What's Going On Up There- The Headphone Thread

Grado sale on discontinued headphone models

So.. I've decided to move on from the GS3000e's as I'm just not using them. They sound great.. best headphone I've heard personally.. but I just like listening through my Forte's more. They're on ebay starting at $1200.. but thought I'd say that if someone here is interested I'd be willing to take a little less or to trade for something or somethings.. got an extra pair of nice speakers laying around collecting dust? Got a bunch of Blue Note albums that you're not playing? Maybe those MoFi's aren't getting played?

Not linking to the ebay auction as I'm not sure what the rules are about that kind of thing, but if you're interested and want to trade for something of value in the same range let me know.. $1800 new in December... or if you want to make an offer let me know.. I'd rather sell to someone on the site than ebay for sure..

Thanks all..

I have only tried the SR-60/80, so look forward to your thoughts although I have read they have more detail.
Ok. So tubes are warmed up and the ride has begun. Never been a cans guy. So really enjoying the true separation of instruments! It’s like SACD/DVDA in 5.1 but better. Thank you for the recommendation. As mentioned in my vintage post I cannot f’ing believe what vintage gear is priced at right now. I mean who is paying for this old stuff. Cans for the win and that’s why I splurged. $hit mid fi cans are so much cheaper than a repair bill! Or refoam.

Ok. So tubes are warmed up and the ride has begun. Never been a cans guy. So really enjoying the true separation of instruments! It’s like SACD/DVDA in 5.1 but better. Thank you for the recommendation. As mentioned in my vintage post I cannot f’ing believe what vintage gear is priced at right now. I mean who is paying for this old stuff. Cans for the win and that’s why I splurged. $hit mid fi cans are so much cheaper than a repair bill! Or refoam.
Your welcome and great the hear!

Keep and eye out for vintage KLH 5/6/17 on your craigslist, usually around $100 a pair orso. You can update the 2 caps on the crossover board and surround glue on the woofers for about $25, refresh then refinish the cabinets with Howards. You will have a very nice set of vintage speakers for far less than equivilent Dynaco's or AR's . They will play great with your Scott tubes. When the time comes to have the Scott worked on make sure the tech does not make it "too modern" with bright/modern sounding caps that will take the soul away.

Last edited:
Ita been forever but its in stock again

Product MAGNI 3+ HEADPHONE AMP AND PREAMP (ARTMGN3+) is back in stock​

Hello ,
Thanks for your patience and finally the wait is over!
Your Subscribed Product MAGNI 3+ HEADPHONE AMP AND PREAMP (ARTMGN3+) is now back in stock or available for order on the website and will be shipped soon! We only have a limited amount of stock, and this email is not a guarantee you'll get one, so hurry to be one of the lucky shoppers who do.

Please check the product carefully because specs can be changed a bit with new DAC chips for example, or its simply a new upgraded model. Also check the expected shipping date under the price, do not ask if its shipped already before this date is expired...If you missed the desired product please subscribe again, we expect new stock soon!!
Add this product MAGNI 3+ HEADPHONE AMP AND PREAMP (ARTMGN3+) directly to your cart Schiit MAGNI 3+ HEADPHONE AMP AND PREAMP

Hi I bought some Hifiman Sundara's but haven't been able to give them a proper test yet as the cable I so short. I can't seem to get a decent view on cable quality, would anyone recommend either a replacement, longer cable that would improve the sound, or if the Sundara cables are ok, maybe an extension?

@MikeH Took a screenie of the kickstarter update. Looks like Nura is finding a way for everyone without AptX support to stream lossless on the NuraTrue Pro 👀46FD4F5B-87BC-4989-9D94-B783EEA47769.jpeg

I made the mistake of listening to Audeze Electrostats and LCD-5s today and now I’m wondering how much one of my kidneys might fetch on the open market.

Is there a consensus pick for best headphones for a vinyl set up?

I picked up a PS Audio Sprout 100 along with a Thorens 160 Super restoration from Vinyl Nirvana with will be running an Oforton 2m blue cart on a Rega moth tone arm.

Is there a consensus pick for best headphones for a vinyl set up?

I picked up a PS Audio Sprout 100 along with a Thorens 160 Super restoration from Vinyl Nirvana with will be running an Oforton 2m blue cart on a Rega moth tone arm.
Aesthetically, Meze 99 Classics would look pretty nice with that setup! As far as character goes, though, headphones are pretty personal. Grados, maybe?

Grados were what I was leaning towards. But I know next to nothing about their headphone products.
I have a pair of Grado SR225e. They sound nice, but actively hurt to wear for more than an hour or two. If you plan on long listening sessions, I'd steer clear.

Per my above post, I was in the market for different headphones. Not only did the Grados hurt to wear but the left channel up and died.

Enter a new pair of b-stock HiFiMan Edition XS (Open back planars) and a used Schiit Lyr 3 headphone amp. I'm using a Bluesound Node2i that was temporarily being unused as the streamer/DAC, controlled by Roon from a tablet. This is all setup on my work desktop at home.

So far everything sounds great, and most important of all, the headphones are super comfy. Really excited to find new music via Roon Radio while I work.
20230112_141628.jpg

Thats a fun looking setup!! Enjoy!!

I can't get enough of Roon radio.. throw on one song and then let Roon do the rest.. its glorious and for sure how I find most of my new music these days..

I posted this a while back in the tech thread but this little Questyle M15 DAC and Campfire Andromeda 2020s running through Tidal on my phone is just incredible.
ANDROMEDA2019.jpgquestyle_m15-15.jpg

Back