Vinyl Me Please Rap & Hip Hop

As I mentioned in the Essentials thread. It doesn't sound BAD, but I think I was expecting more out of it. Like if this was an essay, I'd give it a solid B+ and tell them to do better next time.
i meant riddled in surface noise or pops

My ATLiens is noise-free. #wow #humblebrag #soblessed
Initially I thought mine was free of the defect too but upon a closer listen it’s still there, it’s just on the quiet side and I have to be really listening for it to notice it. I mean I wish it wasn’t there but it also doesn’t hamper my enjoyment of the LP.

Initially I thought mine was free of the defect too but upon a closer listen it’s still there, it’s just on the quiet side and I have to be really listening for it to notice it. I mean I wish it wasn’t there but it also doesn’t hamper my enjoyment of the LP.
That's always a possibility with me, I very rarely listen to vinyl through headphones, for example. I feel like if I did, I'd hear flaws in just about every record in my collection and go insane as a result.

But on some semi-nice speakers with the volume turned up to a respectable level, ATLiens sounds just peachy to my ears.

"Galaxy red and blue"

Looks more like sky blue and marbled bronze for new

They’ve been riddled with issues and muddled for years now. Perhaps more frequent now than ever though, seems like every month there are major quality control issues. And for the prices they are charging, especially for a one month subscription, it’s bordering on ridiculous and apathetic.
To me what upsets me most. Because of so many things not just out of principle but thoughtfulness, care, pure sanity, and more. They could've waited at least. But they increased prices in the MIDDLE OF THE PANDEMIC. How so fucking lame is that. Do it now, that feels different. But last summer, c'mon man.

To me what upsets me most. Because of so many things not just out of principle but thoughtfulness, care, pure sanity, and more. They could've waited at least. But they increased prices in the MIDDLE OF THE PANDEMIC. How so fucking lame is that. Do it now, that feels different. But last summer, c'mon man.
I mean if we really want to get into it:

It's not just that they raised the prices in a pandemic. At the end of the day it's still a business and they have to do what they have to do to survive. The problem, in my opinion is that they raised the prices:

a) Without doing what they could on THEIR end to lower the bottom line. I think their shipping practices are still completely out of whack.
b) Without doing everything in their power to ensure that the records are arriving intact, and are up to snuff. Like, has anyone gotten a complete anthology that didn't need at least one replacement? How many replacement copies of MV, Outkast and Wu do you tink they've sent out?

If the increase was used to provide a bump in the level of quality control from GZ, or better packaging to ensure no damaged albums then fine. But the quality has only gotten worse.

Last edited:
Man, this has been said many times over but I finally just picked up Soul Food and wow, what a great pressing. The sound is huge on this one, can't believe I passed on it as a swap for so long. Would've kicked myself it went permanently OOS in retrospect.

Man, this has been said many times over but I finally just picked up Soul Food and wow, what a great pressing. The sound is huge on this one, can't believe I passed on it as a swap for so long. Would've kicked myself it went permanently OOS in retrospect.
Yup, and hey:
Screen Shot 2021-09-14 at 1.54.40 PM.png
Turns out once upon a time they COULD do something right.

Has anyone compared the VMP Wu-tang pressing to previous vinyl versions yet? I'm listening first time through and I don't think it's a massive improvement on the original CD version. I wasn't expecting much given the source material - just curious if people are hearing a massive improvement over the single LP versions.

Has anyone compared the VMP Wu-tang pressing to previous vinyl versions yet? I'm listening first time through and I don't think it's a massive improvement on the original CD version. I wasn't expecting much given the source material - just curious if people are hearing a massive improvement over the single LP versions.
I was gonna A/B it but I will probably wait until I get my replacement copy.

So I listened to the last part of it to make sure "It's a secret! Never the Wu-Tang" was included as it's missing from many versions of the vinyl. I also spun Protect your Neck on my 2000 Repress and the more recent Yellow repress and the VMP pressing is substantially louder and the bass knocks way harder. Like, I never A/B diffrent copies of records like this and this is quite the discovery. Glad these tracks got some space to breath.

I mean if we really want to get into it:

It's not just that they raised the prices in a pandemic. At the end of the day it's still a business and they have to do what they have to do to survive. The problem, in my opinion is that they raised the prices:

a) Without doing what they could on THEIR end to lower the bottom line. I think their shipping practices are still completely out of whack.
b) Without doing everything in their power to ensure that the records are arriving intact, and are up to snuff. Like, has anyone gotten a complete anthology that didn't need at least one replacement? How many replacement copies of MV, Outkast and Wu do you tink they've sent out?

If the increase was used to provide a bump in the level of quality control from GZ, or better packaging to ensure no damaged albums then fine. But the quality has only gotten worse.

These are the exact same problems that have been there for years and the same ones that assured their customers over and over again they would address.

They got too big for their infrastructure about the time they originally released Demon Days. There was a steady increase in issues until they squashed their own forum in the name of sorting themselves out but they haven't and they won't. It just is what it is. They have no motivation to be great when they sell what? almost 100k records a month? Their bottom line is just fine.

So working on updating my VMP RHH analysis spreadsheet.

What region is Virginia? South? (This may be a dumb question)

So working on updating my VMP RHH analysis spreadsheet.

What region is Virginia? South? (This may be a dumb question)
From what I found on the internets.

According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the South is composed of Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, Kentucky, West Virginia, Maryland, the District of Columbia, Delaware, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia—and Florida.

So I'd assume yes, but not sure they take hip hop into consideration.

Back