Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary Review

I know little about speaker spacing. What is the "semi-recommended" distance from the wall? I understand this is very relative to the space, etc - - but, any average?

I’d start at a foot from the back of the speaker to the wall. The more away from the wall you get, the less bass reinforcement you’ll get from the wall. But imaging and sound staging will improve. It’s a trade off. Generally I recommend as far away from the wall as your room and other furnishings allow. You’ll know when it’s right. Everything will snap into place.

That said, don’t do it now. Your system will sonically change during break in. Do it in 125-150 hours. It’ll be settled by then.

View attachment 106023

to be a little more more fair :) , I had them on home demo for 3 weeks, just decided on something else more suited to my tastes (vintage Klipsch Heritage). But I redily support anyone going in on them like @Ghost @Crabbers , etc great value in new! If it's ok to ask here btw, has anyone gotten a listen to the new KLH reissues yet ?
Which Heritage speakers did you end up getting?

Which Heritage speakers did you end up getting?

I completely forgot! Congratulations. :)

Feels like my Lintons are really starting to break in. I was a bit underwhelmed by the sound when I initially got them but something has definitely changed in like the last 10 hours or so of listening. Only thing I think I have yet to be impressed by is how the Lintons present drums, I feel like they don’t carry the kick I expected. Sometimes I feel like the drums on my R-51PMs were a bit more visceral. That being said, you really can just get stuck in front of these things for hours with out realizing

Do any of y’all plug your TV audio into your Wharfs? I usually only watch TV shows or sports and was wondering if I should be using these for my TV audio or just stick with my TV speakers // get a sound bar dedicated to tele.

Last edited:
Do any of y’all plug your TV audio into your Warfs? I usually only watch TV shows or sports and was wondering if I should be using these for my TV audio or just stick with my TV speakers // get a sound bar dedicated to tele.

I think @HiFi Guy has said before that he runs his tele through his system. I got a sonos base and 2 of the small ones for surround sound without wires and to avoid my turntable going through an av receiver but if two channel was enough I’d have happily run it through my system too, isn’t going to do it any harm and will break it in quicker.

I think @HiFi Guy has said before that he runs his tele through his system. I got a sonos base and 2 of the small ones for surround sound without wires and to avoid my turntable going through an av receiver but if two channel was enough I’d have happily run it through my system too, isn’t going to do it any harm and will break it in quicker.
I’m the same. Sonos sound bar + Sonos ones for rear surround then my other setup and speakers for vinyl and streaming music.

I've always rigged my TV through my stereo Hi Fi. You don't get the surround sound but it sounds pretty great. I don't need to have any TV sound at the moment but if you struggle with the sound not appearing to come from the TV, you can just bring the TV sound up very quietly in the mix and it will centre it.

Do any of y’all plug your TV audio into your Warfs? I usually only watch TV shows or sports and was wondering if I should be using these for my TV audio or just stick with my TV speakers // get a sound bar dedicated to tele.
I have my Roku/Projector playing through my Wharfes and can’t complain much. Sometimes it can sound a bit bright, but that seems pretty rare and I’ve noticed it more on older movies

I have my Roku/Projector playing through my Wharfes and can’t complain much. Sometimes it can sound a bit bright, but that seems pretty rare and I’ve noticed it more on older movies
don't be afraid to use your NAD tone controls. That's why their there.

Last edited:
I can only imagine, the bass is wonderful on these. A wee too much for my 2nd level apartment unit, but with tone controls it’s been fine! Can’t wait to have a space where I can really let that bass run wildb
Man.. that new DARKSIDE album on these Wharfs - sexxxxy!

I can only imagine, the bass is wonderful on these. A wee too much for my 2nd level apartment unit, but with tone controls it’s been fine! Can’t wait to have a space where I can really let that bass run wildb
you can also pull them out from the back wall a little more, that can help.

Back