August 2020 Challenge Thread - The Dog Days of Vinyl Playing

August 7 - Fridays in the Summer - Play an album thats appropriate for a Summer Party!

The Talking Heads playing in a living room on a summer night, that would be my kind of party!
To my wife's embarrassment I move like Elaine Benes but, it would totally fit the music.

View attachment 60661

@gafacaode , the name of that band is Talking Heads ;)

August 8 - Dollar Day - Play an album that you would find in a dollar bin (if such things existed any more).

In addition to being one of the sexiest album covers of all time (that Herbie just could not keep that chest contained.....really....look at other albums), this is actually a really good record.

Seriously. It's a good record.

Features some guitar player named Duane Allman.

Exhibit A -

Herbie Mann - Push Push

20200808_233342.jpg

August 9 - The day Jerry Garcia passed - Play a sad album.

Jerry checking out was a bummer, but he's one lost artist that doesn't make me sad. Maybe it's the longevity he enjoyed or the musical accomplishment, but when I think of Captain Trips I can only smile. So, with all due respect, I will not play a sad album but instead spin Jerry in all his glory.

Jerry Garcia Band - Electric On The Eel

20200809_001433.jpg

August 9 - The day Jerry Garcia passed - Play a sad album.

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds "Skeleton tree"

During the sessions Cave's 15-year-old son Arthur died from an accidental cliff fall. Most of the album had been written at the time of Cave's son's death, but several lyrics were amended by Cave during subsequent recording sessions and feature themes of death, loss and personal grief.
It's very sad, yet also very beautiful and cathartic. 🌹

IMG_20200809_073126.jpg

Day 9: A Sad Album

I could go with any of the Cave/Ellis soundtracks, as I've found them all sad and depressing - and I love them.

I have been spinning this record more often as this album has seemed to have been dropped from all the streaming sites, it was in my top 10 Spotify streams a few years ago...as it's great sleeping music.

Nick Cave & Warren Ellis ‎– West Of Memphis (Original Soundtrack)
J-2 Music ‎– J2002, 2014

#RSD14 - limited White vinyl

Cut at NRP
Pressed at United

uJEBm7.jpg

a5O2bH.jpg

If you watched the Paradise Lost series, this is a good recap/follow-up.

Back