Vinyl Me Please Essentials

I prefer both Brown Sugar & Black Messiah over Voodoo šŸ™Š. And I also prefer both GKMC & Damn over To Pimp A Butterfly. I'm a heathenšŸ˜‚
I understand why many prefer both Brown Sugar and Black Messiah over Voodoo! All three D'Angelo albums are exceptional!

I understand even moreso why many prefer DAMN. and good kid, m.A.A.d City over To Pimp A Butterfly, as To Pimp A Butterfly is challenging, confrontational and is much less easy on the ears in comparison to the other two albums.

Kendrick Lamar himself prefers DAMN. and GKMC over To Pimp A Butterfly!

I think the songs on Voodoo are very memorable and catchy; it's certainly less complicated that Kendrick Lamar's To Pimp A Butterfly for example. Voodoo is just a very layered, rich album instrumentally and D'Angelo's vocals on Voodoo are angelic and buttery smooth!
but TPAB was a lot more various and pop ready and seemingly could appeal to everyone (dilla sounding songs, jazz rap, bangers, deep story but still banging lines). i dont remember much from voodoo.. after about song 2 i get fairly overwhelmed and everything blurs... variety is the spice of life that makes an album great.. having a distinct sound but also having songs that sound unique and different

I understand why many prefer both Brown Sugar and Black Messiah over Voodoo! All three D'Angelo albums are exceptional!

I understand even moreso why many prefer DAMN. and good kid, m.A.A.d City over To Pimp A Butterfly, as To Pimp A Butterfly is challenging, confrontational and is much less easy on the ears in comparison to the other two albums.

Kendrick Lamar himself prefers DAMN. and GKMC over To Pimp A Butterfly!
Yeah, I still think Voodoo and TPAB are great albums. And I can appreciate their importance & influence and understand why they're held in such high regard. But at the end of the day, I just enjoy the other albums more.

I don't think a perfect album exists, but Brown Sugar is pretty close to it for me.

but TPAB was a lot more various and pop ready and seemingly could appeal to everyone (dilla sounding songs, jazz rap, bangers, deep story but still banging lines). i dont remember much from voodoo.. after about song 2 i get fairly overwhelmed and everything blurs... variety is the spice of life that makes an album great.. having a distinct sound but also having songs that sound unique and different
That's a very solid point you make about To Pimp A Butterfly! It is an album that appeals to everyone, whereas Voodoo doesn't! I agree to that TPAB is extraordinary in that it has banging lines/bangers, but has a deep story behind it!

Back to D'Angelo's Voodoo though, Devil's Pie, the second song on Voodoo, is incredibly different to Playa Playa, the first song on Voodoo. Devil's Pie is a meaty, dull, frustrated, boom-bap, hip-hop, holy kind of track whereas Playa Playa is very atmospheric and soulful and doesn't have that irritated tone or hip-hop/boom-bap' element found on Playa Playa.

Then the third track - Left & Right - is a completely different song again! The playful, fiddly, shuffling guitar melody on that song is catchy, and you have guest appearances by Method Man and Redman on the track too! It's a dizzying song even though it sounds quite straightforward!

Give the album another shot, I think you might end up loving the album Dukey! It's a very immersive, indulgent album so it's not for everyone!

Yeah, I still think Voodoo and TPAB are great albums. And I can appreciate their importance & influence and understand why they're held in such high regard. But at the end of the day, I just enjoy the other albums more.

I don't think a perfect album exists, but Brown Sugar is pretty close to it for me.
Brown Sugar is perfection to me! Ughhh, so so so so so so good! ā¤

That's a very solid point you make about To Pimp A Butterfly! It is an album that appeals to everyone, whereas Voodoo doesn't! I agree to that TPAB is extraordinary in that it has banging lines/bangers, but has a deep story behind it!

Back to D'Angelo's Voodoo though, Devil's Pie, the second song on Voodoo, is incredibly different to Playa Playa, the first song on Voodoo. Devil's Pie is a meaty, dull, frustrated, boom-bap, hip-hop, holy kind of track whereas Playa Playa is very atmospheric and soulful and doesn't have that irritated tone or hip-hop/boom-bap' element found on Playa Playa.

Then the third track - Left & Right - is a completely different song again! The playful, fiddly, shuffling guitar melody on that song is catchy, and you have guest appearances by Method Man and Redman on the track too! It's a dizzying song even though it sounds quite straightforward!

Give the album another shot, I think you might end up loving the album Dukey! It's a very immersive, indulgent album so it's not for everyone!
tbh i think its partially just that devils pie is such a long song i get exhausted during it

My favorite Dā€™Angelo album is whichever one I have listened to most recently.

I was lucky enough to see Dā€™Angelo play live back in 2015 outside after a thunderstorm and it was an insanely good concert. His band was so solid. Sadly the set got cut short from the rain delay but he closed with an epic version of How Does It Feel. One of my top 5 concerts for sure.

i guess i need to grow up to understand these longer more complex artists.. just the first 16 minutes being on 3 songs kinda made me exhausted.. i dont even hate long albums.. im excited for stankonia because that has like 40 different sounds and songs that still bump like crazy... i think my issue with neo soul is probably the CD length and the fact that they dont really go into the heavy, surreal, messed up ideas. voodoo is unique but i just remember it sounding like a bunch of hip hop soul music

I personally donā€™t care much for Frank Oceanā€™s Blond but I understand it is an important generation defining album and Iā€™m not gonna argue with anyone who agrees with that sentiment.
i would debate them that Channel Orange is Frank's generation defining album in my opinion Blond doesn't compare in quality it's still a very solid album tho.

i guess i need to grow up to understand these longer more complex artists.. just the first 16 minutes being on 3 songs kinda made me exhausted.. i dont even hate long albums.. im excited for stankonia because that has like 40 different sounds and songs that still bump like crazy... i think my issue with neo soul is probably the CD length and the fact that they dont really go into the heavy, surreal, messed up ideas. voodoo is unique but i just remember it sounding like a bunch of hip hop soul music
Mmmmm I definitely understand where youā€™re coming from! Dā€™Angeloā€™s Voodoo is not a stimulating album like Stankonia and To Pimp a Butterfly. You donā€™t have to enjoy the album, but maybe if you revisit the album a few years down the line, you might love it! šŸ”‘šŸ’”

I used to only like R&B and hip-hop and a bit of reggae, and now I love rock, jazz, electronic, pop, blues, indie and other genres like Afrobeat, Juju, bossa nova, Caribbean, flamenco and Cuban! My music taste within the last four years in particular has widely expanded and I am so grateful and just love it! I feel like my appreciation for music has become so rich! šŸ„°

It takes time for everyone. Iā€™m not saying you have to like Voodoo, but there might be a time where you really enjoy neo-soul albums by the likes of Maxwell, Erykah Badu, Jill Scott etc!

But then again, you love Black Messiah. I feel like I understand your music taste but at the same time I donā€™t at all...ā†˜ļøā†™ļøā†–ļø

Like do you love the album Blackout by Britney Spears? šŸ¤”

Back