A Poll on VMP Thread Consolidation

How many VMP threads should there be in the Vinyl Clubs forum?

• Five threads - one for each track, one for the store (exclusives, swaps, etc.), one for anthology

Votes: 235 84.8%
  • One thread - all VMP related threads in the clubs forum merged into one

Votes: 42 15.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
5 threads are just fine. If I don't need to check out the Anthology, I stay away from it, as I would with others I didn't feel I needed to check out. We seem fine with the 10 threads for the N&G ROTM (which I love). I still don't see why this is an issue.

This is the take I agree with the most.

Thank you to those that were able to bring rational thought and civility to a request to just discuss this.

The rest of you - well continue along doing what you do if that what makes you happy. I don't understand the need to get nasty. I came in here to discuss this in good faith. I knew it would be a contested topic that we could talk about maturely. I should've known better.

So sorry for raining on people's parades, not being chill, looking for something to be mad about or whatever else you all want to explain to me about my emotions.

@Teeeee , don't waste your time. We know what the best threads are. I don't give a damn about VMP anymore, I don't even visit the threads. They can keep working, treating their costumer like shit, shipping wrong or damaged records, if customers are ok with it, good for them. If their business ends tomorrow, I won't care. IMO if our members are happy to promote VMP products in dedicated threads, I am OK as long as we have hundreds of other threads where we can talk about other things.

I rarely notice what is upsetting everyone interpersonally until they are already upset.
TBH, some just like to exist in a state of “upset” and may not even notice themselves what is upsetting them interpersonally lol.

There are those in this world that you could present Utopia and they’d find it too bright.
(Edit: b/c @Teeeee was getting piled on and I don’t want it twisted that my chips lie there. This is not directed at you or anyone per se - just a generality. I like you and think the discussion is fine)

But really these are all user created threads. If we started separating the wheat from the chaff, an argument could be made to delete a lot of threads that have nothing to do with N&G or music at all. But we don’t. Because there is a freedom we all enjoy.

@Teeeee , don't waste your time. We know what the best threads are. I don't give a damn about VMP anymore, I don't even visit the threads. They can keep working, treating their costumer like shit, shipping wrong or damaged records, if customers are ok with it, good for them. If their business ends tomorrow, I won't care. IMO if our members are happy to promote VMP products in dedicated threads, I am OK as long as we have hundreds of other threads where we can talk about other things.
I've ignored the threads (thank you to the member that enabled us to do that, you know who you are). It gets more challenging when every damn status update is about vmp. But you're right. They are a trash company that treats its customers, several of its featured artists and its female employees like shit. If people are ok enabling that company to continue with those actions, yuck but it's their life, not mine.

Last edited:
I've ignored the threads (thank you to the member that enabled us to do that, you know who you are). It gets more challenging when every damn status update is about vmp. But you're right. They are a trash company that treats its customers, several of its featured artists and its female employees like shit. If people are ok finding that company to continue with those actions, yuck but it's there life, not mine.
Am I allowed to agree with you on this point?

Coming at this from the point of view of someone who was in the mix when the exodus was tossed upon us, I think, for me, and maybe a few others it boils down to a simple thing.

WE disliked what was happening at the VMP forum, they didn't like it either and decided to gag us by closing the forum and then dropping the "...what would you do with more time" gauntlet. Well, a few of us came together and with the help of an amazing community showed them exactly what we could do.

BUT, in doing so we, N&G, has pretty much helped VMP, and it was our own doing. The admins, myself included, understood that there was going to be this overlap of grey area and division and also had to take into account that VMP was the reason this community and it's members existed in the first place, so a more understanding and flexible approach was taken.

But now, almost a year later, and I speak for myself, you're out of your mind if you think the mythical NEW VMP forum is even a thought, we've given VMP their forum and it exists within N&G. I personally don't think WE, N&G, owes VMP a damn thing, and while I understand the mind set of "This is a music forum and VMP is about music and we want to talk about them......." and so on, I can't help but feel like we're being taken advantage of, but those who are still subscribers to VMP aren't going to see that because we, N&G, is providing the service VMP isn't and won't, ever.

The Admins can make their choices, I stay clear of the VMP forums for the most part, I'm even done arguing, there is too much OTHER stuff to enjoy here to even waste my time with that.

My advice to @Teeeee and the rest of us with her is to ignore it, as much as I hate to say it, we kind of need to move on because it's a waste of time, effort and energy. I stay plenty busy outside the VMP forums, and while I don't think they deserve, and I say they, VMP, not the members, more then 1 forum, it was decided and now it's done. I'll chat and contribute to any and all posts with you @Teeeee :)

Last edited:
Christ. So much for civility.

