fine so far...it may make an appearance on the PIF thread whenever I start doing that more regularly with my doubles.

Trent Reznor And Atticus Ross ‎– Gone Girl (Soundtrack From The Motion Picture)
Columbia ‎– 88875 02953 1, 2015

Cut by Chris Bellman
Pressed at Pallas

E2bn8K.jpg

ACFV3Q.jpg

Last edited:
Day 5

Neil Armstrong's birthday

Jupiter or Thor is perfect. We need Atlas for our long-distance stuff. The Titan will be even better. They shouldn't have cancelled Navaho. Wait till you see our submarines with Polaris. "Attention, all personnel, this is CBTS, phase vehicle pre-count operation will start on my mark in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1"

Music From The Adventures Of Pete and Pete ~ Polaris

IMG_9622.jpg

Day 3: 3rd album

Kevin Morby - Singing Saw

His best and it's not close. My girlfriend bought me this record for my birthday a few years ago after I'd been streaming it obsessively for a couple months. That was actually the impetus for me getting back into records.

View attachment 60066

Shit yes! Score for me finding something new that moves me that way. Thanks.

Day 4: Sweet

I really didn't like the movie when I first watched it. It's grown on me a bit, but still not up there with some other recent zombie movies.
This S/T is pretty good, tho.

Kreng ‎– Cooties (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
Death Waltz Recording Company ‎– DW053, 2015

"Chicken Nugget / Blood Splatter" variant - limited to 500

Pressed at GZ

1XxoRB.jpg

dgnwe8.jpg

Day 5: Happy Birthday Neil Armstrong

This one seems appropriate for today...and it's a really good documentary.

Matt Morton ‎– Apollo 11 (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
Milan/CNN Films/NEON ‎– MLN1-37064, 2019

Rough Trade exclusive - signed by composer Matt Morton and film director Todd Douglas Miller.

Cut by Cameron Henry at Welcome To 1979

NEB25h.jpg

ZzTFkX.jpg

Day 6 - Thor

Björk - Homogenic

Thor makes me think of Vikings, Vikings lead to Iceland, and then this album, my favourite of hers and for me the most Icelandic. I loved reading that she wanted to make this a mix of very modern (electronic beats) and very old and natural (strings), just like she thought Iceland was.

20200806_084350.jpg

August 6 - "Thor's Day" - Play an album evocative of lightning, thunder, hammers, or Chris Hemsworth.

Duke Ellington And His Orchestra – Such Sweet Thunder (CBS, 1989 Mono Pressing)

Perhaps not as thunderous or badass as Thor would like, but a fitting title all the same.

IMG_0712.JPG

DAY 4
SWEET
Lemon Demon - Spirit Phone
It seems I've resigned myself to spinning this at some point in every challenge thread now. Using it for this theme largely because of the name of the variant I own, "candy cadaver" that derives its name from the song on the album "Sweet Bod" which is a fun, funky upbeat jam about the medicinal benefits of eating human remains covered in honey!
20200806_073237.jpg

Day 6: Thors Day

Seeing these guys play Lightning Strikes The Postman back on the Yoshimi tour is a memory that's stuck with me. Adding strobelights and megaphones to the usual sensory overload of a Flaming Lips show put it over the top.

Flaming Lips ~ Clouds Taste Metallic (VMP Edition)

IMG_7727.jpg

Back