Vinyl Me Please Essentials

So either my system is not picking it up (fluance rt-85 with the regular ortofon 2m blue) or I've continued my luck streak because I don't have any crackling on the beginning of the A-side right now. I do have a giant fucking warp though so I'll have to ask for a replacement regardless.

Finally spinning Wu Tang. The album general has a pretty rough recording, but the regular blips on side A still cut right through it. B hasn’t been as bad yet. At this rate I probably won’t return it, but this does reaffirm my current stance on VMP.
Follow up: the second LP was better overall. Side A probably could warrant a replacement, but I don’t think I want to deal with the process. Night listen to Grizzly Bear later today and then I’ll only have one more backed up VMP album, lol

Looks like i'll be getting replacement 36 Chambers tomorrow. Probably no difference from the first copy.

VROR.gif

Some dude on reddit is kicking himself because he spent $500 on a copy of Usher. I don't even know what to say, that's ludicrous.

Buddy of mine spent like $200 on a copy of Watch the Throne and I thought that was a bit nuts.
If you spent $500 on an Usher record I'm pretty sure you've got a whole slew of other dubious and potentially much worse decisions in your life to feel bad about.

Well, received my second copy of Wu. It has almost no surface noise, but wonderful distortion on the right channel.
First try:

Second (hard to record distortion but you get the idea):

This sucks, I just want a good sounding record without having to try over and over again. I know I am beating a dead horse but the right channel distortion thing is new to me.

More like Ludacris. Yeah!

So what's the most you have and/or would be willing to spend on a record (let's say non-boxset)?
For a single album, non boxed set about a hundo max unless it's like white whale territory. Maybe a bit more. Got the VMP ready to die for about 90 which is about as much as I was comfortable to spend. I do have a bunch of albums people would likely be WILLING to spend hundreds on, but doesn't mean I paid that much.

More like Ludacris. Yeah!

So what's the most you have and/or would be willing to spend on a record (let's say non-boxset)?

I topped out at $100 + shipping for one of the wife's white whales last year when I was making better money.
For myself, I'm pretty sure the ceiling's been about $80 after shipping and exchange.

For a single album, non boxed set about a hundo max unless it's like white whale territory. Maybe a bit more. Got the VMP ready to die for about 90 which is about as much as I was comfortable to spend. I do have a bunch of albums people would likely be WILLING to spend hundreds on, but doesn't mean I paid that much.

I topped out at $100 + shipping for one of the wife's white whales last year when I was making better money.
For myself, I'm pretty sure the ceiling's been about $80 after shipping and exchange.

That's about my limit too, taxes & shipping included. Looking back, most I've spent was $130 in 2007. Until the last couple of years, that was by far the most expensive. I've bought 4 other records over $100 all within the last couple of years where I've had extra spending money during the pandemic. I kinda regret 2 of those. I can't imagine spending $500!

I don't even think I'd play a $500 album. I'd just encase it in glass like it was a museum exhibit and cry watching it's value drop over the years. Also, it's fucking Usher! That dude treated it like some rare Beatles pressing or some shit.
...i can't even justify $500 on copies of original non-repressed Sun Ra records that had print runs in the low hundreds, or less.
That's about my limit too, taxes & shipping included. Looking back, most I've spent was $130 in 2007. Until the last couple of years, that was by far the most expensive. I've bought 4 other records over $100 all within the last couple of years where I've had extra spending money during the pandemic. I kinda regret 2 of those. I can't imagine spending $500!

Years before the recent reissue, I stumbled across a promotional use copy of Wildflowers.
I negotiated the store owner down to $395 before leaving the store and pulled the trigger.
Because it’s a desert island disc for me and because of how good it sounds- I probably spin it more than any other album in the collection.

It’s the only album I paid three-figures for.
But there’s probably 1 or 2 more I’d splurge on under similar circumstances.

Back