Vinyl Me Please Rap & Hip Hop

Possible dumb question but how much popping and static should I be hearing with Bandana? Like, is that intentional from old sampled beats from Madlib or is my copy completely borked?

Edit: meant to put this in the store thread, but I guess it works here, too.
I don't know with that specific album but Madlibs stuff is usually quite poppy due to old samples. I'd just check it against the Spotify version.

I just got my VMP box today which I was super stoked about because it's a big one (6 records) and when I unwrapped it, I immediately noticed that every single cover was bent pretty badly in the top right corner. Sent an email to support but I am not holding my breath seeing as most of these are now sold out. (Ready to Die, Pinata/Bandana Bundle)

IMG_3925.JPG

Possible dumb question but how much popping and static should I be hearing with Bandana? Like, is that intentional from old sampled beats from Madlib or is my copy completely borked?

Edit: meant to put this in the store thread, but I guess it works here, too.

I was actually streaming this album the other day and had the thought that as great as the album is, I wouldn’t even want it on vinyl because there are so many dusty samples which would just drive me crazy. When it comes to vinyl, all of that popping and static is exactly what I’m trying to avoid, at all costs. Aren’t we all?
Its a shame though because i do like the music enough to want a physical copy.

I was actually streaming this album the other day and had the thought that as great as the album is, I wouldn’t even want it on vinyl because there are so many dusty samples which would just drive me crazy. When it comes to vinyl, all of that popping and static is exactly what I’m trying to avoid, at all costs. Aren’t we all?
Its a shame though because i do like the music enough to want a physical copy.

Eh, I have enough old scratchy records in my collection it doesn't bother me too much if it's meant to be there on a new release. But after hearing static and pops on my copies of Joel Ross and Yusef Lateef that also came with my MadGibbs box, I was perhaps a little too sensitive to what I was hearing from Bandana.

Eh, I have enough old scratchy records in my collection it doesn't bother me too much if it's meant to be there on a new release. But after hearing static and pops on my copies of Joel Ross and Yusef Lateef that also came with my MadGibbs box, I was perhaps a little too sensitive to what I was hearing from Bandana.
Haha yeah well, to each their own, and I think this sort of thing will be on a scale of sounding acceptable to horrific depending on your system. Funny story along these lines, I went to this high end audio shop that was advertising free record cleanings with an okki nokki with a buddy, so we both brought a few of our favorite records to be cleaned. We get them home and throw on a few of them and can’t believe how great they sound after the cleaning! A few older records and a few newer. The older records sounded so much better it was blowing our minds. I throw on To Pimp a Butterfly, which is an album I’ve listened to so many times, and we are looking at each other thinking, what the hell is wrong with this record? It sounded like garbage. Did the okki nokki ruin it? Cracks, pops, static everywhere. Many beverages in, and possibly not thinking our clearest, but eventually we throw on the stream and discover....all of the noise was part of the recording. They did this on purpose!!! And with that record it’s not dusty samples, they intentionally put all of that noise overtop afterwards. I couldn’t believe that anyone would do such a thing. Somehow I never noticed the noise on the streaming version, or it seemed right at home with the music. On the record however, it sounded awful. Maybe it was the brews, maybe it was just my buddies system, but I haven’t spun that record since. Still love the album though. Lol

Last edited:
Its just something you shouldn't focus on. Like when you listen to a song you like and notice the sibilance and it becomes annoying to listen to.
Easier said than done. Listening as background music is one thing but active listening with a hi-fi system makes it impossible to just ignore part of the sound, for me anyway.

Easier said than done. Listening as background music is one thing but active listening with a hi-fi system makes it impossible to just ignore part of the sound, for me anyway.

upgrading from a cheap used Technics table plugged into a home theater sytem years ago was the best/worst decision I ever made. at once I learned how great and how awful my records sounded

Really wish we were getting Cordae or Little Brother instead. Both are in dire need of a pressing
But I’m more happy that we are getting Slowthai as the ROTM because I think that deserves the spotlight more. It’s definitely one of the best hip-hop albums of 2019 in my opinion.

And in my opinion, Nothing Great About Britain feels like a Rap & Hip-Hop ROTM. YBN Cordae would also be a great Rap & Hip-Hop ROTM. But, I think Little Brother’s latest album would be a poor choice. It doesn’t deserve it at all. It should just be a store exclusive like Common, limited to 300 or 500 copies.

I’m really excited to see what the Slowthai ROTM looks like! And I’m also hoping that we get a deluxe edition pressing! What would make the exclusive extra special! 🤞

I just got my VMP box today which I was super stoked about because it's a big one (6 records) and when I unwrapped it, I immediately noticed that every single cover was bent pretty badly in the top right corner. Sent an email to support but I am not holding my breath seeing as most of these are now sold out. (Ready to Die, Pinata/Bandana Bundle)

View attachment 20023
This is what Im dreading for my box. I have 12 in mine, alot of which are also sold out and my whole box is still pending shipping due to the classics album. If any are bent/damaged, Ill be pretty pissed.
Good luck

For what it’s worth, Storf did a Stock Check thread on Reddit earlier and someone asked if Slowthai would sell out this month. His response was “Yes.”
I have a feeling it won’t sell out! The only reason it would sell out is because this VMP pressing is the deluxe edition of Nothing Great About Britain.

If it’s just another colour variant, I doubt it will sell out! It will be just like Denzel Curry and will stay in store for a while!

Back