Vinyl Me Please Essentials

Attempting to talk music with non-music obsessives is exasperating. The moment when the others persons eyes begin to glaze over and they looking to escape the conversation always breaks my heart a little bit.
My wife refers to it as the moment when I start talking a "foreign language" and she's just.."I'm out."

Attempting to talk music with non-music obsessives is exasperating. The moment when the others persons eyes begin to glaze over and they looking to escape the conversation always breaks my heart a little bit.
Haha. I‘ve been there so many times. I’ve learned to just not do it.

A while back, I became known as indie music guy at my job, and I had all of these backhanded comments about my taste in music. One night, I changed at work and was headed straight to a show, and this guy’s like “So who’re you seeing tonight?” And I thought, ‘finally a softball.’ “Arcade Fire” was met with a completely blank stare followed by “Matt, you listen to the most obscure shit.” And I lost it on the guy “Dude, they played f’ing SNL last week, and the show is at Radio City Music Hall?!?! You ever heard of that?!?”

On the flipside was a quiet hipstery kid who was a bit younger than me and didn’t associate with any of the other guys in the office. One morning he caught me in the elevator and said “I could’ve sworn I saw you at a show last night, but it must have been a look alike.” (In retrospect, that’s kind of insulting). “You were at the Sunset Rubdown show too?” We became pretty good pals after that.

My wife refers to it as the moment when I start talking a "foreign language" and she's just.."I'm out."
I was trying to explain to my fiancé why I was so excited about the Analogue Productions jazz reissue series and I lost her when I said “They’ll be competing with Tone Poets in price point and sound quality” she said “wtf is a Tone Poet?” which led me on another tangent, I’m still not sure she understands why I’m so excited.

Either that or when the other person wants to talk at length about a chart star, let’s say Robbie Williams or The Killers or here in Ireland I get Kodaline a lot, that you don’t like so much and you try to be polite whilst frantically looking for the conversation exit point.

BUT YOU LIKE BONO RIGHT!? RIGHT!?

People used to think I made up band names...
Not here.
This is what's great about this forum.
I'm home.

That said, an "Occasional Takeaway Grease" show in the UK was being discussed the other day. I had to look that up because I was confused as hell since the conversation was about burgers.

It was made-up. I think.

I think I’m going to need to get a few of you on here a copy of their second album A Norhern Soul, I think it’s better than their third, Urban Hymns, and damn History is a monolith of a tune.

Their best album is the one with She's A Superstar in. What are the next WAotM?

Back