Vinyl Me Please Essentials

I always have to laugh at myself when these quarterly announcements come out and my immediate reaction is "WHAT the HELL is this shit. I've never heard of ANY of these, this SUCKS, everything SUCKS."
And then I remember that I joined a record of the month club to, you know, discover new artists that I may not have heard of and I begrudgingly agree to listen through the 12 albums and usually I like a bunch of them and I think to myself "Hey DumDum, look at you, getting all cultured and shit."
And then I laugh, and then everyone else laughs because I'm laughing. Then I cry a bit but that's a story for a different time.

Anyhow I hate all these albums and everything sucks.

What was the question?

(I'm kidding I like a few of them)
Case and point I just went though every single swaps album and listened to a selection of all of them and that Leslie Winer comp is cool AF. Absolutely never heard of her, crazy story. Ex 80's supermodel who used to hang out with Basquiat and William S Burroughs, was JP Gauthier's muse and created a trip hop album in the late 80s called "Witch" that John Peel used to play early promo copies on his radio show. Sounds like early Tricky or a bit Reznor. And this was the 2 covers of the album (one which is the artist herself). Cool AF I'm getting this.
1000003002.jpg
1000003001.jpg

Case and point I just went though every single swaps album and listened to a selection of all of them and that Leslie Winer comp is cool AF. Absolutely never heard of her, crazy story. Ex 80's supermodel who used to hang out with Basquiat and William S Burroughs, was JP Gauthier's muse and created a trip hop album in the late 80s called "Witch" that John Peel used to play early promo copies on his radio show. Sounds like early Tricky or a bit Reznor. And this was the 2 covers of the album (one which is the artist herself). Cool AF I'm getting this.
View attachment 161307
View attachment 161308

I'll check out "witch", I streamed "when I hit you" and was not feeling it

Air still shown as 2LP in their magazine. Sigh.

View attachment 161307
View attachment 161308

Yeah this stuff is really great. Swapped before the fiends jump on it and make it go OOP.

That Anthem Of the Sun will be in store forever.

Anthem of the Sun has never been my favorite Dead album but this release of it is pretty good overall. I haven't had a lot of the GZ problems some have in the past and that holds true here. The 68 mix doesn't sound as radical and crazy as it probably did back then, which I think is a solid testament to technological advancements and just how weird some psych stuff gets today. My biggest takeaway is how clear the vocals are. I don't recall that from other copies I've heard.

Overall, i wouldn't have made this an Essentials and they probably would have sold way more copies of In the Dark but it's a nice package. Always fun to read Dave Lemieux gush on anything, so the notes are a nice touch.

Anthem of the Sun has never been my favorite Dead album but this release of it is pretty good overall. I haven't had a lot of the GZ problems some have in the past and that holds true here. The 68 mix doesn't sound as radical and crazy as it probably did back then, which I think is a solid testament to technological advancements and just how weird some psych stuff gets today. My biggest takeaway is how clear the vocals are. I don't recall that from other copies I've heard.

Overall, i wouldn't have made this an Essentials and they probably would have sold way more copies of In the Dark but it's a nice package. Always fun to read Dave Lemieux gush on anything, so the notes are a nice touch.
Listening to mine now for the second time. What a wild mix. “That’s it…” (track 1) is all over the place.

Back