Vinyl Me Please Essentials

This list is another entry in the reasons why why 2020 was a complete dumpster fire a year.
I feel dumber for having seriously considered it before reading and especially for having read it.

Let 's be clear: Lemonade, VooDoo and Kanye's Ballerina Album, in any reality, should not be ranked higher than Sign of the Times, Illmatic or the Low End Theory.
Full Stop.
I suppose I should be injecting bleach to inoculate my self from COVID too? Horse-shit.

And at the point Red was positioned above: Three Feet High and Rising, The Queen is Dead, Disintegration AND The Downward Spiral -- I just stopped reading.

Hey Rolling Stone!....

P.S.
Hole's Live through this isn't; even in the top 200 albums of the 90s, let alone of ALL TIME.

This list is another entry in the reasons why why 2020 was a complete dumpster fire a year.
I feel dumber for having seriously considered it before reading and especially for having read it.

Let 's be clear: Lemonade, VooDoo and Kanye's Ballerina Album, in any reality, should not be ranked higher than Sign of the Times, Illmatic or the Low End Theory.
Full Stop.
I suppose I should be injecting bleach to inoculate my self from COVID too? Horse-shit.

And at the point Red was positioned above: Three Feet High and Rising, The Queen is Dead, Disintegration AND The Downward Spiral -- I just stopped reading.

Hey Rolling Stone!....

P.S.
Hole's Live through this isn't; even in the top 200 albums of the 90s, let alone of ALL TIME.

I agree that My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy and Beyoncé’s Lemonade shouldn’t be ranked so highly, but I think D’Angelo’s Voodoo is well deserving of its ranking!

I think Voodoo is a better album than Sign O’ The Times for sure, even though Prince is my all-time favourite artist!

I agree that My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy and Beyoncé’s Lemonade shouldn’t be ranked so highly, but I think D’Angelo’s Voodoo is well deserving of its ranking!

I think Voodoo is a better album than Sign O’ The Times for sure, even though Prince is my all-time favourite artist!
Then you must think Voodoo is better than anything Prince ever did b/c SOTT is his masterpiece.

Also....wrong.

To be fair, you may disagree but nobody's opinion can be considered as wrong because everyone is entitled to theirs, especially with something as subjective as this.
This is true but also, PURPLE RAIN IS A BOP AND SOTT IS NOT!!

Jokes aside Rolling Stone would be the last place I would be looking for a verdict or validation for an album.

To be fair, you may disagree but nobody's opinion can be considered as wrong because everyone is entitled to theirs, especially with something as subjective as this.
Kind of. When it’s assertions of others you are correct.
When I say it then it’s a matter of fact 😜

Solipsism- it’s a hell of a drug

Then you must think Voodoo is better than anything Prince ever did b/c SOTT is his masterpiece.

Also....wrong.
I think it’s hard to choose between Purple Rain, Sign O’ The Times and 1999 for which album is Prince’s best! I think Purple Rain is his best album - because that album instrumentally is so rich, layered and extravagant! When Doves Cry, The Beautiful Ones and Purple Rain are all better songs than any tracks on Sign O’ The Times in my opinion, even though Adore, Housequake, The Ballad of Dorothy Parker and If I Was Your Girlfriend are all stellar songs!

I think D’Angelo’s Voodoo is just as good as Sign O’ The Times, but Sign O’ The Times might be just a bit of a better album even though Voodoo is more consistent! They’re both quite equal for me, but are both really different albums too!

@Lord Diaper Baby - What do you think about this?

I honestly don’t think much of the album Diamonds and Pearls! It’s like a 7.1/10 for me! Love Symbol and Parade and Controversy and Prince and 3121 are all stronger albums in my opinion!

I realize you have like 2 and a half million albums that you've ranked between 9.5 and 10. But I think it's funny to read you say you don't think much of an album then give it a 7.1/10

Sgt Pepper is proper overrated bollocks though. That era defining psychadelic masterpiece full of mind expanding classic choons like Lovely Rita Meter Maid, When I'm 64 and, the ultimate meat and two veg rocker, Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band. It should have been lower

REPENT

@Lord Diaper Baby - What do you think about this?

I honestly don’t think much of the album Diamonds and Pearls! It’s like a 7.1/10 for me! Love Symbol and Parade and Controversy and Prince and 3121 are all stronger albums in my opinion!
Of course it’s all good natured ribbing and Voodoo is fan-fucking-tastic.
You say you don’t think much of D&P but give it a 7.1. That’s a good marking. I’d say it’s accurate in my estimation (low top tier Prince or high mid tier?).
Love Symbol is superb.
But I’d put 3121 the lowest of all those. I’d say 3121 is a highlight of his later career but like low mid tier overall.
For me, top 5 are SOTT, PR, 1999, Dirty Mind, then Controversy. Although Joy in Repetition is my favorite song and on none of those.
PR and SOTT are so close. For me, there is magic in SOTT. Like you can hear an artist in full view of their vision. But PR has some of his best vocals and the songs sound hungry. Like he had sent out warning shots of what he could do as an artist w 1999 and PR was for anyone who didn’t heed them (they sound like the hungry, single-minded artist depicted in the film). There are some guitar parts in there that are so progressive in their interplay w the rest of the band that they still make my ears perk up (Computer Blue, Darling Nikki).

Last edited:

Also....wrong.

Look...personal musical taste aside, I cant take this seriously if they are going to argue that from a critical, historical and "music nerd" perspective Voodoo is a better album and deserves to be ranked above: Disintegration, The Low End Theory, The White Album, Are You Experienced & Electric Ladyland, Legend, Dark Side of the Moon, Astral Weeks, Kind of Blue (Miles), The Downward Spiral and the Queen is Dead.

