Vinyl Me Please Rap & Hip Hop

See Slowthai does nothing for me. It's literally the same shit other, better artists have been putting out for years just with the "twist" that it's centered in the UK.

Meanwhile, Little Brother returned with a stark rumination on aging and touches on themes of alienation, atoning for past sins and watching the youth you inspired surpass you to become famous while you're barely making ends meet. And they manage to do it in a way that isn't corny like so much of the "grown man rap". I highly recommend more people go back to it and really dive in and spend time with the album
For me, Little Brother’s new album is the same shit over. Like I said before, It just sounds like leftovers from other rap albums that 9th Wonder, Black Milk, Royce Da 5’9” and Nicolay etc would’ve produced on. Sounds like leftovers from Elzhi’s The Preface or tracks on one of Slum Village’s more forgettable albums from the mid 2000’s.

Meanwhile, Slowthai’s Nothing Great About Britain is humorous, personal, vulnerable, confronting, beautiful sarcastic and fun! Slowthai is really militant in his message, but it’s because he’s such a proud British guy! And lyrically, the bars on this album are really clever!

I love the chaotic, punky “Doorman” and the low-key, nocturnal, on-the-look out “Crack” and the urgent yet contemplative sunbeaning “Grow Up”. Aesthetically, I feel like Slowthai nails it! The sounds are unqiue, but feel purposeful.

And how can you not love the bouncy, tender “Gorgeous” and the last track “Northampton’s Child”. The former has playful piano keys and and a gentle electronic drum beat which sounds rich. The latter has swirly strings and Slowthai gets very autobiographical. I love that he talks about being just a middle/lower class person.

I feel like Nothing Great About Britain is really refreshing. I don’t get anything much from May the Lord Watch from Little Brother however. Feels a bit outdated and unexciting even though I know the music on it isn’t bad!

For me, Little Brother’s new album is the same shit over. Like I said before, It just sounds like leftovers from other rap albums that 9th Wonder, Black Milk, Royce Da 5’9” and Nicolay etc would’ve produced on. Sounds like leftovers from Elzhi’s The Preface or tracks on one of Slum Village’s more forgettable albums from the mid 2000’s.

Since when does Royce produce? To me, May the Lord Watch sounds like an LB album through and through, but with the evolution that comes with age. The lyrics are very personal to Phonte and Pooh so I really don't agree that it sounds like anyone's leftovers. It's kinda funny, a lot of the words you used to describe NGAB are words I would use to describe MTLW, but in a different way. I listen to a LOT of 9th Wonder and The Soul Council productions. 9th is one of my biggest influences and I honestly don't think the production sounds like something that 9th would produce today. Khrysis/Phonte have their own style and I thought it worked really well for the album.

And this is coming from someone who likes NGAB by the way.

Meanwhile, Slowthai’s Nothing Great About Britain is humorous, personal, vulnerable, confronting, beautiful sarcastic and fun! Slowthai is really militant in his message, but it’s because he’s such a proud British guy! And lyrically, the bars on this album are really clever!

I love the chaotic, punky “Doorman” and the low-key, nocturnal, on-the-look out “Crack” and the urgent yet contemplative sunbeaning “Grow Up”. Aesthetically, I feel like Slowthai nails it! The sounds are unqiue, but feel purposeful.

And how can you not love the bouncy, tender “Gorgeous” and the last track “Northampton’s Child”. The former has playful piano keys and and a gentle electronic drum beat which sounds rich. The latter has swirly strings and Slowthai gets very autobiographical. I love that he talks about being just a middle/lower class person.

I feel like Nothing Great About Britain is really refreshing. I don’t get anything much from May the Lord Watch from Little Brother however. Feels a bit outdated and unexciting even though I know the music on it isn’t bad!
I love that we can agree to disagree and hopefully each of us are able to approach these albums with fresh eyes!

Since when does Royce produce? To me, May the Lord Watch sounds like an LB album through and through, but with the evolution that comes with age. The lyrics are very personal to Phonte and Pooh so I really don't agree that it sounds like anyone's leftovers. It's kinda funny, a lot of the words you used to describe NGAB are words I would use to describe MTLW, but in a different way. I listen to a LOT of 9th Wonder and The Soul Council productions. 9th is one of my biggest influences and I honestly don't think the production sounds like something that 9th would produce today. Khrysis/Phonte have their own style and I thought it worked really well for the album.

And this is coming from someone who likes NGAB by the way.
Totally my bad! I thought he might have produced a lot of his own music, but he doesn’t!

I really like Little Brother’s first two albums - “The Listening” and “The Minstrel Show”. I love the soulful, fat, uplifting, kinda reassuring production by 9th wonder and the fun chemistry between the rappers. It all felt like it went naturally together so well! And the skits on those albums were the best! The commercials, the call-ins, the shoutouts, like the radio skits were amazing and added so much!

I’ve got both those albums on vinyl and I love those albums a lot, I really do. And I see how Little Brother’s latest album is still staying true to their aesthetic/sound. But it doesn’t have that same spark as their first two albums! It doesn’t have that humour, those soulful and mellow samples, and that fun, natural chemistry in my opinion.

I kinda feel the same way about The Foreign Exchange. “Connected” (their debut album) is obviously their best effort but I thought their second album, “Leave It All Behind” was also great. It had that cloudy, mellow electronic, frosty neo-soul sound that was fresh and unique. I felt like everything The Foriegn Exchange did after that album sounded bland, cheap and not innovative.

I wonder if its all 17 tracks that the spotify embed is showing on the VMP store page for it..
Or just 11 tracks.

The full album is like 1hr long but the 11 tracks is only 30 mins.

so it might be 2 big if its just 1xLP

I wonder if its all 17 tracks that the spotify embed is showing on the VMP store page for it..
Or just 11 tracks.

The full album is like 1hr long but the 11 tracks is only 30 mins.

so it might be 2 big if its just 1xLP
Also wondering if it’s the full album. Couldn’t tell from trying to poke around the site. If anyone finds any definitive info, please post it here.

No bonus tracks by the looks of it, which is kinda disappointing for a “deluxe” vinyl. In what world does being a US-first press make a vinyl “deluxe”?!

View attachment 20589

I think the deluxe is reflecting where it got pressed.

But yeah a lil bit of a bummer.

But I am digging the variety. Female doggystyle and now some crazy UK shit. I wonder whats next.

Back