Vinyl Me Please Rap & Hip Hop

I don't know where you get that from. 808s got positive reviews everywhere. NPR gave it a good review.
ok how about another album that critics legitimately underplayed the opinion on until it turned out to be a huge classic

oasis "(whats the story) morning glory"

after people really liked definitely maybe, people were thinking whats the story wasn't as impactful and more generic and lackluster.. then it turned out to sell gangbusters and end up being possibly the best (or at least 3rd best) britpop album ever made... so much that when be here now came out all those critics gobbled it up so hard when in retrospect it turned out to be considered horrible

I don't know where you get that from. 808s got positive reviews everywhere. NPR gave it a good review.
I said 808’s & Heartbreak got positive reviews, but amongst Kanye West fans it got very mixed reviews!

fucking abbey road was considered a bad album when it first came out.. now its considered the greatest thing the beatles ever made

pinkerton was a major failure but it sparked an entire generation of emo music

808s and heartbreak was considered a step down but now is so influential it has EARNED classic

hell as recently as carly rae jepsen e-mo-tion (most reviewers were about a 6 or 7/10) was not THAT well received when it first came out and now she is an indie darling
I agree with what you’ve said here actually! I think because Killer Mike has been in the game for so long and has never released a Classic, that it was easy for R.A.P. Music to go under the radar! But R.A.P. Music probably motivated Killer Mike and El-P to create Run The Jewels!

R.A.P. Music is a classic but Killer Mike is a pretty underrated rapper unfortunately in my opinion. R.A.P Music is political and violent and was ahead of its time and it’s a hip-hop album that has aged very well!

I said 808’s & Heartbreak got positive reviews, but amongst Kanye West fans it got very mixed reviews!
yeah, critics may have said different but I remember when 808s came out, Kanye fans were real mixed about it. At first it seemed like it would be Kanyes first mistep, as opposed to a huge gamechanger

yeah, critics may have said different but I remember when 808s came out, Kanye fans were real mixed about it. At first it seemed like it would be Kanyes first mistep, as opposed to a huge gamechanger
Exactly! It wasn’t seen as a game changer at the time like Kendrick Lamar’s To Pimp A Butterfly! I remember at the time most people thought Kanye West lost his mind (potentially due to his Mother passing away)! Kanye West fans were scared that he changed and wouldn’t recover. His next album, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy proved many Kanye fans wrong however!

OMG DUKEY!!! 👀👀👀👀👀👀👀

That would be life-changing for both of us! It’ll be another record to add to our mosh pitting collection! 🤟😜😈

I really hope we get Die Lit! 🙏🙏🙏

the only issue with my die lit guess is that means that april has to be a rap debut with 8 tracks

which i CAN work if with a but of a loophole

Creepin_on_ah_come_up.jpg

yeah its an EP but its almost 30 minutes long (i can count that as considered an album)

and its TECHNICALLY a debut..... its the first album they had under the bone thugz name (they did have an album but under a different name)

BUUUT this is very unlikely.. not JUST because of the loopholes but also because it was an RSD album last year

I'd really like this choice, but Die Lit is a 2nd record with 19 tracks. It doesn't match either month.

I'd really like this choice, but Die Lit is a 2nd record with 19 tracks. It doesn't match either month.
Debut album

The self titled project is a mixtape

(You all were mentioning asap rocky and longliveasap came after live love so I consider it valid)

Debut album

The self titled project is a mixtape

(You all were mentioning asap rocky and longliveasap came after live love so I consider it valid)
Ye I don't consider it valid since the debut mixtape is on the same label as the debut record, but they like to build hints around these technicalities so 🤷

Ye I don't consider it valid since the debut mixtape is on the same label as the debut record, but they like to build hints around these technicalities so 🤷
What matters to VMP is what wikipedia says, and wikipedia says it is the debut album. I agree that the distinction between mixtape and album can be very blurred.

If live.love.asap is not an album then Playboi carti is not an album

You were all guessing long.live.a$ap when imo its his 2nd album but TECHNICALLY live.love is just a mixtape

fucking abbey road was considered a bad album when it first came out.. now its considered the greatest thing the beatles ever made

pinkerton was a major failure but it sparked an entire generation of emo music

808s and heartbreak was considered a step down but now is so influential it has EARNED classic

hell as recently as carly rae jepsen e-mo-tion (most reviewers were about a 6 or 7/10) was not THAT well received when it first came out and now she is an indie darling
I love how we go from countless to 5 or so examples over decades and multiple genres being thrown out...

Storf said on Twitter somebody correctly guessed May RHH but was then flatly dismissed by everyone else. I’m too lazy to read through the VMP Twitter replies and Reddit to narrow it down though.

I love how we go from countless to 5 or so examples over decades and multiple genres being thrown out...
All critically acclaimed, "classic," underground or non-pop music fits that description. I was referring to multiple decades and genres when I said countless. If you thought I meant countless alt rap albums in 2012, you misunderstood me. For your statement that no classics get overlooked (by the vast majority of people) to be true then all the best music would be pop, which is ridiculous in my opinion. I'm not interested in listing a sufficient number of examples to convince you this is true.

It is completely subjective of course. If you are the kind of person who doesn't think anything is great or classic unless it was in the top 10 charts, that's cool, we are very different types of music fans and there's nothing wrong with that.

Did you expect a list every occurrence? People providing examples to better illustrate their point does not preclude other multiple other examples from existing. Your argument was essentially that their is no such thing as an under appreciated classic. Retorts were provided. Genre shouldn’t matter in this discussion as examples could be found across multiple genres.

Let’s just say you are not a fan of VMP’s curation. Which is good to know, you can put your money elsewhere, procuring albums that you deem as “Classic”. Nathan’s hyperbolic statements aside, gauging from the threads replies you position is debatable.

It is completely subjective of course. If you are the kind of person who doesn't think anything is great or classic unless it was in the top 10 charts, that's cool, we are very different types of music fans and there's nothing wrong with that.
Those are your words not mine...

Those are your words not mine...
If this means that you are saying that you aren't that type of music fan, then your position on classics is very confusing and unclear as you seem to be arguing against everyone saying that underground/underappreciated classics are relatively common throughout music history.

Last edited:
Storf said on Twitter somebody correctly guessed May RHH but was then flatly dismissed by everyone else. I’m too lazy to read through the VMP Twitter replies and Reddit to narrow it down though.

Ok so I guess I'm only slightly lazy and looked around a bit. Didn't see anything on Twitter, and on Reddit someone pooh-poohed it being Edan's Primitive Plus because of a recent-ish Rough Trade exclusive. But that's really all that stood out for me.

Oh wait! Someone suggested YBN Cordae's The Lost Boys and everyone shot it down immediately by saying they misread the clues. What if the reason we haven't gotten RHH figured out is that the guesser was actually right all along and the "8, 19, 20" clue really does mean year (2008, 2019, 2020). 😵

i did mention that i guessed die lit and no one noticed so could that be called flatly dismissed?

and that could mean...

Back