Vinyl Me Please Essentials

Sturgill for May, likely Merle for June(?).

Merle is a pretty solid safe bet at this point.

Also mostly confirmed:
Young Thug - So Much Fun for May RHH
King Curtis - Live at Fillmore West for May Classics

All the others are a big fat ???? Maybe May Essentials is mostly figured out too? I kinda wasn't paying attention to the Electronic month.

Edit: Freddie Gibbs' Str8 Killa for April RHH and Tech N9ne - Absolute Power for June are both two pretty reasonable guesses that I would consider to be frontrunners. There's a chance we're way off on them, but at this point no one's got any better ideas (June isn't gonna be Eminem, y'all)

Last edited:
Merle is a pretty solid safe bet at this point.

Also mostly confirmed:
Young Thug - So Much Fun for May RHH
King Curtis - Live at Fillmore West for May Classics

All the others are a big fat ???? Maybe May Essentials is mostly figured out too? I kinda wasn't paying attention to the Electronic month.
I think electronic front-runner is Darkside and front-runner for RHH this month is Freddie Gibbs but those are not as much as a lock.

If anything affects playback it should only be VG
Yeah exactly.

Visual grading is very simple for me at the top:
Mint = sealed
NM = no visible marks
VG+ = visible marks that should not reasonably be expected to affect play, i.e. sleeve induced hairlines, absolutely nothing feelable

Number of plays has absolutely nothing to do with any grading except mint (0 plays). Just a reasonable feel good to include in a listing if you know the number and it is low.

Yeah exactly.

Visual grading is very simple for me at the top:
Mint = sealed
NM = no visible marks
VG+ = visible marks that should not reasonably be expected to affect play, i.e. sleeve induced hairlines, absolutely nothing feelable

Number of plays has absolutely nothing to do with any grading except mint (0 plays). Just a reasonable feel good to include in a listing if you know the number and it is low.

I had a run of bad luck on cogs, buying NM presses that sounded awful. I will go back to it & have bought some great title sin the past but got a bit annoyed with the (nowhere) near mint vinyl I was getting.

Some sellers on Discgs think any open record played more than one time starts at VG+.

I don't sell on Discogs (too scared) but that's how I grade my own records. If I buy it new, once it's open and I've listened to it, I mark it as VG+. I don't think there's anything wrong with grading in the way @Bloodlemons described, though; I just prefer to grade more conservatively.

VG+ is still a damn fine condition. I'm happy to own anything VG, which we should all remind ourselves actually stands for VERY GOOD (a reasonable condition IMO for media that gets at least a bit damaged literally every time you play it). I agree that below VG your enjoyment of the music will probably start to suffer, especially if it's a quieter style of music.

Last edited:
Only one of the guesses I'm pulling for is Captain Beefheart, maybe Doors. Everything else I already have decent pressings of.
Beefheart or Moby Grape's debut (which somebody mentioned might be difficult) would be most satisfactory Classic Rock picks. Most of the other options seem pretty underwhelming.

Doors debut would also be kinda cool, but feel like too many people probably have a copy of that? Even if I don't have one myself.

I don't sell on Discogs (too scared) but that's how I grade my own records. If I buy it new, once it's open and I've listened to it, I mark it as VG+. I don't think there's anything wrong with grading in the way @Bloodlemons described, though; I just prefer to grade more conservatively.

VG+ is still a damn fine condition. I'm happy to own anything VG, which we should all remind ourselves actually stands for VERY GOOD (a reasonable condition IMO for media that gets at least a bit damaged literally every time you listened to it). I agree that below VG your enjoyment of the music will probably start to suffer, especially if it's a quieter style of music.

I agree, VG should be good enough, & VG+ should sound fantastic. Some seller still very much stick to that, but some definitely don't. It's weird but I have sellers who I will keep going back to because I know they grade properly & others (with big stock) that I just won't touch again.

I had a run of bad luck on cogs, buying NM presses that sounded awful. I will go back to it & have bought some great title sin the past but got a bit annoyed with the (nowhere) near mint vinyl I was getting.
Not sure what condition the ones you received were in, but it is important to note, for anyone unaware, that unless otherwise stated, grading is visual. So, if any noise issues you have, at VG+ or better, can be tied to a visual mark, you should absolutely lodge a complaint with the seller. Unfortunately if the sound issues (or God forbid, a skip) are not visually apparent, you usually have to at least eat the shipping to return it.

Last edited:
Not sure what condition the ones you received were in, but it is important to note, for anyone unaware, that unless otherwise stated, grading is visual. So, if any noise issues you have, at VG+ or better, can be tied to a visual mark, you should absolutely lodge a complaint with the seller. Unfortunately if the sound issues (or God forbid, a skip) are not visually apparent, you usually have to at least eat the shipping to return it.

I don't generally complain, I just let my experience inform who I will purchase from. Some sellers grade them how I would & others don't, it's a gamble, risk / reward when going for cheaper items. If I find a seller I like, I'll keep going back to search their stock.

For NM, I don't think you can really argue, as it could be that it's never been played. However, I think there is a trend of just cleaning records well & calling them NM, even sometimes having visual marks.

For VG+ I think you should assume it's play graded unless stated as visually graded only. How could you say any marks don't affect playback if you don't listen to them.

The criteria for VG+ states, 'Defects should be more of a cosmetic nature, not affecting the actual playback as a whole. Record surfaces may show some signs of wear and may have slight scuffs or very light scratches that don't affect one's listening experiences. Slight warps that do not affect the sound are "OK".'

I don't generally complain, I just let my experience inform who I will purchase from. Some sellers grade them how I would & others don't, it's a gamble, risk / reward when going for cheaper items. If I find a seller I like, I'll keep going back to search their stock.

For NM, I don't think you can really argue, as it could be that it's never been played. However, I think there is a trend of just cleaning records well & calling them NM, even sometimes having visual marks.

For VG+ I think you should assume it's play graded unless stated as visually graded only. How could you say any marks don't affect playback if you don't listen to them.

The criteria for VG+ states, 'Defects should be more of a cosmetic nature, not affecting the actual playback as a whole. Record surfaces may show some signs of wear and may have slight scuffs or very light scratches that don't affect one's listening experiences. Slight warps that do not affect the sound are "OK".'
That's how I would rate VG+, but there are people who would say a scuff, light scratch or slight warp would effect playback. Or a light pop or some minor amount of surface noise.

I’m hoping King Curtis turns up as a pick .. Withnail and I is one of my favourite movies so that’s a great connection

What I would really, really love. Perhaps more than any other release is a vinyl release of this:

or even this

Some of the alternate songs from these nights are far better than on the standard Aretha Live at the Filmore & the standard King Curtis on it's own didn't quite cut it for me (although has some amazing tracks), they need to be put back together.

Many sellers sell hundreds or dozens of LPs a week. There is no reasonable expectation of play grading without stating otherwise. I would always make sure to send the seller a message and ask for play grading if that is your expectation. Some are happy to do so. You are right that a visual VG+ is not the same as a play graded VG+, but the visual VG+ can still be correct and accurate to visual grading standards.

Non-feelable marks don't usually affect sound significantly in my experience and that is the normal expectation of visually grading VG+. It is somewhat subjective and dependent on your level of conservatism though. But bottom line, if you receive it and you have a sounding mark, you have a legitimate complaint. If you have noise that cannot be tied to marks, they are not at fault.

If I think I'm dealing with an inexperienced grader, I will ask them to make sure nothing is feelable to feel better about my purchase. If there is a groove wear issue or non-visible pressing defect that causes sounding defects, it is not the responsibility of a visually grading seller.

Last edited:
Back