What's The Most Valuable Record In Your Collection?

June Update - not a lot changing this update, either. The Lord Of The Rings Box Set seems to be slowly creeping up in value.

This variant and most others of the new The Pretty Reckless album seems unusually high - not really sure why, could be the boobs in the gatefold.

sorted by median value

Screenshot 2021-06-09 184208.JPG

Screenshot 2021-06-09 183918.JPG

Interesting month

1625587393589.png

Notes

• The Phoebe market is, I think, settling. The massive influx of Punisher variants have (finally) driven those prices down as it leaves only the Magnolia Red in the Top 25 Median. With that said, the colored Stranger in the Alps album and Killer singles keep on rising up.
  • I mentioned in in the escalated thread, but Lorde's Melodrama (Deluxe) continues to trend up. This is buoyed by a truly dumb M/M sale but even without it it's still regularly three figures. This seems kinda ridiculous to me given that it's not a great QAed record and the deluxe add ins aren't amazing, but people will make their decisions.
  • A couple Ebay discrepancies (where their Discogs were lower than their Ebays) have been resolved as the Jack Johnson and Marina and the Diamonds both jump up. Marina is indicating a Froot repress is on the horizon so it may be time to deal that one if it feels right.
  • Welcome A Dotted Line to the Top 25. I picked up a second copy for someone who never responded to me on Reddit, so it may be time to cash in on that or make a trade. I think beyond Froot and A Dotted Line, the only newbie in this is the Sugarland Deluxe on the bottom which is actually a really fun listen.
  • If I removed duplicates, Waiting For The Dawn (The Mowgli's) and the deluxe Bob Burgers Box would sneak in.
  • Below the Top 27, trending up: Vroom Vroom EP (Charli XCX), La Roux (La Roux), Billie Eilish Live at Third Man (given the bajillion RSD copies made this is kinda surprising)

The Phoebe Bridges singles are unreasonably high! And although it didn’t make my top 25, I was surprised to see in @Lee Newman’s posting that the Gillian Welch/David Rawlings Boots No. 2 is creeping up in value.

D45ED151-1A66-4957-9CED-CB44D5891360.jpeg

fuck, that Over The Garden Wall vinyl makes me so jelly

According to the Blasting Company(the group who made the music for OTGW) a repress is coming! It's probably going through Mondo again.

Did you pick up the Tiny Star EP? It's still available on Mondo last time I checked and it's really good. Seriously underrated.

This keeps getting worse and worse but I ain't selling

View attachment 108152

View attachment 108151
everybody getting into the hobby in the past year bought up all the cheap copies of things so all that's left are the expensive ones where someone doesn't really wanna sell but would accept $3,000 for a record hah. i'm really tempted to sell my Captain Murphy - Duality record:

I actually want that record but not for 1500 lol. Even tho I want it, If I had it I'd sell it for that price

I actually want that record but not for 1500 lol. Even tho I want it, If I had it I'd sell it for that price
yea highest sold was $750. i sold my friend's copy for him on reddit about 2 years ago for $300 I think. crazy how much it has gone up. but i also think it's one of those records that may never get repressed with so many uncleared samples on it.

yea highest sold was $750. i sold my friend's copy for him on reddit about 2 years ago for $300 I think. crazy how much it has gone up. but i also think it's one of those records that may never get repressed with so many uncleared samples on it.
That's the thing. Sellers can price things however they want but no one will bite unless it comes back down to earth a little bit. That Disitegration Loops box's max price is $999. I could not imagine it goes for more than $1500 unless it's in perfect condition and sealed.

That's the thing. Sellers can price things however they want but no one will bite unless it comes back down to earth a little bit. That Disitegration Loops box's max price is $999. I could not imagine it goes for more than $1500 unless it's in perfect condition and sealed.
A lot of people still somehow don’t realize this though. I see people all the time saying “this record is worth $xxxx” but there’s a big difference between “for sale” price and “sold” price

A lot of people still somehow don’t realize this though. I see people all the time saying “this record is worth $xxxx” but there’s a big difference between “for sale” price and “sold” price
At least Discogs will show your collection value based off of sold price and not based off what the "current for sale rate is". It's definitely astounding that people will charge that much but it rarely goes for that much. Everyone thinks they're Halo2.

I think there's a bit of a tug of war there, since in this hobby it really doesn't make that many people buying it at the seller price to shift a whole market. This is likely more due to Discogs' not-so-great-marketplace than anything else, but I can think of a ton of records where the Discogs median price is nowhere near representative of the actual value of what the records are

With that said I agree entirely on this one. The las fewt eBay sales on the that Basinski was $1050, $579, and $950. I'd agree the current prices are bonkers and not what it's worth, I just think that if someone feels this compelling need to have it, it could become the market pretty quickly given the huge Discogs reliance for pricing. Or it could just be one insane person dropping 2.5k on something everyone else is between 600-1000 on.

I'm always a tiny bit skeptical of Have to Want ratios as well on things like that with four digit prices Like...it's about 3.5 want to 1 have which is obviously an in-demand item, but it's a 9xLP where 700 people have it and there's been numerous sales this year. LE of 2000 isn't THAT scarce. I compare it to something that actually sold for $2,500 as a modern item (Fishmans Rock Festival) - similar to Basinski hadn't sold for over like $900 on Discogs, but it also hadn't sold in a year and a half on Discogs at all, was Mint/Mint, and has a have-to-want ratio of something like 1:15. Not that have vs. want is a perfect barometer for value but if this was something I'd have to have, I'd be waiting for one of the other 1,999 people to decide they want a cool thousand.

Last edited:
I just think that if someone feels this compelling need to have it, it could become the market pretty quickly given the huge Discogs reliance for pricing. Or it could just be one insane person dropping 2.5k on something everyone else is between 600-1000 on.
This is what ruins discogs sellers' pricing. Once someone is drunk on a weekend browsing discogs and decides to buy a set for hundreds more than it should go for, everyone else selling it thinks they can get the same price for it. But that one sale was an anomaly.

Back