Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary Review

I've read some guys try stuffing one of the ports
Did that for a while but found that it made the tweeters sound worse? Does that sound crazy? There was a noticeable difference in SQ when I would stuff em and then take em out lol! The tone controls have been perfect

This may be covered elsewhere in the thread but I am going to pull the trigger on a pair of Lintons soon. My wife does not like the open storage stands (of course I do because I love more storage) are there good alternative stands out there?

This may be covered elsewhere in the thread but I am going to pull the trigger on a pair of Lintons soon. My wife does not like the open storage stands (of course I do because I love more storage) are there good alternative stands out there?

There aren’t any other stands than I have seen for them. I’d be surprised if a third party manufacturer made them because I don’t know that there would be a huge market for them given that the stands that come with them are so perfect for them.

You could potentially use a small table or stool that was the right dimensions but it wouldn’t be as heavy so it wouldn’t provide as good vibration damping and you’d have to be carful that it was the same height because the tweeters are designed to be at that height to give the perfect sound to someone sat down.

So I suppose the short answer to that is no there isn’t anything designed really so you would have to either compromise or commission something bespoke which would be pricy.

Last edited:
As long as you know the height of the current stands and the weight of the speakers you should be able to use any comparable generic stands that fit the bill.

well, they're finally here

A3AF4AFE-B760-442F-8E4C-D629973EE8A5.jpeg

stunned by how beautiful they are. It's my second day with them, and I still have a bit of imposter syndrome having these in my home.
the sound is beautiful as well, never heard music sound so full in my life. I wouldn't say the clarity impresses me that much, and they are quite boomy in the current position (well, both problems may be more room than speakers), but there are some mids, both upper and lower, that make me stop in my tracks and eye the Lintons suspiciously. How dare they play those sounds?.. Not to mention they unveiled a whole bunch of setup issues in my turntable, which was set to make my old Canton satellites sound decent in room too large for them. If I were honest, I was expecting a much greater difference in sound upgrading from my old bargain Canton sats+sub. It could very well be that those small German speakers punch way above their league (which I believe they do), or that I made a poor job of positioning the Lintons diagonally in my square room (which I believe I did). Doesn't wipe the smile from my face either way.

View attachment 109064

stunned by how beautiful they are. It's my second day with them, and I still have a bit of imposter syndrome having these in my home.
the sound is beautiful as well, never heard music sound so full in my life. I wouldn't say the clarity impresses me that much, and they are quite boomy in the current position (well, both problems may be more room than speakers), but there are some mids, both upper and lower, that make me stop in my tracks and eye the Lintons suspiciously. How dare they play those sounds?.. Not to mention they unveiled a whole bunch of setup issues in my turntable, which was set to make my old Canton satellites sound decent in room too large for them. If I were honest, I was expecting a much greater difference in sound upgrading from my old bargain Canton sats+sub. It could very well be that those small German speakers punch way above their league (which I believe they do), or that I made a poor job of positioning the Lintons diagonally in my square room (which I believe I did). Doesn't wipe the smile from my face either way.

Nice! They look great in your set up. They will be boomy that close to the back wall. If you can get them even 30cm further forward you’ll notice a big difference!

Congrats and I really hope that you enjoy them!

View attachment 109064

Beautiful, Gratz!

As @Joe Mac said, being that close to the wall and a corner wall, is definitely going to bring up the boom. Of course, sometimes we don't have a lot to work with when it comes to placement.

Yeah, I was kinda hoping the fact that they're angled to the wall would compensate their being close to it, but my audio intuitions do not seem to match the actual physics.

Will experiment with them pulled in a bit, it's possible, but not aesthetic. (y)

Squad, how do you think an Onkyo A-9010 will do powering these things? This will probably be an interim step before I get my big boy amp, but I'm thinking they'll do fine in the meantime?

Having a bit of a dilemma for where to put my system in this rental. I've got 2 choices: a living room at 6m x 3.5m or a summer room at the rear of the house at 6.5m x 5m. The summer room seems like the better option, but I may have to point the speakers to a wall with a bunch of glass. Not ideal, but I think it'll make sense.

Squad, how do you think an Onkyo A-9010 will do powering these things? This will probably be an interim step before I get my big boy amp, but I'm thinking they'll do fine in the meantime?

Having a bit of a dilemma for where to put my system in this rental. I've got 2 choices: a living room at 6m x 3.5m or a summer room at the rear of the house at 6.5m x 5m. The summer room seems like the better option, but I may have to point the speakers to a wall with a bunch of glass. Not ideal, but I think it'll make sense.

I think @Crabbers is powering them with an Onkyo and he seemed pretty pleased. They aren’t fussy speakers at all in my experience. I had a bit of down time while my old power amplifiers were being serviced in January and I ran them using my older Sony integrated. They still sounded fantastic.

As for the room it might not be ideal but if that’s the room that suits the way you both live to have it in and it’s the one you’d prefer to sit in listening to music then they have got to be the main considerations, will just have to work around it. Plus it’s Australia, won’t you have that wall of glass open most of the time anyway 😂

Last edited:
As for the room it might not be ideal but if that’s the room that suits the way you both live to have it in and it’s the one you’d prefer to sit in listening to music then they have got to be the main considerations, will just have to work around it.
This, we don't all have the opportunity for the "perfect" space ;)

This, we don't all have the opportunity for the "perfect" space ;)

Totally and sometimes the perfect space isn’t the perfect sounding as such. We don’t all live in acoustically designed studio environments and let’s face it why would we want to. But buy the nicest gear you can afford and set it up carefully and then just enjoy and don’t overthink it.

You could always use some thick theatre style curtains over the glass when listening and open them when sunning yourself :cool: Some speakers sound good in a livelier room, some don't. If there is a rug and a couch, furniture, etc that will also soak up some reflections.

Back