Vinyl Me Please Rap & Hip Hop

I hope it’s Redman. Muddy Waters is a fantastic album.

There’s some potentially great picks coming up in the Hip-Hop track. This selections this year have been wildly inconsistent, so I’d be impressed if they manage to end the year on such a strong note.

I hope not because the Craft Recordings reissue sounds really good and the Gatefold jacket is really nice as well! I highly recommend that pressing! I got it when VMP was selling it in their store, when they sold non-VMP vinyl reissues and new releases back then!

If it was a future VMP ROTM though, I'd still get it because I freaking love that album! I love Dilla's production on that one so much! In some ways, I prefer it more to their debut album - The Pharcyde - Bizarre Ride II!
I recently picked up this reissue after giving up on finding an original pressing and agree on its quality. Also, I definitely prefer Labcabin over Bizarre Ride. I love the darker tone of Labcabin in contrast to Bizarre Ride (similar to De La Is Dead vs. 3 Feet High).

I recently picked up this reissue after giving up on finding an original pressing and agree on its quality. Also, I definitely prefer Labcabin over Bizarre Ride. I love the darker tone of Labcabin in contrast to Bizarre Ride (similar to De La Is Dead vs. 3 Feet High).
And I love the jazzy, lowkey R&B kinda sound of Labcabincalifornia too! Like it has that semi neo-soul, groove-theory like feel with that East-Coast production! I think Bizarre Ride II and Labcabincalifornia are equal for me! Can't choose between the two! I love them both so much!

I definitely prefer 3 Feet High& Rising over De La Soul Is Dead, but I love De La Soul Is Dead though! I love De La Soul's first four albums so much! All four are marvellous albums!

It’s meeeee! 🙉🦏🤛😼🧨😈😤🚨🔥🆘🎬🤟👾🤪

I miss moshpitting! @gaporter - I had tickets to a booked out 100 Gecs concert that was suppose to happen this year in June! Me and a few friends were really excited! The concert sold out on the day and I knew the crowd would’ve been crazy and fun! 😩
I feel your pain. I was supposed to see Hayley Williams live in June. 😭

I would in a heartbeat. Flockaveli is one of the most influential and necessary albums of the past decade whether you want to admit it or not. And for a trap album, the production has aged very very well. Hard in da Paint, No Hands, and Grove Street Party still hold up to this day and still get played constantly at parties.

can you expand on this, ie how it was so influential? I’m not familiar with it and just listened to it. Would be hard pass for me

Muddy Waters is the Redman album I listened to the most. I enjoy it a lot. I really don’t want to give VMP more money though. I will probably just stick to MOV Stankonia and look for a cassette of Muddy Waters.
I really want them to take my money for Redman Muddy Waters. That album is perfect 👌

can you expand on this, ie how it was so influential? I’m not familiar with it and just listened to it. Would be hard pass for me
If you've listened to any mainstream rap in the last decade, you'd definitely hear the influence. If you're automatically saying it would be a hard pass though, I take it you don't (and that's perfectly fine). Around the late 2000's - early 2010's, there was a huge shift in the direction of rap. Lex Luger, who produced majority of Flockaveli, created a new orchestral sound for the trap subgenre (beats like BMF, Hard in da Paint, HAM) which brought the genre to the mainstream, and a lot of other producers started trying to replicate the sound. The entire 808 Mafia production crew ended up growing from originally Lex and Southside to TM88, Fuse, Tarentino amongst many others and rappers from Gucci, Rick Ross, 2 Chainz, Meek Mill, Future, Young Thug, and Travis Scott frequently featured these producers on their tapes. Artists like Chief Keef have also molded their sound around the style that Waka popularized. The entire south started to really blow up and a lot of the production style as well as the "loud, in-your-face delivery" you hear on Flockaveli can still be heard in today's mainstream releases.

It's not for everybody & you don't have to enjoy the influence it has had, but it definitely is an important release in my opinion.

If you've listened to any mainstream rap in the last decade, you'd definitely hear the influence. If you're automatically saying it would be a hard pass though, I take it you don't (and that's perfectly fine). Around the late 2000's - early 2010's, there was a huge shift in the direction of rap. Lex Luger, who produced majority of Flockaveli, created a new orchestral sound for the trap subgenre (beats like BMF, Hard in da Paint, HAM) which brought the genre to the mainstream, and a lot of other producers started trying to replicate the sound. The entire 808 Mafia production crew ended up growing from originally Lex and Southside to TM88, Fuse, Tarentino amongst many others and rappers from Gucci, Rick Ross, 2 Chainz, Meek Mill, Future, Young Thug, and Travis Scott frequently featured these producers on their tapes. Artists like Chief Keef have also molded their sound around the style that Waka popularized. The entire south started to really blow up and a lot of the production style as well as the "loud, in-your-face delivery" you hear on Flockaveli can still be heard in today's mainstream releases.

It's not for everybody & you don't have to enjoy the influence it has had, but it definitely is an important release in my opinion.
Oh shit why do I keep mixing Waka & Keef up. Im really clueless on this part of trap history 🤦🏻‍♂️

If this album is responsible for popularizing that sound, it is an important record, because it ruined rap. That is the most despicable sound in the history of rap in my opinion.

You clearly have a thoughtful approach to it, and I mean no disrespect. But as a golden age rap fan, that sound is truly the ruin the genre.

I’ve mentioned this before, that I love Rick Ross but he has never made a great record, because he always includes a few songs that sound just like BMF which completely ruin it. So yeah, not a fan! lol

If this album is responsible for popularizing that sound, it is an important record, because it ruined rap. That is the most despicable sound in the history of rap in my opinion.

You clearly have a thoughtful approach to it, and I mean no disrespect. But as a golden age rap fan, that sound is truly the ruin the genre.

I’ve mentioned this before, that I love Rick Ross but he has never made a great record, because he always includes a few songs that sound just like BMF which completely ruin it. So yeah, not a fan! lol

Worse than the snap era? hmmm... idk man.... i also don't think rap has ever been ruined though. It has been great since the start. New styles came and went but the real never stopped.

Hah well, I have mostly checked out since that sound came into popularity, other than the legends that kept putting out quality like Jay and Kanye, and the couple of new school legends like Earl and Kendrick. I’d have to google the snap era to even know what it is. The real may still be alive, but it used to be part of the mainstream which it no longer is.

agree that this just isn’t my jam in terms of rap styles. I like some trap, the old schoolers, I can get down with some Future, I like Rick Ross mainly bc of his voice I think (though I haven’t picked up the record). But otherwise not into it... thanks earlier to the explanation of his, and his producers influence.

also - wtf kind of name is Waka Flocka Flame? :sneaky::ROFLMAO:❌

agree that this just isn’t my jam in terms of rap styles. I like some trap, the old schoolers, I can get down with some Future, I like Rick Ross mainly bc of his voice I think (though I haven’t picked up the record). But otherwise not into it... thanks earlier to the explanation of his, and his producers influence.

also - wtf kind of name is Waka Flocka Flame? :sneaky::ROFLMAO:❌
Every time I hear the words "Waka Flocka Flame" it immediately puts the Rap God lyrics & beat into my head lol
"Walk you off a plank n what the fuck you thinking little gay looking boy, so gay I can barely say it with a straight face looking boy..." etc 😂😂😂

Back