What's Going On Up There- The Headphone Thread

So if I’m thinking about grabbing an entry-level headphone amp to pair to my Grados, do we have opinions on a Music Hall HA 11.1 vs a Schiit Magni Heretic?
I've only got opinions on the Magni, but it's a nice little thing. You might also look into Topping, which consistently gets top marks in testing.

So if I’m thinking about grabbing an entry-level headphone amp to pair to my Grados, do we have opinions on a Music Hall HA 11.1 vs a Schiit Magni Heretic?
For those playing along at home, based on what I’ve found I’d skip that Music Hall HA 11.1 (tempting as that $99 open box on MD might seem). It’s more or less just a rebadged Creek OBH-11 with some minor tweaks, which doesn’t have the best reputation. And for $10 more you can get the Magni Heretic new. So that’s the direction I’m going.

For those playing along at home, based on what I’ve found I’d skip that Music Hall HA 11.1 (tempting as that $99 open box on MD might seem). It’s more or less just a rebadged Creek OBH-11 with some minor tweaks, which doesn’t have the best reputation. And for $10 more you can get the Magni Heretic new. So that’s the direction I’m going.
Good choice.

In case anyone is still searching the Sony WH-1000XM4 are on sale for $280. Assuming this runs through the Memorial Day weekend.

Got a pair of the Sony WH-1000XM5s for free through my employer and thought I'd be reaching for them over my Sennheiser HD6XXs for at least a little bit, but goddamn, these things are $400 headphones but come no where near the comfort and listenability of Senny's half their price. I can listen to my Senns all.day.long and not feel any degree of discomfort or audio fatigue.

With the Sonys I feel like I have to take them off every hour, the top band just weighs into your head, doesn't feel great and the sound while not bad by any stretch just tires you out so fast.

I bought myself some 6XX because my sundaras died, and I think I kinda like these now than the sundaras, they feel balanced enough and I don't even use my bass boost like on the hifiman because they have just enough thump to sound nice and warm

I bought myself some 6XX because my sundaras died, and I think I kinda like these now than the sundaras, they feel balanced enough and I don't even use my bass boost like on the hifiman because they have just enough thump to sound nice and warm
The 6XX is a great pair of cans. They are comfortable for long term listening too.

Okay… I bought the Sennheiser HD 599 SE during the big Amazon sale event.

1. I was not really expecting much. I am blown away. I spent two hours listening to music after a late night at work instead of going to bed hearing new things in old music.

2. I had not planned on grabbing headphones until next year for a few reasons but the reviews on these things were okay and the price seemed great so I did it. Anyhow, I think I am definitely going to still want to explore headphones a bit. My next purchase will probably be a cd transport in January or so…

What would be a good recommended wireless headphone with active noise canceling?

… thinking $400 would be my upper budget for this bit of kit. While I like the sound of the Sennheiser not necessarily looking for that bit of warmth. In other words open to any type of sound signature here. I actually would like something a little more transparent in presentation. This might be used in the system but would probably replace my earbuds for listening while traveling. Earbuds would still be in play for walking/getting from the garage to work etc…. So primarily looking for something that would play well with my iPhone and be able to make the best of Qobuz.

1. I was not really expecting much. I am blown away. I spent two hours listening to music after a late night at work instead of going to bed hearing new things in old music.

2. I had not planned on grabbing headphones until next year for a few reasons but the reviews on these things were okay and the price seemed great so I did it. Anyhow, I think I am definitely going to still want to explore headphones a bit. My next purchase will probably be a cd transport in January or so…

What would be a good recommended wireless headphone with active noise canceling?

… thinking $400 would be my upper budget for this bit of kit. While I like the sound of the Sennheiser not necessarily looking for that bit of warmth. In other words open to any type of sound signature here. I actually would like something a little more transparent in presentation. This might be used in the system but would probably replace my earbuds for listening while traveling. Earbuds would still be in play for walking/getting from the garage to work etc…. So primarily looking for something that would play well with my iPhone and be able to make the best of Qobuz.
I have used the Sony WH-1000XM3s almost every day for four years and love them. They're onto XM5s now, with a slightly different design. Not sure what their sound signature would be, but they sound great, they're very comfortable, the battery life is excellent, and the ANC is also fantastic.

I have used the Sony WH-1000XM3s almost every day for four years and love them. They're onto XM5s now, with a slightly different design. Not sure what their sound signature would be, but they sound great, they're very comfortable, the battery life is excellent, and the ANC is also fantastic.
Yeah I’ve read that Sony is the name of the game in ANC. It’s always good to hear from an actual user though. (Really not worried about sound signature that much)

With wireless ones you won’t make the most of any hi res service because they’re all Bluetooth so limited to cd quality. But with ANC and being out and about that actually is pretty great sounding all the same.

I have Beats Studio Wireless 3. I’ve had them for 5 years now and like them for commuting/travelling. The apple W1 chip makes them a doddle to pair and the connection rock solid. Decent battery life too. The models like mine since apple took over aren’t as boomy as fuck anymore either, they sound fine.

