Vinyl Me Please Essentials

When Spiritualized toured Ladies and Gentleman a few years back Jason Spaceman must have taken every strobe light he could find with him. Was a mental gig. I'm amazed half the choir wasn't fitting out. Completely brilliant but strobey as the bollocks. He was turning opera houses up and down the country into pseudo ibiza fuck palaces.

Last edited:
For whatever weird reason I've never heard of Spiritualized before. 😌🤫 I'm just streaming the album now and I can confirm it's really very good! What extraordinary music! I love how many different elements can be found in it, it's really impressive.🎉

Glad they've chosen such a record as September RotM and I'm looking forward to get that in high quality on vinyl. 👌

For whatever weird reason I've never heard of Spiritualized before. 😌🤫 I'm just streaming the album now and I can confirm it's really very good! What extraordinary music! I love how many different elements can be found in it, it's really impressive.🎉

Glad they've chosen such a record as September RotM and I'm looking forward to get that in high quality on vinyl. 👌

Check out Royal Albert Hall gig too. One of my all time fave live albums.

@Joe Mac you gonna return - I’m tempted for months after Meyer. Will likely grab them - a quick dip in and out, but a 3for 2 would be nice.
But if they get a wider distribution (not impossible given early notification of releases could be a reason for the drop) Then I would have to think twice - Have a feeling the VMP packages could be really nice tho.

@Joe Mac you gonna return - I’m tempted for months after Meyer. Will likely grab them - a quick dip in and out, but a 3for 2 would be nice.
But if they get a wider distribution (not impossible given early notification of releases could be a reason for the drop) Then I would have to think twice - Have a feeling the VMP packages could be really nice tho.

I’m considering the exhorbitant 1 month int just for spiritualized. As little exposure as possible. I’ll decide when the full pressing details of it are announced.

What do you mean by this exactly? Like when your acid trip finishes, it’s hard to go to sleep because you will likely have nightmares?

Also, that’s a very interesting comparison between mushrooms and acid, that with mushrooms you feel more attached to the world, whereas with acid you feel unattached to the world! It’s just so fascinating!
Tripping is just as much internal as it is external. When I saw Radiohead at Bonnaroo I took mushrooms and didn’t even watch the show with my eyes. I just laid there in the field and closed my eyes. Had the music be the soundtrack for what my mind was creating internally. As much as I can try to explain a trip, it’s just impossible.

When you shut down your eyes it gives your mind more of a chance to create visuals. That’s what I mean by it’s hard to go to sleep.

Last edited:
Oasis suuuuuuuuucks

Except from 1994-1996, when they were one of the best rock bands ever.

I’m considering the exhorbitant 1 month int just for spiritualized. As little exposure as possible. I’ll decide when the full pressing details of it are announced.

I’m considering the same for the BVSC month. That’s a lovely album.

This is my rationale, I had the Album on CD back in the day and would like it on wax but usually there is something I want more and thus I never end up buying this. I would probably prefer the Audiophile copy more but it being the ROTM will force the issue. Either I will finally pull the trigger on the audiophile pressing or I will just get the VMP version which would likely be pretty good too.
If VMP makes it so you get this album in your collection, that's a good thing. It is an amazing album
I guess my point is that it seems incredibly likely that both versions will be the same with the exception of the coloured wax.
Both are done by the same mastering engineer and done by high quality pressing plants.
My understanding of essentials is to highlight essential albums and press them so they are more accessible and in a cool colour.
With this album being everywhere and cheap, it seems like an odd choice. The colour is okay (that's a personal preference thing) but not amazing.
Either way, I am keeping tabs on VMP in case I want to subscribe again... at this point, it's hard to justify it.

Spiritualized was one of those bands always on my radar but I never checked out. Listened last night; really beautiful album. Don't think I'd listen to it on vinyl but I hope you all get the great sounding records you deserve. Mwah.

Curious, though, where did the term "space rock" come from? The album was not much like what I imagined based on that description.

Spiritualized was one of those bands always on my radar but I never checked out. Listened last night; really beautiful album. Don't think I'd listen to it on vinyl but I hope you all get the great sounding records you deserve. Mwah.

Curious, though, where did the term "space rock" come from? The album was not much like what I imagined based on that description.
I am so used to listening to the album on cd and digitally, it will be weird to have to flip it several times to hear the whole thing.

I hate the term Space Rock as I see them in antithesis to each other. If I think something is spacey, in my mind it generally does not rock (though may have a steady, propulsive motortik beat). Not sure where is started but I think it was coined for bands like Hawkwind who did not fit the prog mould completely, but has grown over the years to take in psychedelia and even shoegaze and post-rock. I prefer the term Kosmische Musik (cosmic music) which generally refers to German bands like Neu, Amon Duul II and Can.

Back