WHAT IS FOR LUNCH!??!?! A thread to discuss most important decision of the work day!

Irish Stew made with a Baltic Porter I homebrewed in Feb. 2011 right before I got sober. Also includes tempeh and seitan I made in house.

Red Lentil Stew

Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili
Made this last night:

Added chickpeas. It's pretty good, but like most stews, better today.

Hey do you use this website much? It seems pretty cool.
I don't. That's the first thing I've ever made from it. Generally I don't find food websites with a 'hook' (budget, diet, kid-friendly, quick) to have consistent quality, because they make sacrifices for recipes that fit their brand. Serious Eats and The Kitchn are the only two that I really count on to deliver. I've been going deep on NYT for some more plant-based meals lately too.

Hey do you use this website much? It seems pretty cool.
I don't. That's the first thing I've ever made from it. Generally I don't find food websites with a 'hook' (budget, diet, kid-friendly, quick) to have consistent quality, because they make sacrifices for recipes that fit their brand. Serious Eats and The Kitchn are the only two that I really count on to deliver. I've been going deep on NYT for some more plant-based meals lately too.
I'll second this. Budget Bytes does have a gimmick and a lot of their recipes are repetitious or lean on dry pantry staples and spices. There are a few that have been pretty good, but I've found they are sometimes overly complicated and they don't really deliver on the back end.

I'll second this. Budget Bytes does have a gimmick and a lot of their recipes are repetitious or lean on dry pantry staples and spices. There are a few that have been pretty good, but I've found they are sometimes overly complicated and they don't really deliver on the back end.
I used to think that getting better at cooking meant being able to execute recipes better, and there is some of that, but I feel like the real skill I've built over the last several years is reading a recipe and having a feel for whether it's worth the effort. And I learned to pretty much immediately discredit any recipe that uses any variation of the word "yummy."

Back