Vinyl Me Please Essentials

Skipped over the last 15 pages, but just dropping by to say that I think the Buena Vista and Spiritualized are pretty great Essentials picks. I'd be fine with Mayer typically, but since I've dropped to one track while in limbo employment-wise, I swapped for Sahara and will pick him up down the road. I already have Buena Vista, so not entirely sure if I want a new fancy edition or will end up swapping that as well...

Spiritualized was one of those bands always on my radar but I never checked out. Listened last night; really beautiful album. Don't think I'd listen to it on vinyl but I hope you all get the great sounding records you deserve. Mwah.

Curious, though, where did the term "space rock" come from? The album was not much like what I imagined based on that description.
I think it has to do more with the title track. IMO it’s like the soundtrack of flying on some sort of Kubrickian comericial space flight and everything is like mid-century modern and white and antiseptic and you are slowly just floating weightless. Most of the rest of the (and future) album is affected druggy gospel rock.

Well I just listened to BVSC and Spiritualized. Here are my thoughts.

BVSC is an instant cop for me. As a spanish person, I am ashamed that i had not given this a prior listen. The music on here is amazing. I love this style of music and it is something i would want in my collection.

Spiritualized on the other hand is not something that i am that into. I honestly can't put my finger on it but it just doesn't hit me at all. I might need to give it a few more listens to decide.
Make sure to check out other artists on that BVSC scene. I mentioned in another post Ruben Gonzalez...Introducing is Sticky Pudding Fantastic!

Spiritualized was one of those bands always on my radar but I never checked out. Listened last night; really beautiful album. Don't think I'd listen to it on vinyl but I hope you all get the great sounding records you deserve. Mwah.

Curious, though, where did the term "space rock" come from? The album was not much like what I imagined based on that description.

I really don’t know but I assumed it had something to do with drone-y sound that reverberates through most of their songs. The songs don’t sound tightly produced with clearly defined edges, and many of them are quite repetitive, so it has a kind of zero gravity-ish feel compared to other kinds of rock.

But it might also have something to do with the fact that his previous band was called SPACEMEN 3, and this album is called Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating In SPACE. He also is wearing a spacesuit on the cover of his most recent album.

It’s really great music for long road trips in wide open places. When my friends and I went to Iceland a few years ago, we quickly burnt through our desire to listen to Sigur Ros and Bjork and ended up listening to a lot of Spiritualized (with some breaks for Prince and the Hamilton soundtrack lol).

Im really not trying to be snarky with this comment.
But I read this post and smiled. This comment in so many ways epitomizes this forum.

Haha! I was more trying to make a point about how good The Verve actually were-- especially Nick McCabe's guitar playing which I think takes a backseat on UH, at least on the hits.

Did you try acid at a bucks game when they were bad or recently when they’ve been good...might change the experience :)
It was the more recent('18-'19) good Bucks. So a much louder and more crowded arena. The game was definitely not part of my plans for that night, but a friend called me up to go, and couldnt say no even though it was already too late...I felt like I was just drowning in my seat in a pool of sweat even though I was actually just fine.

Out of the 17 games I went to that season, that was one of only 2 games they lost! To the fucking last place Sun's.

It was the more recent('18-'19) good Bucks. So a much louder and more crowded arena. The game was definitely not part of my plans for that night, but a friend called me up to go, and couldnt say no even though it was already too late...I felt like I was just drowning in my seat in a pool of sweat even though I was actually just fine.

Out of the 17 games I went to that season, that was one of only 2 games they lost! To the fucking last place Sun's.
In High School I worked a full shift at Subway tripping with my other buddies who were also fellow Sandwich Artists. It was a complete shit show but incredibly fun. We were laughing so hard we were crying while making Cold Cut Combos and the like. Several customer had to check on us to make sure we were all right. Which only made us laugh more.

Haha! I was more trying to make a point about how good The Verve actually were-- especially Nick McCabe's guitar playing which I think takes a backseat on UH, at least on the hits.
Yeah cool just made me chuckle.
I just regularly notice not just on here (friends and other music fans/ collectors in general) certainly not directed at anyone in particular. But it’s just not cool to like the mainstream popular artists/ releases.

Yeah cool just made me chuckle.
I just regularly notice not just on here (friends and other music fans/ collectors in general) certainly not directed at anyone in particular. But it’s just not cool to like the mainstream popular artists/ releases.

I put it down to years of the following conversation:

Person: So What Do You Like?
Joe: Oh I love music, I go to gigs and collect CDs/Vinyl.
Person: Oh do you like (insert chart star of the day) I think they’re great and interesting and blah blah
Joe: Sorry I’m not so much into that, not really my thing.
Person: So what do you like?
Joe: Insert a relatively famous act because I’m not a pretentious kinda guy that wants to confuse them.
Person: Never heard of them.

I put it down to years of the following conversation:

Person: So What Do You Like?
Joe: Oh I love music, I go to gigs and collect CDs/Vinyl.
Person: Oh do you like (insert chart star of the day) I think they’re great and interesting and blah blah
Joe: Sorry I’m not so much into that, not really my thing.
Person: So what do you like?
Joe: Insert a relatively famous act because I’m not a pretentious kinda guy that wants to confuse them.
Person: Never heard of them.
Attempting to talk music with non-music obsessives is exasperating. The moment when the others persons eyes begin to glaze over and they looking to escape the conversation always breaks my heart a little bit.

Attempting to talk music with non-music obsessives is exasperating. The moment when the others persons eyes begin to glaze over and they looking to escape the conversation always breaks my heart a little bit.

Either that or when the other person wants to talk at length about a chart star, let’s say Robbie Williams or The Killers or here in Ireland I get Kodaline a lot, that you don’t like so much and you try to be polite whilst frantically looking for the conversation exit point.

Yeah I come here mostly because I don't have friends who take in music like me. I think of bands like Wilco or something as such huge names, but no one I know even knows who the hell they are. I doubt any one of my good friends know any Radiohead songs except for Creep or Karma Police.

Back