The Dark Side; Digital audio equipment recommendations and setup.

Can I ask what an SOtM is..

SOtM is a Korean company that makes network audio products. I use the little one (SMS-200 Neo) because it means that I don't need a direct connection between the Roon Core and the Chords.

Also holy crap to can actually asked a dCS Bartok.. that's the only real major step up you can make from a chord stack and that is shocking

There are a few companies that do some impressively bespoke things with digital other than Chord; as well as dCS, Esoteric, Nagra, Accuphase and Metronome all do bespoke decoding. What makes Chord notable is that what they do happens at a semi terrestrial price point.

Also MQA is mostly because
A) fixing what is apparently time smearing issues that makes DACs not sound right.. basically DSP
B) higher res audio while only really giving you a 24/44-48 file bitrate by just squishing all the other frequency in the inaudible range
C) I think roon/audirvana/UAPP do some upscaling (my LG phone upscales 44-48 MQA into 176 and 192.. and roon does the first unfold so there is always 24/88-96 before my hipdac renders it.. but using roon upscaling I don't notice a sound difference whether it's too DSD256 or highest power of 2 PCM)

Choosing my words carefully- I am posting in my own name after all- I just feel that none of the 'solutions' MQA purports to offer were beyond more conventional- and unlicensed- hardware and software.

oh and to start a little discussion and see what to do with roon (i tried both DSD256 and power of 2 and so far prefer just bit perfect for less CPU power and MQA support), but what do you think of oversampling and do you think it makes a difference?

So last night I got to missing my DAC1 being in my office because I didn't have the space, so we went the economical/small footprint route. I don't need anything over the top, so this little stack should suffice.........and kind of interested in seeing how it sounds since it's a popular budget choice :)

Stock Photo
Schiit Stack.PNG

So last night I got to missing my DAC1 being in my office because I didn't have the space, so we went the economical/small footprint route. I don't need anything over the top, so this little stack should suffice.........and kind of interested in seeing how it sounds since it's a popular budget choice :)

Stock Photo
View attachment 91902
Nice! The Black and red is sharp. I really like my stack, very interested to hear how you like it.

Nice! The Black and red is sharp. I really like my stack, very interested to hear how you like it.
The funny part is that my PC speakers bit the dust after, oh, I don't know, 20 years, last night, lol. I was actually looking at getting a really long headphone cable extension and running it all the way to my DAC1, but the thought of that made my OCD tingle. While I was poking around the Modi popped up on a search/feed and I was like, hmmmm...........

The saw the 3"x5" footprint and price and a few Youtube and random reviews later we spent $200 for the stack and another $100 for a set of Presonus Eris 3.5's and our office/desktop/digital/headphone solution is intact, lol

Looking forward to this little piece of kit :)

Last edited:
oh and to start a little discussion and see what to do with roon (i tried both DSD256 and power of 2 and so far prefer just bit perfect for less CPU power and MQA support), but what do you think of oversampling and do you think it makes a difference?

This is going to come across as a bit weird since I have a dedicated upsampler* in the system... but I don't really find the results of upsampling from Roon to be worth doing. First up, DSD upsampling is largely pointless. Unless you have an AKM based DAC or one of the Marantz players with the MMM system, both of which are designed to run in DSD, it's not worth it. ESS DACs can technically run native DSD but they never seem to sound terribly happy doing it.

PCM upsampling has some theoretical benefits but realising them is harder than it sounds. Depending on your Roon Core, the memory allocation to the upsampling can be too limited to be truly effective and if errors creep in, they're going to be perceivable (it's why the max setting usually sounds a bit grim). There can be benefits from setting a simple power of two upsample- particularly for 44.1, 48, 88.2 and 96kHz as these are well within the operating tolerances of most DACs but even then it's not clearcut. For the vast majority of kit here, it's left powered off. Weirdly, one of the nicest upsamplers I can remember testing was this little box which comfortably outperformed Roon across the same increments.

*Reconciled by the slightly oblique logic that the Mscaler upsamples as a side effect of increasing the filter length rather than doing it for bigger numbers.

