What's Going On Up There- The Headphone Thread

Since you are in the Apple eco system, what about AirPods Pro? I have a pair of 2nd gen. ANC and transparency mode (which is great for telephone calls) plus spatial audio. These are my go to for wireless headphones out and about. They connect instantly with my iPhone when I shove them in my ear holes.
My echo buds do all that. Was looking for something a little more audiophile than a earbud. Earbuds are fine for out and about, this is more for like reading late at night while on vacation…

My echo buds do all that. Was looking for something a little more audiophile than a earbud. Earbuds are fine for out and about, this is more for like reading late at night while on vacation…
Gotcha

My friend loves his Sennheiser Momentum 4’s. I tried them a few times and they are very nice. Great soundstage though I found the ANC a bit much in them but my bad ear is very sensitive to that.

Yeah I’ve read that Sony is the name of the game in ANC. It’s always good to hear from an actual user though. (Really not worried about sound signature that much)
I have the Sony XM4’s which go on sale quite often. I got them on one of those sales. They are great and I love that they can pair with two devices at once, like my phone and my computer.

Did some vinyl spinning during toddler nap time…
The new Metallica is a very bad mix on vinyl… should ab the digital at some point. BG Dark Side and the 50th Anniversary Sgt Pepper’s were -*chef’s kiss*

Last edited:
Any suggestions for some in-ear wireless buds?

My biggest thing I want is the best sound for the price.
Call quality and ANC are of lesser importance (with call quality being the least important).
Multi-point connection would be nice but not necessary.
Good battery life is important (to include charge from case); wireless charging is a nice idea but not needed 'cause I don't have a charge pad and wouldn't necessarily get one (although they're certainly not cost-prohibitive).
Comfort is, of course, important - I'm not a masochist after all!

My top contender are the Technics AZ80's. The sound is well-reviewed. ANC lesser than Bose or Sony options but not something I care as much about. Battery life seems on par with similar offering. The price of $300 is about where I'd like to stick.

I'm familiar with the Sony WF-1000XM5 and Bose options that are similarly priced but I've read the Technics are kind of tops with sound.

I've also heard the Sennheiser Momentum TW3's are quite nice (and about $100 less than the Technics).

I will mostly use these for listening to music while out and about. Because I'm not constantly taking phone calls (I mean, who is?), call quality is, again, less important. But I would like the ANC to be serviceable for times I am in loud public areas.

Thanks for any insights!

Any suggestions for some in-ear wireless buds?

My biggest thing I want is the best sound for the price.
Call quality and ANC are of lesser importance (with call quality being the least important).
Multi-point connection would be nice but not necessary.
Good battery life is important (to include charge from case); wireless charging is a nice idea but not needed 'cause I don't have a charge pad and wouldn't necessarily get one (although they're certainly not cost-prohibitive).
Comfort is, of course, important - I'm not a masochist after all!

My top contender are the Technics AZ80's. The sound is well-reviewed. ANC lesser than Bose or Sony options but not something I care as much about. Battery life seems on par with similar offering. The price of $300 is about where I'd like to stick.

I'm familiar with the Sony WF-1000XM5 and Bose options that are similarly priced but I've read the Technics are kind of tops with sound.

I've also heard the Sennheiser Momentum TW3's are quite nice (and about $100 less than the Technics).

I will mostly use these for listening to music while out and about. Because I'm not constantly taking phone calls (I mean, who is?), call quality is, again, less important. But I would like the ANC to be serviceable for times I am in loud public areas.

Thanks for any insights!
I love my NuraTrue Pros, they sound incredible

Haven't seen those before! I'm gonna have to give them a look.

But just to make sure I am looking at the right thing....I see that it started as a Kickstarter but now they are associated or supporting Denon PerL Pros?
Oh, that’s right. I think Nura may have gotten acquired recently. I got mine through Kickstarter after owning the NuraTrues for a year or so.

Oh, that’s right. I think Nura may have gotten acquired recently. I got mine through Kickstarter after owning the NuraTrues for a year or so.
Yea I figured it out. Looks like they partnered with (were acquired by) Denon. One reviewer, who had Nuras from the KS, said they're pretty much the same just with Denon on it (and they said that as a positive review).

Yea I figured it out. Looks like they partnered with (were acquired by) Denon. One reviewer, who had Nuras from the KS, said they're pretty much the same just with Denon on it (and they said that as a positive review).
Just looked them up and it looks like Denon just slapped their logo on the ear buds and packaging and called it a day, everything else down to the app looks exactly the same.

I honestly wasn’t expecting a whole lot from the Sennheisers given the price. However, I’ve been very much enjoying them. I’m also absolutely certain this was a rabbit hole I should have avoided (I WANT MOOOOOORR.)

Anyhow, how do you guys handle cable management? I bought this thing for the side of my console, but I haven’t really come up with a solution I like for the cable. Considering getting another just for the cable but wanted to hear what folks do with the cables when not listening:
IMG_3998.jpeg

I’ve been thinking of buying a set of open backed headphones now that I live alone. I like the idea of being able to use headphones so I don’t disturb my neighbors and yet want to hear my phone or someone at my door.

I’d been thinking of the Drop Sennheiser 6XX as I always liked the 600. Then again, I’m a big Grado cartridge fan as many know. I pulled the trigger on a pair Grado SR80x. They arrive tomorrow. Will see what I think.

Well the SR80x arrived. And I’m not convinced I’ll keep them. I’m considering moving up to Hemps and calling it good.

The 80x is a lot of headphone for $125.

Well the SR80x arrived. And I’m not convinced I’ll keep them. I’m considering moving up to Hemps and calling it good.

The 80x is a lot of headphone for $125.
I’m thinking about getting the hemps after I get a set of closed backs. Will be interested in your thoughts as always.

Any recs for ear pads for Grados (325x specifically)? The rug burn on your ears makes them unlistenable for any length of time.

I hardly use them because of it which is a shame, they sound great.

Last edited:
I’m on my third use of the Grado 80x that I bought. These are keepers- light weight, comfortable and sound really good over a wide range of genres. Will moving up likely give more performance? Sure but I’m happy with these, and at $125, they are a great value.

Back