Vinyl Me Please Essentials

Curious of what you think of it as a first time listener. TBH I’m shocked that they made this an Essentials track. Compared with other essentials selections, I can’t imagine going in blind and hearing Part IV of the Other One suite. I’m a big fan of Side 2, but Side 1 is certainly a trip for most people unfamiliar with early Dead.

It does sound great though. They continue to nail the Dead releases.

I'd describe it as fine. I was working with it on in the background and noticed some stuff I'd heard from a live recording and some stuff I hadn't. I thought the vocals were hard to hear at times but it does all sound good. No complaints

Random question for the Deadheads out there... I know folks call them The Dead on the regular, but is it incorrect to say The Grateful Dead? Like, they're official title is actually just Grateful Dead sans the The, right?
They aren’t big on titles. I’ve seen the “The” is present on a few releases but not on most others. I think officially it’s “Grateful Dead” but nobody gets too worked up about it.

FWIW, I sometimes reference Pixies as “The Pixies” and Misfits as “The Misfits” but I have never called Phish “The Phish” before though.

They aren’t big on titles. I’ve seen the “The” is present on a few releases but not on most others. I think officially it’s “Grateful Dead” but nobody gets too worked up about it.

FWIW, I sometimes reference Pixies as “The Pixies” and Misfits as “The Misfits” but I have never called Phish “The Phish” before though.
Yeah, I didn't think it was a big deal one way or the other. Was mostly just curious if there was an official-ish read on the matter and realized I don't really have a legit Deadhead friend to ask at the moment. Thanks!

You can call them the Grateful Dead but they aren't The Grateful Dead.
Discogs have them listed under “The Grateful Dead” while Wikipedia and their own website lists them as “Grateful Dead”. Wake of The Flood, Europe ‘77, Anthem, Aoxomoxoa, and their self-title debut all have “The Grateful Dead” on the spines but American Beauty, Workingman’s, Mars Hotel, Blues For Allah, and In The Dark have “Grateful Dead” on their spines.

I don’t think the band worries too much about “the” we probably shouldn’t either.

Random question for the Deadheads out there... I know folks call them The Dead on the regular, but is it incorrect to say The Grateful Dead? Like, they're official title is actually just Grateful Dead sans the The, right?
I just call them "Dead" most of the time.

E.g., "Where's that Dead album?"

"Hey wanna listen to some Dead?"

Not sure where else to put this, but what outer sleeves do people here use for thicker jackets? My sleeves won’t fit the thicker ones like Dylan, Alan Jackson, Springsteen, Etc.
Vinyl Storage Solutions 13 inch.

Vinyl Storage Solutions 13 inch.
Much appreciated! I use the Vinyl Styl sleeves, and they sometimes fit, but haven’t had much success recently.

Much appreciated! I use the Vinyl Styl sleeves, and they sometimes fit, but haven’t had much success recently.
Yeah these 13s fit almost everything. I think they may have oversized 12s as well and they also have One Step and UHQR sleeves which is great. The UHQR sleeves actually allow the box to open still so the spine is not inside the sleeve. Works great.

Back