Vinyl Me Please Rap & Hip Hop

From what I found on the internets.

So I'd assume yes, but not sure they take hip hop into consideration.
I feel stupid asking as an American, but the blend between East and South gets very tough. Like in my brain I immediately jumped to Virginia = South. But then at the same time I'd feel weird classifying J. Cole as South if he was picked and North Carolina is actually further south than Virginia (thigh Cole has a lot of NY connection so that probably also helps confuse that).

At one time Virginia could have been called South (Richmond was the literal capital of the Confederacy) but its identity has largely changed in the last 20 years or so where it's probably best defined as "mid-Atlantic" with states like Maryland and Delaware.

If we're talking music stylistically, I don't typically lump it in with the likes of ATL or other solidly southern rap scenes.

I feel stupid asking as an American, but the blend between East and South gets very tough. Like in my brain I immediately jumped to Virginia = South. But then at the same time I'd feel weird classifying J. Cole as South if he was picked and North Carolina is actually further south than Virginia (thigh Cole has a lot of NY connection so that probably also helps confuse that).
Yeah, Virginia is where the east meets the south even still, it’s not a perfect fit but if you asked your typical Virginian they would certainly consider themselves Southern. So I usually let them self define.

Right channel static on Side A and insead of a Side C label I ended up with two Side D’s. Regular VMP bullshit.

Got the right channel static on mine too. At least it sounds like this isn't as widespread as Outkast???

I know thing s happen but at this point, with this company, I really resent having to go through the rigamarole. I'm super busy in my current life. I can't always listen to an album when it arrives at my home. Sometimes it takes me a week or two and with VMP I have to listen to everything right away just to make sure there are no issues... and there almost always are.

Got the right channel static on mine too. At least it sounds like this isn't as widespread as Outkast???

I know thing s happen but at this point, with this company, I really resent having to go through the rigamarole. I'm super busy in my current life. I can't always listen to an album when it arrives at my home. Sometimes it takes me a week or two and with VMP I have to listen to everything right away just to make sure there are no issues... and there almost always are.
Yeah for me, when I first joined; the biggest concern was whether the jacket was damaged as the records were almost always in great shape but the past couple of years the pressing defects have been exhausting. I am pretty much done with VMP for everything other than maybe an occasional dip into the Classics sub after this. At least until they get their QC in check.

I'm a Chicago suburbanite through and through so really anything south of the city is considered the south to me 🤣
Oh we know. I am from Pontiac, IL which is about 100 miles south on I-55. We all say “you guys” and drink “Pop” but Chicagoland residence still treat anyone south of I-80 as a downstate bumpkin. My estimation is anything south of Springfield on down is where Illitucky starts. You begin seeing more St. Louis Cardinals hat than Cubs and hearing people say “y’all“ or “I reckon”or “worsh”.

Tbh my British friend was surprised about the same thing

Also now 2 more 2000s Southern rap albums (even if good ones) and one New York

WEST COAST WHEN?

I was gonna post something similar about west coast rap but was like is it just my bias? so thank you!! :)

What’s the issue I need to listen for on public enemy? besides quietness

My side a wu tang is very static-y

Spun PE. Really one of the most disappointed I’ve been in the sound of a record. That is not how PE is supposed to sound. The CD from back in the day had such a powerful sound. Quiet and muffled is not how PE is meant to sound.
I have to turn this up to levels that my neighbors would call the cops on me for with other records to even come close to that signature PE punch.

Spun PE. Really one of the most disappointed I’ve been in the sound of a record. That is not how PE is supposed to sound. The CD from back in the day had such a powerful sound. Quiet and muffled is not how PE is meant to sound.
I have to turn this up to levels that my neighbors would call the cops on me for with other records to even come close to that signature PE punch.
THANK YOU! Glad to have some confirmation that I'm not crazy.

THANK YOU! Glad to have some confirmation that I'm not crazy.

Maybe I got lucky on this one. I don't have static and mine sounds pretty good. I think it is a little muffled maybe and i don't have a CD player to run through my speakers to do an even comparison but it sounds pretty good to me... but maybe you all have nicer systems than I do or something.

Anyway, I haven't listened to PE in awhile and this is not their most celebrated album but it still feels/sounds as fresh as it did to me back then. Glad to have this one on vinyl finally

Back