With wireless ones you won’t make the most of any hi res service because they’re all Bluetooth so limited to cd quality. But with ANC and being out and about that actually is pretty great sounding all the same.

I have Beats Studio Wireless 3. I’ve had them for 5 years now and like them for commuting/travelling. The apple W1 chip makes them a doddle to pair and the connection rock solid. Decent battery life too. The models like mine since apple took over aren’t as boomy as fuck anymore either, they sound fine.
Good to hear they have toned down the boom. I think audiophiles in general look at that product line the wrong way, they are discounted as “lifestyle” headphones… which isn’t untrue but when you think about the fact that Dre and Iovine worked on their initial design… why wouldn’t they be boomy? A boomy system done right serves a purpose and is a legitimately desired sound signature just not one most >50 year olds are looking for.

Good to hear they have toned down the boom. I think audiophiles in general look at that product line the wrong way, they are discounted as “lifestyle” headphones… which isn’t untrue but when you think about the fact that Dre and Iovine worked on their initial design… why wouldn’t they be boomy? A boomy system done right serves a purpose and is a legitimately desired sound signature just not one most >50 year olds are looking for.

Yeah and a little bit of low end reinforcement is actually quite a good thing on wireless headphones designed to be used with anc on the go in busy and loud environments. They’re perfect for that. I’d not want them connected to any hifi, but then equally I wouldn’t want open back plannars on the tram!

Yeah and a little bit of low end reinforcement is actually quite a good thing on wireless headphones designed to be used with anc on the go in busy and loud environments. They’re perfect for that. I’d not want them connected to any hifi, but then equally I wouldn’t want open back plannars on the tram!
Different uses different equipment (I also am coming to believe uses can be interchanged with music)

Different uses different equipment (I also am coming to believe uses can be interchanged with music)

First point definitely. With the second perhaps with an unlimited budget. I do feel that with careful component matching you can get a very nice sounding system that will do very well at most types of music.

First point definitely. With the second perhaps with an unlimited budget. I do feel that with careful component matching you can get a very nice sounding system that will do very well at most types of music.
I’m not trying to build a 100k system with multiple turntables and what not. I know for a fact that sound that makes me listen to a lock of rock makes me listen to less classical and sound that makes me listen to more classical makes me listen to less rock. These sound signatures play well with most kinds of jazz. I think my current set up does remarkably well with both but I am looking to maximize my enjoyment with the genres I care the most about and really building with that knowledge moving forward. The classical set up will be secondary to the primary set up.

I’m not trying to build a 100k system with multiple turntables and what not. I know for a fact that sound that makes me listen to a lock of rock makes me listen to less classical and sound that makes me listen to more classical makes me listen to less rock. These sound signatures play well with most kinds of jazz. I think my current set up does remarkably well with both but I am looking to maximize my enjoyment with the genres I care the most about and really building with that knowledge moving forward. The classical set up will be secondary to the primary set up.

I suppose but there are also way more than one way to skin a cat. Rather than having multiples of the bigger gear that costs and take space small tweaks like having a tt with a removable headshell and maybe a more analytical cartridge for the classical/electronic.

Also don’t discount the difference a well blended musical sub like a REL can make to improve the usability across genres of a system like mine that might otherwise trend warm.

I suppose but there are also way more than one way to skin a cat. Rather than having multiples of the bigger gear that costs and take space small tweaks like having a tt with a removable headshell and maybe a more analytical cartridge for the classical/electronic.

Also don’t discount the difference a well blended musical sub like a REL can make to improve the usability across genres of a system like mine that might otherwise trend warm.
It’s really why the classical part (which will really just be another set of speakers) is the last bit. I’m a tinkerer but also have a toddler. I’m also not inclined to have multiple head shells and what not. Seems like an aggravation (in mostly that I’m getting older with multiple forms if arthritis so that fine detail small work is a frustration). I’d be more likely to have multiple tables… but again with respects to my peculiarities… even when I have a cart that makes classical more enjoyable, I don’t find the medium (vinyl) conducive to my enjoyment of the genre (classical music)..

I am actually actively looking for a different sound when I listen to vinyl than I am when I stream or listen to a cd or have background music going. It’s a completely different experience. I’ve found that my audiophile tendencies are better served elsewhere. I still desire great pressings and equipment that produces a full representation of what is in the music but am interested in coloration with vinyl, not so much for streaming. My most favorite music all seems to benefit from this color and I like the tactile/ritual aspect of vinyl.

It’s complicated. I am perfectly confident that my end game vinyl setup will play well with all kinds of music, but I also know Iwant different things for classical. I would also have to up my sticker game which is admittedly an ocd piece already which is also probably a big factor in my thoughts building up.

Since you are in the Apple eco system, what about AirPods Pro? I have a pair of 2nd gen. ANC and transparency mode (which is great for telephone calls) plus spatial audio. These are my go to for wireless headphones out and about. They connect instantly with my iPhone when I shove them in my ear holes.

Back