Vinyl Me Please Rap & Hip Hop

I mean...there are countless examples of albums that are now considered classic that didn't sell well or gain popularity upon release.
No there aren't. There may be a few of those examples, but R.A.P. Music isn't one of them. You won't find it on a single list of classic hip hop albums. The word classic gets thrown around far too easily and it cheapens the actual classics of the genre.

No there aren't. There may be a few of those examples, but R.A.P. Music isn't one of them. You won't find it on a single list of classic hip hop albums. The word classic gets thrown around far too easily and it cheapens the actual classics of the genre.
So no underground albums are classics? Literal definition means tons of people miss them. Someone thinking something is a classic that you don't has literally no impact on anything you like.

I think being an arbiter of what other people subjectively think are classics is ridiculous and I'm not sure why this criticism of the term was brought up because VMP has put out hardly any classics at all by my subjective measure. Not just this year.

I think being an arbiter of what other people subjectively think are classics is ridiculous and I'm not sure why this was brought up because VMP has put out hardly any classics at all by my subjective measure.
In that case the word classic is worthless and we can just call any and everything a classic off of our whims. You're right, VMP has put out very few classics, because that word should be reserved for actual classics like the De La records for example.

"No there aren't"

You sound very sure of yourself for someone who's wrong lmfao.

I'm not even aruging the R.A.P Music debate, but that's an absolutely ridiculous statement to make with such conviction.

In that case the word classic is worthless and we can just call any and everything a classic off of our whims. You're right, VMP has put out very few classics, because that word should be reserved for actual classics like the De La records for example.
Yes I would agree that out of the context of how you regard any person's opinion, any adjective they use to describe how much they like something is worthless.

"No there aren't"

You sound very sure of yourself for someone who's wrong lmfao.

I'm not even aruging the R.A.P Music debate, but that's an absolutely ridiculous statement to make with such conviction.
So is saying this... "there are countless examples of albums that are now considered classic that didn't sell well or gain popularity upon release."

And then you go and do the exact same thing you accused me of by saying this "You sound very sure of yourself for someone who's wrong lmfao."

Pet Sounds
yes, it did not sell well or review well when released, but you'll find it hard to argue that it's been an underground slow burner that no one's been talking about. I remember people raving about it in interviews and whenever anyone had any songs with vocal harmonies. REM's "Reveal" was basically Mike Mills' trying to stuff his love of Pet Sounds into Peter Buck and Michael Stipe.

yes, it did not sell well or review well when released, but you'll find it hard to argue that it's been an underground slow burner that no one's been talking about. I remember people raving about it in interviews and whenever anyone had any songs with vocal harmonies. REM's "Reveal" was basically Mike Mills' trying to stuff his love of Pet Sounds into Peter Buck and Michael Stipe.
Yup! This was my point exactly.

I love your enthusiasm on these threads but everything can't be a classic. R.A.P. Music is not a classic, and the other 2 are, even by underground statuses, are above average offerings that are not close to being worth the VMP asking price. Even when all these albums were new they were nothing more than niche projects.
R.A.P. Music is a classic! The eruptive, violent, explosive, fiery opener “Big Beast” is a volcanic, MONSTER banger!!! It is the best workout song ever! 💥👊🔫💥

And that’s just the start of the album! The rapid fire rhymes, woozy, old school and bombastic production and the aggressive energy from Killer Mike on R.A.P. music is untouchable! R.A.P. Music is a modern classic and like others have pointed out, it’s seen as many as a classic in the hip-hop community! 💯

What are you talking about? Blackout sold 3 million copies the first year it was out. It was certified gold in the US 2 weeks after the release date.
But many fans at the time, including reviewers, had mixed opinions on the album critically. The album received very mixed reviews, and many thought Blackout was the end of Britney Spears career, just like with Kanye West and 808’s & Heartbreak. The difference is that 808’s & Heartbreak attracted a whole different audience and was seen as a masterpiece by many. Britney Spears’ Blackout on the other hand didn’t gain a new dedicated audience. Many thought the album was disappointing!

Danja’s dark and futuristic production paired with Britney Spears’ monotone, sexually unapologetic tone was viewed quite negatively but now, it’s widely considered a masterpiece of an album! Pitchfork called it a masterpiece, it recently got listed in RollingStones top 500 albums of all-time and all in all, Blackout is a naughty, kinky, club-ready album that’s sexalicious!!! 💎💊🏆🙈😈🤤

But many fans at the time, including reviewers, had mixed opinions on the album critically. The album received very mixed reviews, and many thought Blackout was the end of Britney Spears career, just like with Kanye West and 808’s & Heartbreak. The difference is that 808’s & Heartbreak attracted a whole different audience and was seen as a masterpiece by many. Britney Spears’ Blackout on the other hand didn’t gain a new dedicated audience. Many thought the album was disappointing!

Danja’s dark and futuristic production paired with Britney Spears’ monotone, sexually unapologetic tone was viewed quite negatively but now, it’s widely considered a masterpiece of an album! Pitchfork called it a masterpiece, it recently got listed in RollingStones top 500 albums of all-time and all in all, Blackout is a naughty, kinky, club-ready album that’s sexalicious!!! 💎💊🏆🙈😈🤤

There's a difference between: in the future we can look back and see just how insanely influential this record was on the next decade plus of dance music.

And: "overlooked at the time"

Blackout is much more in the first category.

I mean...there are countless examples of albums that are now considered classic that didn't sell well or gain popularity upon release.

No there aren't.
fucking abbey road was considered a bad album when it first came out.. now its considered the greatest thing the beatles ever made

pinkerton was a major failure but it sparked an entire generation of emo music

808s and heartbreak was considered a step down but now is so influential it has EARNED classic

hell as recently as carly rae jepsen e-mo-tion (most reviewers were about a 6 or 7/10) was not THAT well received when it first came out and now she is an indie darling

I dont trust Ye fans who don't like 808s.

Back