Vinyl Me Please Essentials

No, different master. Run outs are totally different. No idea why but... reasons....

Well it's amazing to me that VMP had nothing to do with the manufacturing process and they still ended up fucking it up.

😆

Edit: I mean seriously, it was manufactured by the artists own pressing plant and it can't be perfect?

Well it's amazing to me that VMP had nothing to do with the manufacturing process and they still ended up fucking it up.

😆

Edit: I mean seriously, it was manufactured by the artists own pressing plant and it can't be perfect?
Well, like I mentioned before for all of VMPs faults they usually get the mastering right. There's only been two instances I've come across where their mastered version sounds markedly worse than the wide release pressing, this one and Buckley "Grace".

This is a staggering achievement!!

I am by no means a Robert Pollard completist... It does bother me that I am missing four solo albums, but I am expecting those to be reissued at some point based on past trajectory.

And while I would love to own some Boston Spaceships, I also anticipate those will be re-released at some point.

I don't care if I ever own every single Circus Devil's album (I have two), but there are two or three that would make me happy to have.

But I am kicking myself that I missed out on The Keene Brothers and Mars Classroom, two of the best one-off projects he ever did. The quality of those songs rivals any other of his finest works. I hope someday to have those in my hands and on my turntable.

Well, like I mentioned before for all of VMPs faults they usually get the mastering right. There's only been two instances I've come across where their mastered version sounds markedly worse than the wide release pressing, this one and Buckley "Grace".

Did you compare the 2? Both are pretty lofi. You might like the old master - it seems to sound "fuller" in the mids. It's also cut hotter. The new master seems to have cleaner highs though. It boils down to preference IMO (and probably those with experience with the older master being used to the sound of that one). I think I'm keeping both though.

Did you compare the 2? Both are pretty lofi. You might like the old master - it seems to sound "fuller" in the mids. It's also cut hotter. The new master seems to have cleaner highs though. It boils down to preference IMO (and probably those with experience with the older master being used to the sound of that one). I think I'm keeping both though.
I haven't yet actually so yes I'm speaking a little out of turn here.

I haven't yet actually so yes I'm speaking a little out of turn here.

I mean I totally understand why some might have a marked preference for the older master, but the newer version is not comparatively bad to my ear, just a little different.

This is not like that Funkadelic "Finest" reissue from earlier this year. It sounded fine on its own at first. But the moment I played my original beat up copies of "Magot Brain", "Standing On the Verge" and "One Nation Under A Groove" - the reissue sounded so tinny it was ridiculous.

This is not like that Funkadelic "Finest" reissue from earlier this year. It sounded fine on its own at first. But the moment I played my original beat up copies of "Magot Brain", "Standing On the Verge" and "One Nation Under A Groove" - the reissue sounded so tinny it was ridiculous.

That sounds very similar to my experience with the VMP De Stijl and the 2010, to be honest.

Last edited:
Get to guessing but Hole, Nirvana, and someone that sounds like Kurt Cobain seems like front runners.

Or Bush, Gwen Stefani, and whomever Gwen Stefani is compared to.

edit: I misread the clues and mixed them up. As you were.

I didn’t see a Hole release in 96 or 02 via discogs that jumped out other than bootlegs, but a live Nirvana was released in 96. I’ve used the quarantine to read Patty Schemel and Mark Lanegan’s books among others about the Seattle scene and id love something from that era. Screaming Trees would be a worthy candidate although MOV did their ‘96 album Dust already. Josh Homme toured with them at that time and VMP already did QOTSA so....

I didn’t see a Hole release in 96 or 02 via discogs that jumped out other than bootlegs, but a live Nirvana was released in 96. I’ve used the quarantine to read Patty Schemel and Mark Lanegan’s books among others about the Seattle scene and id love something from that era. Screaming Trees would be a worthy candidate although MOV did their ‘96 album Dust already. Josh Homme toured with them at that time and VMP already did QOTSA so....

The years are for RHH, not Essentials.

think about it...
"FEATURES"

not is BY... that means it can be stankonia but by someone who is featuring on the album like gangsta boo or killer mike or sleepy brown

Back