What's The Most Valuable Record In Your Collection?

Here's my top by Median, I haven't looked at this for a couple of months and it was interesting to see all the changes.

Every time I look at this I write the date and median in the notes box just so I can keep track. The Rihanna Box has shot up massively, from £279 in early September to £421 (the look like legit sales as well). For the first time since mid-2019 Frank Ocean's Blond has dropped, from £435.73 in July 2020 to £388.50. I actually sold Blond last year (or maybe the year before?) for significantly more but have kept it in my list so I can just keep track and reassure myself that it was the right time to sell when I did.

Something that is very obvious from this overview is that the reality would likely be much different to what is shown. A lot of the rarer jazz records that I have typically sell for significantly more on other sites (according to popsike) and the likely explanation is that they last appeared for sale on Discogs so many years ago that it's not a true reflection of their monetary 'value'. The same goes for a lot of the test pressings, white labels, and low-run releases that just haven't been sold on here, or have been in poor condition when they have.

Its a fun exercise to do anyway and it threw in a few unexpected records into the 'top' list.

Screenshot 2021-11-09 at 10.41.42.png
Screenshot 2021-11-09 at 10.42.03.png
Screenshot 2021-11-09 at 10.42.23.png
Screenshot 2021-11-09 at 10.42.41.png

I have my various formats in different folders, so this is easy to see my 7", I don't really follow the prices of these too much.

Screenshot 2021-11-09 053614.JPG

Screenshot 2021-11-09 053412.JPG

I haven't got my 7"/10"/12" in folders so I have just used the search command to highlight my 'top' of each in terms of Discogs monetary value.

7"
The Third Wave – Questions 67+68 / Love Train - A great group of Filipino sisters that perform jazz/funk/soul numbers. They were 'discovered' by George Duke, performed at the Newport Jazz Festival, recorded an album and 7" for MPS in Germany, then faded from the scene completely.

Joe Harriott With Strings – Joe Harriott With Strings - Joe Harriott was a legendary Jamaican-born, British-based saxophonist. A lot of his albums are amongst the most sought after of British jazz and this 7" is also pretty rare. Not my favourite of his as I'm not a huge fan of string sections, but still great.

Screenshot 2021-11-09 at 15.26.24.png
Screenshot 2021-11-09 at 15.26.34.png

10"
The Art Pepper Quartet – The Art Pepper Quartet - This is a release that I was after for years and ended up getting it in a mini-bundle of 3 10" records for £30 (I think, it was around that anyway). Pepper is such an underrated musician and should be considered a heavyweight IMO.

Kenny Dorham And The Jazz Prophets – Kenny Dorham And The Jazz Prophets - Another cool one that is in fantastic shape. This has the added bonus of being a sample/promo pressing (in theory this would bump the price up I guess) from the estate of record producer Tony Hall.

Screenshot 2021-11-09 at 15.26.46.pngScreenshot 2021-11-09 at 15.26.56.png

12"
Ill Considered – 10 - The Stroke - Funny as this is both a box set and a 12" mini-album. Vincent De Boer recently won an award for this which is really impressive.

The National - Cherry Tree - I bought this blind back when VMP had their throwback thursday. I was meaning to listen to The National's stuff and I think this was my gateway into them.

Screenshot 2021-11-09 at 15.27.22.pngScreenshot 2021-11-09 at 15.27.29.png

Last edited:
My only noteworthy 7-inch singles are from Secret 7" and I'm surprised that this image was still buried in my Imgur account somewhere:

eoVVyd7.jpg

Lorde - Team

When I saw in the PIFsgiving thread that Ruby Vroom had some value that I didn't realize, I sorted my collection by minimum value to see what other surprises there were.

Here's my top 10 sorted by minimum, not counting boxsets, with max next to it:
Bowie - Blackstar - 186/399
Bill Evans - Another Time - 113/199
Gillian Welch and David Rawlings - All the Good Times - 100/225
Khruangbin - Con Todo El Mundo - 100/222
All Them Witches - Nothing as the Ideal - 90/115
The National - Cherry Tree - 90/179
Soul Coughing - Ruby Vroom - 89/302
Anderson.Paak - Venice - 80/145
Elvis Costello/Burt Bacharach - Painted from Memory - 80/145
King Gizzard & tLW - Flying Microtonal Banana - 80/128

This 2 months seemed to fly by...

Not really anything new that pops up...a lot of shifting of releases that are already expensive. The only one that caught my eye was NIN - The Slip moving up to that bottom row.

This ranges from $1200+ for the Beatles Mono to $125 for the PG -So reissue.

Screenshot 2022-01-06 032828.JPG

Screenshot 2022-01-06 032642.JPG

here is my top 10
1641478639326.png
side note: how do you get the grey background theme, I cannot find it the settings

Closing out 2021 with my personal Top 50, ranges 65-230 or so

1641479057216.png

Not a ton of change from the prior posting other than shaving a couple duplicate titles through PIFSgiving or selling. Some updates of note

#3: That Metric live set has had a couple sales in the 200 range, so that number is probably a bit more solid than it was. Kind of insane, though maybe it's a hint to Metric to press their acoustic stuff more.

#13: Kanye? I have no idea why this is spiking up again.

#16: Sure, repress the first Christmas album repeatedy but leave Christmas Party alone. Maybe next year...

#26: The first new addition, it's Disney + Mondo so I can't say I'm shocked but it's some gorgeous artwork for sure.

#27: Finally seeing the movement on La Roux, another one that feels like it's probably owed a repressing at some point.

#34: Kind of insane that this was pretty much impossible to find until this year and then two different versions of it come out within a month of each other.

#41: Sia Christmas? Oh Discogs...

#45: The other Mondo new edition, people love their Pixar

So my Discogs thingy wouldn't show this because one's never sold there and otherwise there's not really been enough change to warrant posting a new picture, but Hawaii: Part II on clear vinyl has now sold on eBay for around $1500 twice now and may be going on a third.

And I still won't sell it!

EDIT: Fixed the link.

Last edited:
So my Discogs thingy wouldn't show this because one's never sold there and otherwise there's not really been enough change to warrant posting a new picture, but Hawaii: Part II on clear vinyl has now sold on eBay for around $1500 twice now and may be going on a third.

And I still won't sell it!

EDIT: Fixed the link.

A thousand and half, the second encore,
It could not make, but for as much now twice,
and once, tonight, for ten times seven more.

We might've watched the first two acts of Braunagh's production of Hamlet tonight. At any rate yeah what on earth. I'd have quite a payday if I could bare to part with it. Officially my most valuable record, even above the whole damn Beatles in Mono, at least according to Discogs. Or would, but mine's got a couple of seam splits so never would sell for that much. BUT I'M NOT SELLING IT.

Back