What's Spinning

Alabaster DePlume - To Cy & Lee: Instrumentals Vol. 1 (International Anthem Recording Company / Total Refreshment Centre, 2020 Coloured Pressing)

As far as 'beautiful' sounding albums go, this is certainly up there.

View attachment 57127

I was a bit hurt because I bought that from TRC's bandcamp and I guess they weren't around during covid to manage the orders and had oversold that variant. I was a bitter about it but seeing your pic made me realize it would just end up looking black on my platter. I just went ahead and bought the black version now. Fantastic album!

I also have a (older) Quad amp and pre-amp, inherited from my Dad who I think got them in the 80s. They sound sweet although not nearly as pretty as @Joe Mac's

View attachment 57215

I do like the 80s look of the preamp though and the fins on the front of the power amp are pretty damn good looking too imo! From what I’ve heard that’s a pretty well regarded combo that people are still buying/refurbishing/upgrading, I’ve seen some high end refurb/parts companies in the UK that offer services on the power amp part. Also there has to be something pretty damn nice about getting use and enjoyment of gear that’s been handed down to you!

I do like the 80s look of the preamp though and the fins on the front of the power amp are pretty damn good looking too imo! From what I’ve heard that’s a pretty well regarded combo that people are still buying/refurbishing/upgrading, I’ve seen some high end refurb/parts companies in the UK that offer services on the power amp part. Also there has to be something pretty damn nice about getting use and enjoyment of gear that’s been handed down to you!
I don't think they'd ever be judged sexy but they sound bloody great. I imagine they cost the old man a packet back in the day so I'm v happy to have them (and his old CD player, which I sadly v rarely play)

Screenshot_20200718-144348_Chrome.jpg

I don't think they'd ever be judged sexy but they sound bloody great. I imagine they cost the old man a packet back in the day so I'm v happy to have them (and his old CD player, which I sadly v rarely play)

View attachment 57233

I bet they did! I remember my dad buying his pioneer cd system back in 1991 and as a kid thinking that £500 back then was utter fortune!

The sound is all that matters in the end and if they still sound great that’s fantastic to still be getting use out of them!

I was a bit hurt because I bought that from TRC's bandcamp and I guess they weren't around during covid to manage the orders and had oversold that variant. I was a bitter about it but seeing your pic made me realize it would just end up looking black on my platter. I just went ahead and bought the black version now. Fantastic album!
As annoying as that is, the music makes up for it! Its a good colour when you hold it but certainly darkens when on the platter. You made a good choice going for the black pressing anyway, its superb!

Challenge thread cross-post...

XTC ‎– Skylarking
Ape House ‎– APELP113, 1986/2018

Cut by Jason Mitchell at Loud Mastering

kG3zRP.jpg

vg3MJP.jpg

Can’t wait to get my copy and spin it! By the way, did you get a shipping notice for this one? This was the marbled signed exclusive from her website, yeah?

Its the same one but I didn’t buy it off her website, it was sold out there when I ordered. I bought it from www.recordstore.co.uk and yes I got a shipping notification last Thursday when it shipped from England.

Usually I keep the volume at a level where I can still kind of hear what my kids are up to, but you really just gotta let this one eat.
FDE1F9B5-39D6-4208-A6E5-B76D7706E11C.jpeg
Incidentally, this one surprisingly showed up slipped into the box with Continuum. And it’s the flattest record I’ve received from VMP in I don’t know how long. They should maybe just ship two albums at a time?

Back