Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary Review

Here’s a question for y’all -

First off, this thing doesn’t lack any bass. The bass sounds mixed well and would be enough for any normal, reasonable person. However, as a bass player, I often like bass that is offensive to others. I’m not talking about neighborhood shattering, but definitely cranked up.

Question - would it be crazy to pair a subwoofer with these?

Thoughts?

First off, this thing doesn’t lack any bass. The bass sounds mixed well and would be enough for any normal, reasonable person. However, as a bass player, I often like bass that is offensive to others. I’m not talking about neighborhood shattering, but definitely cranked up.

Thoughts?
Crazy, around here, what exactly does that mean, lol.

I would try moving them closer to the wall and see how it sounds ;)

Thoughts?
Does your amp have tone controls ? If yes, try raising the bass a notch or 2.

I've never had a concrete floor in my listening environment, wonder what the others feel the impact is on lowend ?

I’m nearly certain it does not (why wouldn’t all amps have this option?)

@HiFi Guy
Some do, some higher end units don't. It's a design/philosophical thing. Yours is a integrated amp, correct ? One reson I like vintage gear, not all recordings are equal or audiophile pressings so it's nice to tweak eq and or loudness and have a mono mode.

Some do, some higher end units don't. It's a design/philosophical thing. Yours is a integrated amp, correct ? One reson I like vintage gear, not all recordings are equal or audiophile pressings so it's nice to tweak eq and or loudness.

Nope! Fortunately it sounds great, except I’d like to add more bass. I guess I answered my own question!
try playing with placement like @AnthonyI said, a inch or two can make a difference, but not always good either.

The Linton's go down to 40Hz. A good sub like Rel or Hsu for ie could you get the extra bottom octave your looking for but tbh it's a big rabbit hole

Your amp has a subwoofer output, but some subs runoff cable leads from your speakers then get crossed over at the sub. Like a said its a rabbit hole. But here to help if you need it. I'm sure others will chime in as well.

Your amp has a subwoofer output, but some subs runoff cable leads from your speakers then get crossed over at the sub. Like a said its a rabbit hole. But here to help if you need it. I'm sure others will chime in as well.
Thanks! Curious what compact subwoofers y’all like. I’m actually not looking for something crazy if I do get something. I probably want something slim that I can tuck under my TV stand. It’s not a huge room

I’ll keep playing with distance from wall and keep breaking it in as well. Thx!

@HiFi Guy - thoughts ?

Thanks! Curious what compact subwoofers y’all like. I’m actually not looking for something crazy if I do get something. I probably want something slim that I can tuck under my TV stand. It’s not a huge room

I’ll keep playing with distance from wall and keep breaking it in as well. Thx!

@HiFi Guy - thoughts ?
I've been happy with my REL, and it looks like they have a fairly compact offering:

I've been happy with my REL, and it looks like they have a fairly compact offering:

Thanks, this looks sweet!

FYI - I moved my speakers a little closer together, pushed them towards the wall a few inches and took some toe out and they already sound quite a bit better. Sounds like I really have to play with them. That likely won’t change me getting a small sub, but just to add the punch when I want it since no EQ.

Last edited:
Back