A Poll on VMP Thread Consolidation

How many VMP threads should there be in the Vinyl Clubs forum?

• Five threads - one for each track, one for the store (exclusives, swaps, etc.), one for anthology

Votes: 235 84.8%
  • One thread - all VMP related threads in the clubs forum merged into one

Votes: 42 15.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Christ. So much for civility.

Peace out all.
Lol, jeez dude, chill. For someone who proudly displays a Buzzkill Brigade signature, you're mighty sensitive to having your buzz killed.

All I was trying to suggest is that if you find the VMP threads toxic, you should find something other than VMP in common with those friends.

Why do all of those things (other than anthology) have to be done through the lens of VMP? Why not have a glam and prot punk thread. There is a hip-hop thread, etc.
Because the Essentials pick is what put that on some people's radar.

Lol, jeez dude, chill. For someone who proudly displays a Buzzkill Brigade signature, you're mighty sensitive to having your buzz killed.

All I was trying to suggest is that if you find the VMP threads toxic, you should find something other than VMP in common with those friends.
I'm not a dude.

I don't need to be told to chill.

And you are right. Friends know where to find me.

Right, exactly the point.

If this were a shoe forum you wold be giving 4 or 5 threads to the Nike line and 1 to everyone else because why? Nike has more product. I don't think that's equitable.
You don't think a shoe forum might have separate threads for Nike basketball shoes, Nike soccer cleats, and Nike running shoes?

Obviously there's nothing that can be said here that allows for you to see the other point of view. I'm not going to keep belaboring the point.
No, I see your point. However, that thread would go in the General Music & Vinyl thread where ones like Hip Hop and Jazz already are.

Right, exactly the point.

If this were a shoe forum you wold be giving 4 or 5 threads to the Nike line and 1 to everyone else because why? Nike has more product. I don't think that's equitable.
We have 5 out of 952 threads for VMP. I wouldn’t say we are being “drowned” in a sea of praise for VMP. Most of the threads still have people voicing legit criticism. I agree that I don’t see the point of reopening any of this to discussion.

We have 5 out of 952 threads for VMP. I wouldn’t say we are being “drowned” in a sea of praise for VMP. Most of the threads still have people voicing legit criticism. I agree that I don’t see the point of reopening any of this to discussion.
I'd agree with this point. It's also confined to the "clubs" section. I'm of the viewpoint that has long as it isn't spamming the forum, there should be as many threads as topics people want to talk about.

Valid points. But VMP *is* a shit show so why should it be any different here? Lol

I do see you in other threads and I appreciate that. I want to interact with my fellow forumers outside of the VMP threads because some of us don't like thing. Perhaps my desire is fueled by the members that don't ever go into any thread that doesn't have VMP on it. I saw people saying in a VMP thread that they missed clues and guessing. Um? We have that. Do you have any ideas to get people involved in the other threads outside of VMP?
I tend to tag people in other threads if there’s either something they might be interested in or want to share something/ask opinions. I mostly stick to the jazz and BN thread, preorders, deals and some hardware threads as well as dip in and out of VMP threads. I don’t really go into VMP threads to try to promote other threads unless it’s something relevant. I think I just go into the threads that interest me mostly. If people are only interested in the VMP stuff that’s fine! I really like when people recommend music and or ask for recommendations. That’s been happening a lot in the jazz and BN threads and it’s awesome!

I don’t really know. I think I meant if the VMP threads started being merged into other threads the voices of dissent may become a bit louder.
I'm pretty sure it would be a shitshow. The people who love VMP really love it. The people who hate it, really hate it. I don't think there is much of any functional common ground, other than everyone likes rekkids.

Why is it up to N&G to keep track of everything on behalf of VMP? Why are you all so willing to do that work for them for free?
I just see them as a fun place to chat about each upcoming release. They seem to have LOADS of messages on each forum and I can imagine it being a nightmare if they were to be consolidated into one (ie the amount of topics being discussed at any one time would be a nightmare to navigate). In a direct response to your question, I guess the same could be said for the National / Cherry Tree forums, the Third Man / White Stripes forum, Metallica Record Club / Metallica forum, etc? The reason I contribute to each one is because im interested to gain as much insight and stories around each individual release on each track, and this couldn't really work as much if they were together imo.

p.s. Hope im not coming across as argumentative here @Teeeee, just thought I would express my opinion. Nothing personal, ❤ you pal!

There’s a good amount of people here who are still members and having the separate threads is still useful IMO.
That sounds like a great opportunity for that private business to run a forum of their own.
OK. I merely wanted to open it up to discussion and for it to be civil. It has now been implied that I don't have friends. And that I'm raining on people's parades.

Cheers.
I almost bailed on this forum ten minutes ago, then I saw your posts here. We've never met in real life, but you are fucking awesome. We are friends, and you fucking matter to me. This forum is better because you are here.
I strongly oppose the idea that people need to ‘move on’ from vmp, if they like the company and the records, or just want to keep a hand in in case they finally release ‘when the pawn...’ it is completely up to them. Christ, it’s a forum, what does it matter to people not using the individual threads that they even exist?
At a surface and purely logical level you are absolutely correct. The problem is a philosophical one. This forum was put together because VMP decided to take a community that had been built and burn it to the ground. In that light, people who argue that promotion and discussion of that business should be limited to one thread here are not out of line, and I agree with them.

@Teeeee i see your viewpoint and understand how it can be frustrating to some that the VMP threads are the most popular and have the most posts in them when there are a lot of other awesome non-VMP threads. I know N&G is its own thing but I also like keeping track of some of the VMP stuff as well. I mostly like the classics track so I still like popping into that one every once in awhile. If it was all one thread, as others have said, it will just devolve into an unfollowable thread and I think that’s hurting this community more than helping. We want to keep the spirit alive of this place and it’s about shared love of music, records and fostering a sense of community that I grew to love in the old forum and I think most people here have continued that tradition.

My suggestion is to just keep other threads active and people might dip in to see what it’s about. It’s been cool to see new people drop by the jazz threads and others. Some people join here only for VMP and that’s cool. Some join for VMP info and then discover and participate in the other threads. I have joined Secretly Society after looking through there and seeing how much people seem to like it. Just joined Cherry Tree as well. The people who want to seek out other non-VMP stuff will do so.

just my two cents!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back