Got these for a bargain and a half and very happy with them. Super light and very comfortable and the build quality and design are superb. I know they need a little time to settle in, I'd read that some people thought they were a bit bassy, maybe a bit, I did grab a recommended set of cushions that should bring the bass back in check, they weren't very expensive so I figured we could do a little comparison. They're keepers :)

Meze 99 Classic
20210314_173243.jpg

Got these for a bargain and a half and very happy with them. Super light and very comfortable and the build quality and design are superb. I know they need a little time to settle in, I'd read that some people thought they were a bit bassy, maybe a bit, I did grab a recommended set of cushions that should bring the bass back in check, they weren't very expensive so I figured we could do a little comparison. They're keepers :)

Meze 99 Classic
View attachment 92005
I'd love to hear what you think about the bass difference between the ear pads. I have the Grado SR225 headphones, and while they sound truly incredible, they are as equally uncomfortable. I've been spying the Meze's for awhile, but the emphasized bass reputation turned me off.

I'd love to hear what you think about the bass difference between the ear pads. I have the Grado SR225 headphones, and while they sound truly incredible, they are as equally uncomfortable. I've been spying the Meze's for awhile, but the emphasized bass reputation turned me off.
I had these on my list even without the deal, sound quality is important to me, but I'm not chasing the same kind of sound I was chasing with my system. Comfort on the other hand...if you listen a lot, which I normally do after hours, the Prestige series aren't really built for that it seems, at least I can't wear them for very long.

That being said, there was also some commentary that the bass settles in after about 40 hours, so we'll see. I've plugged them into my NAD while I continue burn in on the Goldring, so we're working double duty. These were the pads that were recommended if you're interested, Brainwavs Audio, like I said, for under $20 it's worth checking out.

Last edited:
UPDATE: Meze 99 Classics

So I've put about 30 hours on these and a few things are abundantly clear, I think the bass commentary is poorly defined, and here's why. When listening through the Prima Luna the bass is a bit heavy, but over time it did start to work itself out, the headset leans towards the warm side and coupled with the warm output of my main rig it kind of just adds to that. That being said, when listening on the NAD (solid state) rig, these sound absolutely perfect in my opinion. Same goes for when I was streaming, yes a touch, barely, on the bass-y side, but I like that warmer sound and feel. Outside of that, very detailed, clear and spacious.

Meze_Brainwavz_PO.jpg

Now, replace the standard pads with the Oval Hybrid Earpads from Brainwavz and the Meze's are dead on perfect on all outputs. I think the "problem" is that the standard pads, while super comfortable are a bit shallow, my ears went just about to the driver when wearing them. I think the reduced space is what's causing the bass to be a little heavy, no breathing room so to speak. The Brainwavz pads are a bit firmer (Memory Foam, very nice) and deeper, and still super comfortable. For the $15 price tag its a worthwhile upgrade in my opinion if you decide to grab a pair of the 99 Classics.

EDIT - See next post :)
The only nit-pick is the Brainwavz are designed to go over the cups and they cover some of that beautiful wood............but the sound that they produce more than makes up for that minor "blemish"

Last edited:
Sooooo....without reading anything in this thread, eventually I’m going to be interested in adding streaming capabilities to my system. Nothing too crazy and will only be used for when I don’t feel like playing records. What do I need or where do I start because I don’t have the foggiest.
Thanks!

Sooooo....without reading anything in this thread, eventually I’m going to be interested in adding streaming capabilities to my system. Nothing too crazy and will only be used for when I don’t feel like playing records. What do I need or where do I start because I don’t have the foggiest.
Thanks!

The magic question is. What do you want to spend? Also, just Spotify/airplay or do you want to play with hi res streaming too.

@jamieanderson1968 For now Spotify. We just have the standard family plan. Nothing high res. I never use download codes and I stopped ripping music(from CDs) to my phone, years ago. As far as budget. Let’s say budget friendly or anything under $1,000?

Oh that’s a huge budget. I’d be looking at the Bluesound Node 2i.

I have the Bluesound Node 2i and it would fit your bill I think. It plays well with most streaming services.

Though unless you are streaming at CD quality as a minimum, why not just use an old phone or tablet connected to the AUX port?

I’ve seen that. What are other options if my budget was huge?
This thread is not my forte, but I will add one small comment. Really look at your utilization, I mean, how often, what your using and from where. I have stored files and I like to stream when it's the best option, but I don't think my "usage" would ever need anything overly expensive, which I've found out over time.

Back