The years that have passed aside: DeAngelo and the Beatles are still part of what is considered "Modern Popular Music".

To make the point I'll use the the least talked about Genius on these boards: Jimi Hendrix.

Are you Experienced has Red House (a Modern Blues Classic) and Manic Depression.
Electric Ladyland has Crosstown Traffic, Voodoo Chile and Gypsy Eyes.
Despite the Guitar God label, the best songs from that list (Red House, Voodoo Chile) skew over the "Rock" genre and into the blues and R&B genre.
Its fair to compare Jimmy to DeAngelo objectively.

To be fair...That Voodoo album is good.
I like it.
I can accept its inclusion somewhere on the list.

But DeAngleo is no Hendrix and there is not ONE song on his excellent Voodoo album that critically, historically or (I would argue) artistically surpasses AYE or Electric Ladyland.
They just don't.
Full Stop.
Not critically, not historically and not artistically, particularly when viewed through the R&B lens.

Jimmy expanded the tastes of Guitar Rock/Hard Rock aficionados to include hard core blues and the R&B sound/vibe so that music nerds like me (whose personal music tastes include Metallica, Deftones, Wilco, Dino Jr., and other artists on the complete opposite end of the spectrum from Voodoo) agrees with @NathanRicaud and others that Voodoo is an excellent album and an R&B artistic achievement worthy of ranking in the top 500 albums of all time.

But to say that Voodoo surpasses AYE or Electric Ladyland in any appreciable way so as to have it ranked higher than either...is incoherent if you aren't playing favorites and are being the objective music nerd the list of contributors, I expect, holds themselves out to be.

R&B was wonderfully represented with Marvin Gaye at #1, shoe-horning Voodoo into the Top 30 is just not credible.

Of course it’s all good natured ribbing and Voodoo is fan-fucking-tastic.
You say you don’t think much of D&P but give it a 7.1. That’s a good marking. I’d say it’s accurate in my estimation (low top tier Prince or high mid tier?).
Love Symbol is superb.
But I’d put 3121 the lowest of all those. I’d say 3121 is a highlight of his later career but like low mid tier overall.
For me, top 5 are SOTT, PR, 1999, Dirty Mind, then Controversy. Although Joy in Repetition is my favorite song and on none of those.
PR and SOTT are so close. For me, there is magic in SOTT. Like you can hear an artist in full view of their vision. But PR has some of his best vocals and the songs sound hungry. Like he had sent out warning shots of what he could do as an artist w 1999 and PR was for anyone who didn’t heed them (they sound like the hungry, single-minded artist depicted in the film). There are some guitar parts in there that are so progressive in their interplay w the rest of the band that they still make my ears perk up (Computer Blue, Darling Nikki).
They are also five favourite Prince albums; Dirty Mind, Controversy, 1999, Purple Rain & Sign O’ The Times!!! We are so similar Lord!

And although Joy In Repetition isn’t my favourite song by Prince, it’s my favourite from Graffiti Bridge!

My favourite song by Prince would either ‘When You Were Mine’, ‘Lady Cab Driver’, ‘Little Red Corvette’ or ‘When Doves Cry’!

My favourite Prince song that is not on those five albums of his that we both love would have to be ‘Crazy You’ and ‘Girls & Boys’! I immensely love the song ‘Kiss’ too!

I love Prince so so so much! He’s my #1! ❤

Look...personal musical taste aside, I cant take this seriously if they are going to argue that from a critical, historical and "music nerd" perspective Voodoo is a better album and deserves to be ranked above: Disintegration, The Low End Theory, The White Album, Are You Experienced & Electric Ladyland, Legend, Dark Side of the Moon, Astral Weeks, Kind of Blue (Miles), The Downward Spiral and the Queen is Dead.

The years that have passed aside: DeAngelo and the Beatles are still part of what is considered "Modern Popular Music".

To make the point I'll use the the least talked about Genius on these boards: Jimi Hendrix.

Are you Experienced has Red House (a Modern Blues Classic) and Manic Depression.
Electric Ladyland has Crosstown Traffic, Voodoo Chile and Gypsy Eyes.
Despite the Guitar God label, the best songs from that list (Red House, Voodoo Chile) skew over the "Rock" genre and into the blues and R&B genre.
Its fair to compare Jimmy to DeAngelo objectively.

To be fair...That Voodoo album is good.
I like it.
I can accept its inclusion somewhere on the list.

But DeAngleo is no Hendrix and there is not ONE song on his excellent Voodoo album that critically, historically or (I would argue) artistically surpasses AYE or Electric Ladyland.
They just don't.
Full Stop.
Not critically, not historically and not artistically, particularly when viewed through the R&B lens.

Jimmy expanded the tastes of Guitar Rock/Hard Rock aficionados to include hard core blues and the R&B sound/vibe so that music nerds like me (whose personal music tastes include Metallica, Deftones, Wilco, Dino Jr., and other artists on the complete opposite end of the spectrum from Voodoo) agrees with @NathanRicaud and others that Voodoo is an excellent album and an R&B artistic achievement worthy of ranking in the top 500 albums of all time.

But to say that Voodoo surpasses AYE or Electric Ladyland in any appreciable way so as to have it ranked higher than either...is incoherent if you aren't playing favorites and are being the objective music nerd the list of contributors, I expect, holds themselves out to be.

R&B was wonderfully represented with Marvin Gaye at #1, shoe-horning Voodoo into the Top 30 is just not credible.
I am fine with Voodoo in the top 30. I have qualms with the list but that is not one of them.

Full Stop.

Hey Rolling Stone!....

P.S.

I thought My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy was ranked appropriately too. I think Live Through This is probably ranked a tad high but the album is pretty damn good record too.

Back