WHAT IS FOR LUNCH!??!?! A thread to discuss most important decision of the work day!

has anyone else gotten really into pickling since in quarantine. I absolutely despise regular raw red onions, but pickled red onions... :whistle:πŸ‘ŒπŸ‘ŒπŸ‘Œ
For some reason the process has always seemed intimidating to me (I know it's simple in theory, just get wigged out about knowing whether I've sterilized/sealed stuff appropriately), but I'd like to do more pickling/canning/jarring.

For some reason the process has always seemed intimidating to me (I know it's simple in theory, just get wigged out about knowing whether I've sterilized/sealed stuff appropriately), but I'd like to do more pickling/canning/jarring.
General idea is to kill it all with heat and seal it up but you hedge your bets by adding acid to offset the pH to the point the average bugs won't even have a chance even if they got left behind. I make candied jalapenos most years for christmas gifts. Also, I do pepper salt, that is hot pepers minced and left in salt then dehydrated again.

has anyone else gotten really into pickling since in quarantine. I absolutely despise regular raw red onions, but pickled red onions... :whistle:πŸ‘ŒπŸ‘ŒπŸ‘Œ

Pickled red onions are delicious on almost everything. It's insane how good they are.

I like Kenji's recipe - throws a couple jalapenos in there for good measure.

There are always quick-pickles, which these are.

I just had a late breakfast of hacked-together migas (scrambled eggs, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, chile powder, crumbled tortilla chips, a sprinkle of pepper jack). Have some pizza dough rising for this evening.
I recently made migas for the first time! Soooo good. I like your ingredients for it. I think I'll try and make them again this weekend :)

I recently made migas for the first time! Soooo good. I like your ingredients for it. I think I'll try and make them again this weekend :)

I normally require toast with my scrambled eggs, but migas are hearty enough that I can eat them on their own. It's a nice compromise!

I had some last week with an absolutely delicious salsa de morita from a local taco place, and I'm so sad to be out of it.

I normally require toast with my scrambled eggs, but migas are hearty enough that I can eat them on their own. It's a nice compromise!

I had some last week with an absolutely delicious salsa de morita from a local taco place, and I'm so sad to be out of it.
Do tell what the local taco place is. I'm always looking for tacos.

so the next trick is do the your migas a la mexicana and throw the aforementioned spicy pickled red onion on top.

the taqueria next door pan fries their homemade flour tortillas to make these chunky chips for their migas, and dear lord.

There are always quick-pickles, which these are.
Yeah, I've done that a couple of times. I think when I said I found it intimidating, my brain had actually gone from pickling to jarring/canning, which I do find more genuinely daunting. I know it's not complicated, it's really just a matter of making the effort to learn the techniques, planning ahead to clear the blocks of time, having the materials on hand, and being disciplined while I do it. Not to mention buying/growing the quantities of food that would make that a worthwhile exercise to begin with. Maybe my goal for this summer will be to learn how to put up some good tomato sauces for the winter.

When I was growing up, every year my mom would freeze insane quantities of peaches every summer. On a lot of nights dessert would just be a bowl of mostly thawed but still ice cold peaches that had been frozen in their own juices and a really light simple syrup. Sometimes with a scoop of ice cream, but often just by themselves. My little brother did a lot of his teething on chunks of frozen peach.

Damn, make that two projects for this summer.

Back