Peace out all.

Wait wait, I'll admit I skipped most of the discussion (including where things got heated and this post), saw @Matt M's response, and since I agreed and had nothing more to add, said I agreed and moved on.

Just wanted to chime in that while we don't agree on this subject, and I'm still tied into many VMP products, I hope I haven't contributed to the negativity since...that one time. I hope you aren't leaving! 😭😭😭

Thank you for saying this in a way that didn't just make people mad, which I failed abjectly to do.

Am I allowed to agree with you on this point?
You're allowed to agree and disagree with me and others on any point. Just don't be a jerk about it. And it was kinda jerky. But I'm also sure we're all edgy cause of *gestures at the world* so I'm cool shaking hands (then sanitizing) and being pals again if you are.

Wait wait, I'll admit I skipped most of the discussion (including where things got heated and this post), saw @Matt M's response, and since I agreed and had nothing more to add, said I agreed and moved on.

Just wanted to chime in that while we don't agree on this subject, and I'm still tied into many VMP products, I hope I haven't contributed to the negativity since...that one time. I hope you aren't leaving! 😭😭😭

DjX - you aren't rid of me! NEVER!!! MWA HA HA *hack cough* ha.

This has just reminded me that I’ve been meaning to jump into our guess threads over the last few months and haven’t. Lots of reasons but mostly because I had major burnout from those other guess threads and I needed a break. But I want to soon.

You're allowed to agree and disagree with me and others on any point. Just don't be a jerk about it. And it was kinda jerky. But I'm also sure we're all edgy cause of *gestures at the world* so I'm cool shaking hands (then sanitizing) and being pals again if you are.
You know I could never quit you.

For the record, I wasn't trying to imply that you don't have friends, I was trying to say what @Skalap said better; I think we've all established which side of the VMP lines people are on, and it is emotionally exhausting to see the same arguments infect the rest of the forum over and over. If we can quarantine for the virus, we can quarantine ourselves from the VMP threads as well, and hopefully come up with new ways to engage with the people in those threads (and this one) who don't suck.

P.S. Close this thread.

This has just reminded me that I’ve been meaning to jump into our guess threads over the last few months and haven’t. Lots of reasons but mostly because I had major burnout from those other guess threads and I needed a break. But I want to soon.

If you’re not up for guess threads yet just have a check at the first post of the general thread and give a few of the albums a listen, there is some amazing stuff in there!

Our guess threads are nothing like the vmp guess threads. The toxicity is gone. The fun remains. And the picks are not made as deals with labels, to lure members, for financial gain, etc. They are picks that are truly curated with care and heart. We've made big impacts on our chosen artists lives, which is just the coolest thing. Please join us!!!!

I hope that my comment wasn’t considered to be one of the posts that was piling on you @Teeeee I hadn’t even seen that the debate had been resurrected by yourself, I had read the latest page and was mainly replying to Joe. I’ve been on both the old forum and this one sparingly as life gets in the way and I was there right through those final days and the lack of more time, I completely understand why resentment/antipathy is held for VMP but I’m ok with them, and I’m ok with people not being ok with them. I just don’t like being told how I should feel about them.

I hope that my comment wasn’t considered to be one of the posts that was piling on you @Teeeee I hadn’t even seen that the debate had been resurrected by yourself, I had read the latest page and was mainly replying to Joe. I’ve been on both the old forum and this one sparingly as life gets in the way and I was there right through those final days and the lack of more time, I completely understand why resentment/antipathy is held for VMP but I’m ok with them, and I’m ok with people not being ok with them. I just don’t like being told how I should feel about them.

I certainly got that you were talking to me, that’s why I replied to clarify 😀

No. I'm fine with the 5 that are around. The only superfluous one, IMO, is the exclusives one.
2 cents, if there were going to be a change, this one is the one that makes sense to me: store drops are randomly timed preorder announcements now, and there’s a thread for that.

I think the rationale for a running Anthology thread is a little thin, but I also can’t think of a better home for those discussions either.

As for the 3 subs? If the active users find value in them, and want them to stay, then I don’t see any reason to do to them what VMP did to us. Sometimes I go against my better judgment and peek at them and get myself frustrated, but when I do that, that’s on me.

It's been working fine, my personal opinion is I think we should keep things as they are.

I did the exact same thing, replied and then noticed there were about 5 new pages. Didn't realize it had heated up..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back