Vinyl Me Please Essentials

I order lots of records from many different sources and VMP is the only one where it’s basically 50/50 on whether my out jacket is gonna arrive unscathed. I have better luck with Walmart and Amazon which goes to show ya VMP isn’t doing something right.
See it's really interesting because for all of my warp issues I almost never have any jacket damage. And mine go across the border. I think some of this must be down to certain local branches that are just brutal on packages.

See it's really interesting because for all of my warp issues I almost never have any jacket damage. And mine go across the border. I think some of this must be down to certain local branches that are just brutal on packages.
I think there's less stuff overall that's going international so the things that do go, generally have a less bumpy ride. it's not getting thrown in with the junk mail for everyone in the state/county/zip code

I would agree if I was consistently getting damaged jackets but my odds are much better when ordered from other entities.

I remember reading a Reddit post awhile back by someone who worked for USPS and basically anything shipped Media Mail is the last thing touched at any part of the process. So you have Media Mail packages sitting around longer in often extreme temps in warehouses/shipping containers, getting manhandled when they do get processed because it often happens at the end of a day/shift when they've just processed everything else more important. They basically treat it one step up from junk mail because it's so cheap to ship and doesn't have a time constraint.

Not to say that other shipping means don't also treat packages like trash, but Media Mail is designed to get treated just a hair better than junk mail and VMP and other places are shipping $50 records using it just to pinch a penny.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat here. Over 4+ years with VMP I may have gotten 2-3 damaged jackets. In general I don't even get hit with warps much anymore. Requests almost exclusively come from defective pressings for me, which has been less and less late thankfully.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat here. Over 4+ years with VMP I may have gotten 2-3 damaged jackets. In general I don't even get hit with warps much anymore. Requests almost exclusively come from defective pressings for me, which has been less and less late thankfully.
Ditto here. I rarely get damaged jackets - I think it’s been a year since I had a seam split. Warps aren’t super common.

My worst seems to be from big labels directly or from really thin mailers that places like Zia/BM use for single records.

Same here, almost never jacket damage. Now warps, off centre and repetitive clicking iiiiiiiiiiiiiii’d guess that applies to 80% of the records I receive from them.

Same here, almost never jacket damage. Now warps, off centre and repetitive clicking iiiiiiiiiiiiiii’d guess that applies to 80% of the records I receive from them.
I will say however that some of the chronic issues seem to have gotten a little better. The last few things that I got that had no fill all over them, the second copy was completely clean. Unlike for the past few years where every single copy has the same pressing issue.

I will say however that some of the chronic issues seem to have gotten a little better. The last few things that I got that had no fill all over them, the second copy was completely clean. Unlike for the past few years where every single copy has the same pressing issue.
Wellllllll I hope my luck starts to go that way soon. I’ve had quite a few that I’ve had to give up on entirely without ever getting a good copy, lately. Fewer pressing wide issues on ROTM’s maybe but the store exclusive pressings seem as much of a crapshoot as ever for me.

Spinning Anthem. First time ever hearing it. Are the vocals on the quieter side the norm?
Curious of what you think of it as a first time listener. TBH I’m shocked that they made this an Essentials track. Compared with other essentials selections, I can’t imagine going in blind and hearing Part IV of the Other One suite. I’m a big fan of Side 2, but Side 1 is certainly a trip for most people unfamiliar with early Dead.

It does sound great though. They continue to nail the Dead releases.

Back