WHAT IS FOR LUNCH!??!?! A thread to discuss most important decision of the work day!

That would be great. My experiments with my instant Pot have been back and forth. Sometimes the vegetables get a little overcooked.

Well, in this case everything kind of gets cooked down into a sauce, so not an issue. :)

New Orleans Style Red Beans and Rice
original recipe by J. Kenji Lopez-Alt, adapted for Instant Pot

• 1 pound dry Central American (small) Red Beans, picked over
  • kosher salt
  • 1 tbsp vegetable oil, bacon fat, or lard
  • 1 pound cooked andouille or other smoked sausage, cut into ½ inch thick rounds
  • 1 large onion, finely chopped
  • 1 green bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and finely chopped
  • 4 ribs celery, finely chopped
  • 4 medium cloves of garlic, minced
  • ½ tsp to 1 tbsp ground cayenne (exercise good judgment)
  • 1 tsp ground sage
  • freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 smoked ham hock (optional)
  • 4 sprigs fresh thyme
  • 3 bay leaves
  • hot sauce (Crystal is traditional)
  • cider vinegar

Set Instant Pot to saute on high heat and add oil/fat. Add sausage and saute until lightly browned, 3-5 minutes. Add onion, bell pepper, and celery. Season with salt, then cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables have softened and are just beginning to brown around the edges, about 8 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 45 seconds. Add cayenne pepper, sage, and 10-12 generous grinds of black pepper. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add beans, enough water to cover by about an inch (6-8 cups), ham hock (if using), thyme, and bay leaves.

Seal with lid, making sure the release valve is closed, and cook on high pressure for 70 minutes. When cook time is complete, press ‘cancel’ to end the keep-warm mode, and let sit for 15 to 20 minutes to depressurize.

Open lid and use tongs to fish out ham hock, bay leaves, and thyme stems, mash beans lightly with a wooden spoon or potato masher, if desired, and simmer on Sauté setting, stirring occasionally, until it reaches your desired texture. Season to taste with hot sauce, cider vinegar (a few teaspoons to start) and salt and pepper.

Serve over steamed rice.

Last edited:
Well, in this case everything kind of gets cooked down into a sauce, so not an issue. :)

New Orleans Style Red Beans and Rice
original recipe by J. Kenji Lopez-Alt, adapted for Instant Pot

• 1 pound dry Central American (small) Red Beans, picked over
  • kosher salt
  • 1 tbsp vegetable oil, bacon fat, or lard
  • 1 pound cooked andouille or other smoked sausage, cut into ½ inch thick rounds
  • 1 large onion, finely chopped
  • 1 green bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and finely chopped
  • 4 ribs celery, finely chopped
  • 4 medium cloves of garlic, minced
  • ½ tsp to 1 tbsp ground cayenne (exercise good judgment)
  • 1 tsp ground sage
  • freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 smoked ham hock (optional)
  • 4 sprigs fresh thyme
  • 3 bay leaves
  • hot sauce (Crystal is traditional)
  • cider vinegar

Set Instant Pot to saute on high heat and add oil/fat. Add sausage and saute until lightly browned, 3-5 minutes. Add onion, bell pepper, and celery. Season with salt, then cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables have softened and are just beginning to brown around the edges, about 8 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 45 seconds. Add cayenne pepper, sage, and 10-12 generous grinds of black pepper. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add beans, enough water to cover by about an inch (6-8 cups), ham hock (if using), thyme, and bay leaves.

Seal with lid, making sure the release valve is closed, and cook on high pressure for 70 minutes. When cook time is complete, press ‘cancel’ to end the keep-warm mode, and let sit for 15 to 20 minutes to depressurize.

Open lid and use tongs to fish out ham hock, bay leaves, and thyme stems, mash beans lightly with a wooden spoon or potato masher, if desired, and simmer on Sauté setting, stirring occasionally, until it reaches your desired texture. Season to taste with hot sauce, cider vinegar (a few teaspoons to start) and salt and pepper.

Serve over steamed rice.
I’m taking the Instant Pot plunge today, but was thinking about using NYT’s pressure cooker method. I already have their vegan variation going in the slow cooker, and it already smells incredible, so I’m thinking I’ll stick with them for the version with meat so I can do a side-by-side comparison of the final result.

Kenji’s uses fewer spices but adds the cider vinegar, so I’ll keep that in mind if it needs some brightening up at the end. For the meat dish, I’m also adding in about 6 oz of tasso ham on top of the andouille and ham hock, just for kicks.

I know it’s a pretty basic dish, but I can’t accurately convey how excited I am about dinner tonight without embarrassing myself.

I’m taking the Instant Pot plunge today, but was thinking about using NYT’s pressure cooker method. I already have their vegan variation going in the slow cooker, and it already smells incredible, so I’m thinking I’ll stick with them for the version with meat so I can do a side-by-side comparison of the final result.

Kenji’s uses fewer spices but adds the cider vinegar, so I’ll keep that in mind if it needs some brightening up at the end. For the meat dish, I’m also adding in about 6 oz of tasso ham on top of the andouille and ham hock, just for kicks.

I know it’s a pretty basic dish, but I can’t accurately convey how excited I am about dinner tonight without embarrassing myself.

Whatever recipe you use, the real advantage is being able to cook from dried beans without soaking. Let me know how it goes! Tasso ham sounds like a lovely addition.

And I believe the cider vinegar in Kenji's recipe is to try and replicate some of the acidity you would get from using the traditional pickled pork. If you've got that handy, I believe you can use it in place of the hock and drop the vinegar entirely.

Is this the thread where I would confess that I made scrambled eggs yesterday with soy milk. Vanilla sweetened soy milk. Complete accident. It was effing disgusting and I have been unable to eat since. Lol

Is this the thread where I would confess that I made scrambled eggs yesterday with soy milk. Vanilla sweetened soy milk. Complete accident. It was effing disgusting and I have been unable to eat since. Lol
Just gonna say eggs scramble just fine all by themselves, no additives needed.

oh no sweet honey chile, what have you done

Back