Vinyl Me Please Rap & Hip Hop

Also, I know The D.O.C. is from Dallas but No One Can Do It Better is a proto-G-Funk album. Produced by Dr. Dre and originally released on Ruthles.
So next three months we got:

A west coast album that sounds like a southern rap album
A southern rap album that sounds like a west coast album
A Chicago rap album that sounds like a Klingon rap album

So next three months we got:

A west coast album that sounds like a southern rap album
A southern rap album that sounds like a west coast album
A Chicago rap album that sounds like a Klingon rap album
Yeah, The Bay Area Hyphy scene is it’s own thing for sure but I don’t know if I would say it sounds like Southern Rap. It’s definitely not LA Rap which is what most people associate with West Coast Rap.

I just didn’t think the future would sound so crummy.
i kinda wanna make an OK boomer joke but seriously.. we just have different taste, i like the dumb aggressive energy (similar to other heavy influence on modern rap, waka flocka flame's flockavelli), you find it shitty. it saves you about 30 bucks so there is no force to buy it (and its better than future's honest)

i kinda wanna make an OK boomer joke but seriously.. we just have different taste, i like the dumb aggressive energy (similar to other heavy influence on modern rap, waka flocka flame's flockavelli), you find it shitty. it saves you about 30 bucks so there is no force to buy it (and its better than future's honest)
By all means you do you, I am not saying anyone can’t love it. I personally don’t enjoy it and you do and that’s okay.

Ya might wanna give the whole “Boomer” thing a rest though. It’s a bit passé now isn’t it? Unless it’s so passé that it’s turned the corner and become clever in an ironic sort of way. Especially since I’m a Millennial (an aged Millennial but a Millennial nonetheless).

Ya might wanna give the whole “Boomer” thing a rest though. It’s a bit passé now isn’t it?
yeah it is passe now, i dont even make the joke anymore, just that the artist is important to the modern era so it was easy to make those jokes

(plus we are at war with millennials now /s)

Unless it’s so passé that it’s turned the corner and become clever in an ironic sort of way.
not yet... it usually takes at least 3-5 years for that to happen (see dabbing)

yeah it is passe now, i dont even make the joke anymore, just that the artist is important to the modern era so it was easy to make those jokes

(plus we are at war with millennials now /s)

not yet... it usually takes at least 3-5 years for that to happen (see dabbing)
Zillennial checking in, why are we at war with the Millennials? I didn’t get the dossier.

I feel like they've done a pretty good variety as far geography/styles over the 50+ choices so far. All the major hubs are well represented (LA, NY, ATL). I included some of the rap albums they've done in Essentials.

The biggest ones I'd like to see would be:
Detroit - they did Donuts, but the Detroit scene has been pretty deep and varied over the last 20 years
Houston - they did UGK, but there's so much to mine from that whole era
Bay Area - nice to see E-40 upcoming, but again, there's soooo much more they could do
Miami - Rick Ross & Denzel only scratch the surface of their respective eras, plus it would be nice to get a Miami bass pick

Midwest
Chicago - Noname, Common, Saba, Chief Keef
Indiana/Chicago - Gibbs
Minn - Eyedea

West Coast
LA/Socal - Living Legends, Madlib, Open Mike Eagle, Snoop, Knxwledge, PUTS, Quas, D.O.C.
Bay Area - Blackalicious, E-40

UK - Little Simz, Slowthai

East Coast
New York - De La, Doom, Queen Latifah, HBMS, Camp Lo, Meth, Run-DMC, El-P, Salt N Pepa, Prince Paul, Lord Finesse, Ghost, Redman, PE, Wu, Main Source, Fugees
Philly - Ivy Sole, Roots
DC/MD - Rico Nasty

South
VA - NERD, Clipse x2
Atlanta - Goodie, T.I., OutKast x3, Future, Big Boi, Killer Mike, Young Thug, Luda
Kentucky - Nappy Roots
Memphis - 3-6
NO - Wayne, Juve
Florida - Denzel, Rick Ross
Houston - UGK

Not Really Rap - Badu
Chicago roots, Atlanta label, West Coast sound - Da Brat

I will find the New York Times think piece but it basically says that Gen Z is Chill AF and will do it there own way when they damn well please and Millennials need to chillax.

Edit: Here it is…

Yeah well jokes on them we destroyed the fucking planet on the way out the door so SUCK ON THAT ALL YOU CHILL COOL MOTHERFUCKERS

Zillennial checking in, why are we at war with the Millennials? I didn’t get the dossier.
eh people are trying to start it but its a weird meme in more pointless culture war argmuments

I'm sorry what, I was to understand that dabbing was the bomb diggity.

-basks in coolness-
yes and no... its went from awesome.. to a joke.. to ironically loved, to fuck it i just do it often

I feel like they've done a pretty good variety as far geography/styles over the 50+ choices so far. All the major hubs are well represented (LA, NY, ATL). I included some of the rap albums they've done in Essentials.

The biggest ones I'd like to see would be:
Detroit - they did Donuts, but the Detroit scene has been pretty deep and varied over the last 20 years
Houston - they did UGK, but there's so much to mine from that whole era
Bay Area - nice to see E-40 upcoming, but again, there's soooo much more they could do
Miami - Rick Ross & Denzel only scratch the surface of their respective eras, plus it would be nice to get a Miami bass pick

Midwest
Chicago - Noname, Common, Saba, Chief Keef
Indiana/Chicago - Gibbs
Minn - Eyedea

West Coast
LA/Socal - Living Legends, Madlib, Open Mike Eagle, Snoop, Knxwledge, PUTS, Quas, D.O.C.
Bay Area - Blackalicious, E-40

UK - Little Simz, Slowthai

East Coast
New York - De La, Doom, Queen Latifah, HBMS, Camp Lo, Meth, Run-DMC, El-P, Salt N Pepa, Prince Paul, Lord Finesse, Ghost, Redman, PE, Wu, Main Source, Fugees
Philly - Ivy Sole, Roots
DC/MD - Rico Nasty

South
VA - NERD, Clipse x2
Atlanta - Goodie, T.I., OutKast x3, Future, Big Boi, Killer Mike, Young Thug, Luda
Kentucky - Nappy Roots
Memphis - 3-6
NO - Wayne, Juve
Florida - Denzel, Rick Ross
Houston - UGK

Not Really Rap - Badu
Chicago roots, Atlanta label, West Coast sound - Da Brat
i dunno if UGK count since that wasn't an essential or R&HH but just an exclusive pressing

we could try and make a big spreadsheet for what years and what state/country they are in (as well as "sub-genre" and splitting it over all 4 subs).. but i know literally jack shit about using excel and i have to do go to bed in like 10 minutes

Back