Vinyl Me Please Essentials

Yeah, Aquemini was in the top #50 at #49 from memory! And yes Taylor Swift and Drake were both in the top #100 Mind-blown! šŸ¤Æ

It is a silly company as their end-of-year lists are very much based around popularity, but I really like this new list because it seems more representative of music as a whole! It has a nice amount of albums from each decade, even though most albums are still from the 60ā€™s and 70ā€™s from that list! šŸ‘

Highlights of the new RollingStones list was Britney Spearsā€™ Blackout entering the list, and Lauryn Hillā€™s The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill tanking at #10 on the list! ā­šŸ‘šŸ‘šŸ‘

Other highlights of the list include Amy Winehouseā€™s Back to Black and NaSā€™ Illmatic both ranking inside the top #50 and Kendrick Lamarā€™s To Pimp a Butterfly ranking inside the top #20! ā›„šŸ˜

Joni Mitchell, an album by a woman, is ranked #3 as well, which is great. And if it was to be any album to be the highest ranked by a woman, Iā€™m glad itā€™s Joni Mitchellā€™s Blue! šŸ™

Destinyā€™s Child classic album ā€œWritings On The Wallā€ ranked at #291! So good, especially as it contains incredible production, ridiculously catchy songs and includes the iconic single ā€œSay My Nameā€! šŸ”„šŸ”„šŸ”„
The voters were a lot younger this time around which is why we saw something like Aquemini jump from #500 in 2003 to #49. I think thereā€™s a list of who voted Somewhere

The voters were a lot younger this time around which is why we saw something like Aquemini jump from #500 in 2003 to #49. I think thereā€™s a list of who voted Somewhere
It was started from scratch and there was like 300+ critics/journalists involved in making the list!

Illmatic and Enter The Wu-Tang Clan
were also massive jumps! Illmatic wasnā€™t in the top #400 beforehand and is now ranked #44! šŸ‘€

You know whatā€™s crazy! Thereā€™s at least 10 hip-hop albums in the top #50 now! āœŠšŸ¤Ÿā¤ļø

BeyoncĆ©ā€™s Lemonade coming in at #32 had me gagging!!! šŸ˜±

Yeah, Aquemini was in the top #50 at #49 from memory! And yes Taylor Swift and Drake were both in the top #100 Mind-blown! šŸ¤Æ

It is a silly company as their end-of-year lists are very much based around popularity, but I really like this new list because it seems more representative of music as a whole! It has a nice amount of albums from each decade, even though most albums are still from the 60ā€™s and 70ā€™s from that list! šŸ‘

Highlights of the new RollingStones list was Britney Spearsā€™ Blackout entering the list, and Lauryn Hillā€™s The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill tanking at #10 on the list! ā­šŸ‘šŸ‘šŸ‘

Other highlights of the list include Amy Winehouseā€™s Back to Black and NaSā€™ Illmatic both ranking inside the top #50 and Kendrick Lamarā€™s To Pimp a Butterfly ranking inside the top #20! ā›„šŸ˜

Joni Mitchell, an album by a woman, is ranked #3 as well, which is great. And if it was to be any album to be the highest ranked by a woman, Iā€™m glad itā€™s Joni Mitchellā€™s Blue! šŸ™

Destinyā€™s Child classic album ā€œWritings On The Wallā€ ranked at #291! So good, especially as it contains incredible production, ridiculously catchy songs and includes the iconic single ā€œSay My Nameā€! šŸ”„šŸ”„šŸ”„
I mean yeah itā€™s nice that itā€™s all-encompassing, but trying to put all types of music into one list and say ā€œthese are the 500 best albums of all time because 30 of us said soā€ is nonsensical clickbait. I give RS as much credit as Pitchfork.

I would love to know how to objectively compare Dā€™Angelo to Joni Mitchell.

I mean yeah itā€™s nice that itā€™s all-encompassing, but trying to put all types of music into one list and say ā€œthese are the 500 best albums of all time because 30 of us said soā€ is nonsensical clickbait. I give RS as much credit as Pitchfork.

I would love to know how to objectively compare Dā€™Angelo to Joni Mitchell.
They seem to have had 300 people (musicians, producers, music journalists, etc.) vote and give a ranked ballot of their top 50 albums of all time. Thatā€™s why the list is a bit all over the place and why they arenā€™t really directly comparing any of these albums.

It was started from scratch and there was like 300+ critics/journalists involved in making the list!

Illmatic and Enter The Wu-Tang Clan
were also massive jumps! Illmatic wasnā€™t in the top #400 beforehand and is now ranked #44! šŸ‘€

You know whatā€™s crazy! Thereā€™s at least 10 hip-hop albums in the top #50 now! āœŠšŸ¤Ÿā¤

BeyoncĆ©ā€™s Lemonade coming in at #32 had me gagging!!! šŸ˜±

You don't like Lemomade? šŸ‹ šŸ‹ šŸ‹

You don't like Lemomade? šŸ‹ šŸ‹ šŸ‹
I love Lemonade! Itā€™s a stunning album, and is a true masterpiece! I was just so shocked to see the album ranked so highly on the RollingStones list! I wouldā€™ve never have thought it would rank inside the top #50! šŸ¤Ŗ

Lemonade was definitely one of the best albums of 2016! I was very happy to see BeyoncĆ©, Rihanna, Frank Ocean & Solange to have albums from 2016 all be ranked on this list! I was so freaking happy to see Frank Oceanā€™s Blonde at #79! Itā€™s my second favourite albums of the 2010ā€™s with To Pimp a Butterfly being my #1! ā¤ļøšŸŒˆšŸ›šŸ¦‹šŸ†

They each put in their Top 50. How do they do the other 450 albums? Do they just consider the albums that were provided by the voters?
Each ranking gets a certain amount of points (i.e. a 1st place vote = 50 points, 2nd place vote - 49, etc). They tabulate all the points and whichever album has the highest overall score is the #1 album. With 300 people voting, there's likely a large enough pool to be able to generate 500 albums that got multiple votes somewhere in the top 50.

"I've only had time to listen to this new Harry Styles album like 3 times, but it's definitely one of the top 500 albums ever......over Quadrophenia and all King Crimson albums."
The benefit and the curse of having younger voters this time around haha It's, overall, a very silly and meaningless list generated to get people like us to talk about it.

Each ranking gets a certain amount of points (i.e. a 1st place vote = 50 points, 2nd place vote - 49, etc). They tabulate all the points and whichever album has the highest overall score is the #1 album. With 300 people voting, there's likely a large enough pool to be able to generate 500 albums that got multiple votes somewhere in the top 50.
Yeah thatā€™s what I figured, just didnā€™t say exactly how they generated beyond the top 50. Seems like they had around 3,000 total albums lol

Yeah thatā€™s what I figured, just didnā€™t say exactly how they generated beyond the top 50. Seems like they had around 3,000 total albums lol
In a way it's kind of interesting to see which albums transcended generations between what would typically be the RS audience/staff and a younger crowd. Of course you're gonna get out of left field picks that get 1 vote or something, but all-in-all it's not a COMPLETELY awful way to come up with the list. Once you look at it from the lens of the way things were scored, I'm not really bothered by anything in it since it's a really subjective thing.

Ranking albums by ā€œgreatnessā€ is always going to be tough. I donā€™t give lists like this much credence because itā€™s impossible for me to know the personal tastes and opinions of every single voter. I can lend credence to lists compiled by critics whoā€˜s critiques Iā€™ve followed and found to be consistent. But something like this is always going to be a crap shoot.

At best, you can hopefully make some new discoveries. And I am glad to see more modern selections included.

Back